• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Buddhism a Religion?

firedragon

Veteran Member
I am being dismissive of your claims, since their reach extend both known facts and your supporting evidence by such a wide margin.

You should expect that, now and ever.

But truly, I do think that you are simply confused. That is far more likely than any other conceivable explanation for such recklessness.

Peace.

siti

I've never heard of a non-religious Buddhist, so I wouldn't know where to begin looking for one in order to ask them.
Just ask the Buddhists that you know - I doubt you would have to ask very many before you find one who says Buddhism is not a religion.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Those of Buddhism who believe that Buddha got Revelation form G-d then it is a Revealed Religion.
Those of Buddhism who believe that Buddha did not get Revelation from G-d then it is a Religion.
Regards

FooYang

Are any of the various Buddhisms -- or "branches of Buddhism" -- a religion?

If not, then why not? If your reasoning is that this or that branch of Buddhism fails to worship gods, then why is it necessary to worship gods before something is a religion? Do you have a solid reason for saying it is necessary to worship gods before something can be considered a religionn? Or are you just messing with us?

Aside from the fact that the concept of a "religion" in the organised sense (treating these divine traditions as entities) is a modern invention......

The history of Buddhist practice has always been "religious". It is only through Western pseudoacademic, materialism-based reappropriation stemming from aspects of the Theravada tradition of Buddhism has this false notion against Buddhism being "religious" has emerged.

It is as "religious" and "spiritual" as Christianity, Saivism, Islam, Judaism, Zoroastrianism, Shakta etc all are.