• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is bullying more acceptable....

porkchop

I'm Heffer!!!
Is bullying more acceptable on the internet?

For example; in chat rooms and forums such as these?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Not at all.

In school I was repeatedly the victim of bullying, and whether it's physical or verbal makes little difference - at least in my experience.

Bullying reveals a lot about character, especially on the internet where all we know of the bully are the words.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
Guitar's Cry said:
Not at all.

Bullying reveals a lot about character, especially on the internet where all we know of the bully are the words.

What he said! :D Also, people's feelings can still be hurt and that is never okay.

PureX

Veteran Member
I think it's easier for people to express their less-than-best inclinations on line because they are basically anonymous, and too far away to expect any real consequences for their behavior.

On the other hand, you could think of this a great place to hone your own skills at cutting the bullies down with your own words, as they can't actually do anything to you when you nail 'em, either. Maybe the safety of the internet will give you a chance to confront such people, so that you'll be better at it in real life when you have to be.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
porkchop said:

Bullying is never acceptable in my opinion. It happens online because people can't see the hurt they cause. People will say something to you in the anonimity of an online discussion forum that they would not consider saying to your face. The words hurt just as much online as they would in person. I almost think they hurt even more because you feel so powerless against this invisible person who feels that it's somehow appropriate to attack you without even knowing you. To me, anyone who bullies online is a coward, plain and simple.

UnTheist

I see bullying all over Xbox Live. You have no idea what kind of trash talk they throw at you.

But as much as I don't like it, I think it would be safe to say you should try to tolerate it, because it will never go away.

I do find it more acceptable because nothing will really happen. I don't condone it, but nobody is physically hurt, and you can leave the chat room or forum anytime you want

PetShopBoy88

Yes. The internet is a really easy place to get away from bullying. It's really easy to close my browser if people start saying things I don't like. In person, though, it's a lot harder to run away, because there's always the physicality of it.

I will qualify my answer by restating the question, with emphasis added "Is bullying more acceptable..." I wouldn't go so far as to say it is flat out acceptable, but it's better than bullying in person. Much like a quick death is better than being tortured to death. They're both bad, but one certainly has its advantages.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
porkchop said:

depends entirely upon the moderators and the other members - this specific forum does not tollerate verbal abuse, the mods have no problems in dealing with people dishing out abuse and the members have always been willing to report any abuse they see.

i've seen forums where the mods themselves dish out abuse, safe to say i left the forums like that pretty darn quickly.

but likewise, in real life as well, it depends upon who is involved in the situation which dictates if bullying is accepted or not - some teachers in my school would crack down on any kid who bullies others, and other teachers would do nothing at all.

i personally despise bullying, i regret the instances in my past where i have been purposefully mean towards others, and i try very hard to avoid being mean to others now.

Edit:
i don't think bullying is acceptable, but i think that in some situations bullying goes unchallenged, and over the internet bullying is typically less likely to go unchallenges.

A

angellous_evangellous

If you feel bullied on RF, you should report the post.

However, you should definately consider the context... agressive disagreements are a part of debate and have little or no place in discussion.

Also, in a debate, if you present your opinion as a premise (or as evidence), then it is open to crtique or attack, but never your person. That is, your evidence can be subject to intense rhetoric, but your evidence is not related to your self.

So in a debate your opinions can be stupid (baseless, ignorant, unrelated) but not you because you could be promoting a stupid premise that you do not actually hold. Disagreement about premises is what debate is all about, and that is not an attack whatsoever on the person - - if, of course, the premise/evidence is being subject to criticism and not the person.

Many times people do not seperate the two... and feel like they are being bullied or attacked when it is in fact their evidence that is being addressed .... and some people resort only to attacking people rather than premises in a debate.

Zephyr

Moved on
I'm kind of split on the issue. On one hand, it's much easier to get away from, but on the other, you can't fight back like in real life.

evearael

I have little tolerance for bullying online or in real life. It's just... pathetic, really. What kind of person gets their kicks out of going out of their way to be insulting to tens, hundreds, thousands of people they've never met? It's petty. I just want to tell them to get a life.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Online, it's much easier to be a bully without consequence. The internet gives an anonymity to people that "enpowers" them to say things to someone's monitor that they would never say to that person's face.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
angellous_evangellous said:
If you feel bullied on RF, you should report the post.

However, you should definately consider the context... agressive disagreements are a part of debate and have little or no place in discussion.

Also, in a debate, if you present your opinion as a premise (or as evidence), then it is open to crtique or attack, but never your person. That is, your evidence can be subject to intense rhetoric, but your evidence is not related to your self.

So in a debate your opinions can be stupid (baseless, ignorant, unrelated) but not you because you could be promoting a stupid premise that you do not actually hold. Disagreement about premises is what debate is all about, and that is not an attack whatsoever on the person - - if, of course, the premise/evidence is being subject to criticism and not the person.

Many times people do not seperate the two... and feel like they are being bullied or attacked when it is in fact their evidence that is being addressed .... and some people resort only to attacking people rather than premises in a debate.
Yeah, try working in phone sales at some point...if you can't differentiate between rejection of the product and rejection of you as a person, you'll spend a lot of time very miserable. I've had blazing rows with people on here I actually quite like...they can't help it if their opinions suck.:p
I have a tendency to be sharp and sarcastic though, so people with delicate feelings I'm sure at some point take it personally. Never is though...I find it almost impossible to muster up anything like actual contempt for a person, whereas some of the things those same people come out with never cease to be worthy of the utmost contempt.
As long as you're still living though, there's still time for you to come round to my way of thinking.;)
Oh, and Purex...for calling Mike a wuss, you and me behind the shelter sheds after school, mate. I'll have ya.:fight:

Mercy Not Sacrifice

porkchop said:

Perhaps not, but I think some people feel more comfortable bullying others online. There aren't as many consequences to own up to when harrassing another person.

Thankfully it hasn't happened here from what I can tell, but I have witnessed some particularly nasty online feuds that can make the experience (and sometimes life) hell for both them and innocent bystanders. :(

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
Quoth The Raven said:
Oh, and Purex...for calling Mike a wuss, you and me behind the shelter sheds after school, mate. I'll have ya.:fight:
Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!

Katzpur said:
Bullying is never acceptable in my opinion. It happens online because people can't see the hurt they cause. People will say something to you in the anonimity of an online discussion forum that they would not consider saying to your face. The words hurt just as much online as they would in person. I almost think they hurt even more because you feel so powerless against this invisible person who feels that it's somehow appropriate to attack you without even knowing you. To me, anyone who bullies online is a coward, plain and simple.

i agree, if somone is getting hurt than its a problem.