• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is bullying more acceptable....

kateyes

I don't think bullying is acceptable anywhere--online or off. I have left forums because I felt bullying was going on--even here (on very rare occasions)--I have felt a response to a reasonable question or statement-had a bullying tone. I tend to go away when that happens. One of the things I have always liked about forums is the opportunity to share thoughts and opinions with people around the world. That doesn't happen if someone takes a superior or bullying stance.

Kavi

One of the things I have always liked about forums is the opportunity to share thoughts and opinions with people around the world.

Right, and taking it too far is not acceptable at all. Bullying is the same online and offline. There could be an insecure person on one end being bullied online, and that can lead to bad things. Especially if the person is depressed; no one knows what could happen if the person is constantly being put down like that. Though the person isn't physically abused, they are still being abused mentally.

UnTheist

The question is: Is bullying part of our human nature, and is it worth trying to get rid of it?

I seem to have a problem with people who complain about things they can't change. Just as much as people complain about bad things happening in their life, I don't think saying 'it's wrong' will really help with anything. And I don't think we will ever get rid of it. Not even close

Of course this is just my thought on it. Take it as you will

Mike182

Flaming Queer
`PaWz said:
The question is: Is bullying part of our human nature, and is it worth trying to get rid of it?

I seem to have a problem with people who complain about things they can't change. Just as much as people complain about bad things happening in their life, I don't think saying 'it's wrong' will really help with anything. And I don't think we will ever get rid of it. Not even close

i think there is a difference between complaining that "life has thrown me some lemons, first my car breaks down and now i twist my ankle" and "that guy keeps punching me in the face".

i don't really like people who excessively complain that life has thrown them lemons like the first example, an by excessive i mean when they are at the point of doing nothign but complaining about it, but bullying is different to life throwing lemons, it is another person making an active choice and they can be dissuaded from choosing that way in the future with the right approach.

i know it's a big problem, and i can say that from being at the bottom of this very barrel, but sitting back and going "we aint ever gonna stop it all, so why even start" means a lot more people who need help and suffer from serious bullying will commit suicide than already do.

Fluffy

A fool
I think it is generally more acceptable because people become more divorced from the consequences of their actions. Bullying in real life, you are forced to see the affect you are having on the other person and this can temper your actions or cause you to feel regret etc.

However, I also think it is easier to deal with bullying online for pretty much the same reasons. You can totally divorce yourself from the bullies existence. They are just letters on a screen no matter how vicious they might be.

Mercy Not Sacrifice

`PaWz said:

That'd probably take an entire discussion to short out.

In short, I look at it this way: Let's say that somebody owns a barn that is chock-full of knives. Just because the knives are there doesn't mean that he should use them to go stab people.

Likewise, just because we have the capacity to hurt others does not mean we should do so.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Cyber bullies are about as pathetic as they come. Rather than reason with someone, they resort to abusive behaviors. We have no need for that type here on RF.

I don't think that bullying should ever be acceptable anywhere... on the internet you can still hurt someone's feelings... because even though what you see are just words on the screen, you know that there's a real person behind them...

UnTheist

Is bullying more acceptable on the internet?

For example; in chat rooms and forums such as these?
Yes, I feel it is more acceptable, mostly due to the fact that you can't see the person and s/he can't touch you.

Basically, it's almost harmless compared to 'actual' bullying. That doesn't mean I condone it.

Scuba Pete

Is bullying more acceptable on the internet?

For example; in chat rooms and forums such as these?
Yes, and it occurs here as much as anywhere. It happens most when people cease to care about the feelings/opinions of others and let the hate filled users have their way. Quite often the bullies take advantage of an unlevel playing field in order to simply drive people away. They can not accept the fact that you disagree with them, so they make your presence as unpleasant as possible. No, the mods can't always seem to get a handle on this or resolve it, so you simply go where the bully is not present. Even worse, they use the mods to their own advantage so they can simply silence you. It should be pointed out that this happens on every forum on the internet, and not just on RF. No matter, it's just as odious, and it seems to emanate from the religious right as well as the evangelistic atheists. I am sure they justify their intolerance in their own mind, but that does not ameliorate the hate felt by the bullied.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I do not believe it is, but I find the victims as guilty (in most cases) as the bully. My reason behind this is most online chats, games, instant messengers, or what not have an ignore or report feature. If people take the bullying and do not take the steps to ignore or report the bully, I do not feel sorry for them.

Scuba Pete

but I find the victims as guilty (in most cases) as the bully.
They still say that about rape victims and I find the concept absolutely disgusting. It's a power trip and nothing more. People often vote with their feet rather than put up with the bully. Sad, that.

dani_

I do not believe it is ever more acceptable but it is more prevalent. People often post or say things on the net they would never have the courage to say in person and often they are hurtful mean and horrible things.

Dani

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
They still say that about rape victims and I find the concept absolutely disgusting.
With rape though, it's not like the victim can push a few buttons, and suddenly the rapist can no longer communicate to her.

UnTheist

They still say that about rape victims and I find the concept absolutely disgusting. It's a power trip and nothing more. People often vote with their feet rather than put up with the bully. Sad, that.
Too bad they aren't comparable. With rape, you don't have a choice. But with online bullying, you have the option to put them on ignore or go to a different discussion board, or get off the internet entirely.

Scuba Pete

Too bad they aren't comparable. With rape, you don't have a choice.
You don't ASK to be bullied. Both rely on hate combined with aggression and the ability to exert undue POWER over another individual. Both leave psychological scars. However, the point was not trying to make them "equal", but to show that both are predatory in nature.
But with online bullying, you have the option to put them on ignore or go to a different discussion board, or get off the internet entirely.
You can justify your meanness in any way that you want. In fact, you have just done that. Sad, really. There is no reason why anyone should feel unwelcome here or anywhere else. There is no honor or class in being a cyber bully, and there certainly is none for allowing them to spread their hate unabated. I find it disturbing that you would try to justify being a bully in this manner.

UnTheist

You don't ASK to be bullied. Both rely on hate combined with aggression and the ability to exert undue POWER over another individual. Both leave psychological scars. However, the point was not trying to make them "equal", but to show that both are predatory in nature.
Of course. But my point was that cyber-bullying most certainly causes less damage, and you have a choice to ignore it entirely.
You can justify your meanness in any way that you want. In fact, you have just done that. Sad, really.
:rolleyes:
There is no reason why anyone should feel unwelcome here or anywhere else. There is no honor or class in being a cyber bully, and there certainly is none for allowing them to spread their hate unabated. I find it disturbing that you would try to justify being a bully in this manner.
I can't believe you're spewing this crap at me. Where was I justifying cyber-bullying? I would love for you to point out exactly where I said it.

Scuba Pete

Of course. But my point was that cyber-bullying most certainly causes less damage, and you have a choice to ignore it entirely.
I never attempted to equate rape as being as physically dangerous as bullying. However, they both have the same psychological roots in the need for someone to exert power over another.
I can't believe you're spewing this crap at me. Where was I justifying cyber-bullying? I would love for you to point out exactly where I said it.
I certainly don't see you having any compassion for the abused in your post, and there is absolutely NO hint of you condemning such practices. In fact, it appears that you are attempting to minimize the damages that the bullied endure. Feel free to clarify your position if you feel that cyber bullying is wrong. It would be welcome to read. There is simply no excuse for being a bully. That doesn't mean you always HAVE to agree with everyone, but you shouldn't single someone out to be punished either.

UnTheist

You're right: I don't have any compassion for the abused; over the internet at least. They have all the resources they need to take care of it themselves. And it's so easy, a caveman can do it!

Again, I am not making excuses for being a cyber-bully. I just don't find it a big issue, that's all.