• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Buddhism a branch of Hinduism

Status
Not open for further replies.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Crossfire, kindly note (and if you have any doubts, kindly go through my posts), I never said that Buddha taught Hinduism. Buddha taught 'dhamma' which is not different from Hindu 'dharma'.
If Buddha never taught Hinduism, then how can Buddhism have ever been a branch of Hinduism?

And who said Brahman is substance? Brahman is not definable. It is not this as well as not that ('Neti-neti'). Substance also is Brahman and non-substance also is Brahman. A RigVeda line which I quote frequently is 'Sages who searched with their heart's thought discovered the existent's kinship in the non-existent.' (Rig Veda: Rig-Veda, Book 10: HYMN CXXIX. Creation.). The hymn categorically says that 'The Gods are later than this world's production. Who knows then whence it first came into being?' Brahman is like physical energy (the closest I can describe it), substance as well as non-substance. Atman means 'This Self' as well as 'That Self'. They are not two selves but only one, 'Eko sad, Dwiteeyo nasti' (What exists is one, there is no second). It does not mean 'This Soul' and 'God'.
All of this is still quite different from Buddhism's Process-based focus on dependent co-arising.
The non-dual awareness in Hinduism also is just that. A few examples from BhagawadGita:

"The humble sages, by virtue of true knowledge, see with equal vision a learned and gentle brāhmaṇa, a cow, an elephant, a dog and an outcaste." Gita 5.18
"Those who are seers of the truth have concluded that of the nonexistent [the material body] there is no endurance and of the eternal [Brahman] there is no change. This they have concluded by studying the nature of both." Gita 2.16
"One who neither hates nor desires the fruits of his activities is known to be always renounced. Such a person, free from all dualities, easily overcomes material bondage and is completely liberated, O mighty-armed Arjuna." Gita 5.3
"A person who neither rejoices upon achieving something pleasant nor laments upon obtaining something unpleasant, who is self-intelligent, who is unbewildered, and who knows Brahman is already situated in transcendence." Gita 5.20
Gita was most likely written after Buddha was around teaching, no? Did Buddha ever quote it?

Last edited:

Shantanu

I understand but these things are too tricky to put a label on something that mean different things to different people. To get a serious discussion we probably will need to explain ourselves in sentences.

For example, how many people in a hundred really understand what 'Existential Buddhism' means? It must be explained again and again.
The OP raised the question of whether Buddhism is a branch of Hinduism because India has been the geographical region for a great many religious movements. Hindus are known for their spirituality. We Hindus discovered Buddhism from amid centuries of spiritual thought and interactions among monks. We Hindus are never satisfied with our knowledge and continue with the thoughts to fine tune what we consider to be in the interests of humanity. This is why we always need to conduct revisionary research. Science and technology has changed and we have come from ages when information was passed down the generations through oral traditions (unreliable as these get modified) to the invention of written language and now we are in the internet age where knowledge is widely accessible. So we need to move with the times and always be open to new ideas. Those who live in the past are destined to suffer.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
The OP raised the question of whether Buddhism is a branch of Hinduism because India has been the geographical region for a great many religious movements. Hindus are known for their spirituality. We Hindus discovered Buddhism from amid centuries of spiritual thought and interactions among monks. We Hindus are never satisfied with our knowledge and continue with the thoughts to fine tune what we consider to be in the interests of humanity. This is why we always need to conduct revisionary research. Science and technology has changed and we have come from ages when information was passed down the generations through oral traditions (unreliable as these get modified) to the invention of written language and now we are in the internet age where knowledge is widely accessible. So we need to move with the times and always be open to new ideas. Those who live in the past are destined to suffer.

Do you think Buddhists live in the past? If you was well read in Buddhist texts you would know buddha say we should not dwell in the past, that does not mean the teaching is outdated. it means we take the teaching and live our life in the moment. not dwelling in the past suffering we endure in this life, and not worry about the future

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
If Buddha never taught Hinduism, then how can Buddhism have ever been a branch of Hinduism?
All of this is still quite different from Buddhism's Process-based focus on dependent co-arising.
Gita was most likely written after Buddha was around teaching, no? Did Buddha ever quote it?
- If Buddha was teaching 'dhamma', that is Hinduism. You can, otherwise, hardly define Hinduism. You can find the exact opposite of any system of philosophy in Hinduism. 'Dhamma' alone is common to all dharmic religions.
- IMHO, Dependent co-orgination is sort of a weakness in Buddhism. Buddha did not know about Big Bang and Quantum Mechanics.
- Yeah, it was written after Buddha's time, but it shows the trend. Buddha too arose from the same milieu. Buddha even does not talk about any of the current popular Gods in Hinduism (Shiva, Durga, Rama or Krishna). He only talks about what bothered him, i.e., Indra, Brahma, etc. Perhaps Buddha had no quarrel with worshipers of indigenous Hindu Gods.

Shantanu

Do you think Buddhists live in the past? If you was well read in Buddhist texts you would know buddha say we should not dwell in the past, that does not mean the teaching is outdated. it means we take the teaching and live our life in the moment. not dwelling in the past suffering we endure in this life, and not worry about the future
Why are you mad that Buddhism is being damaged by me?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Why are you mad that Buddhism is being damaged by me?
I am not mad. But i do not understand why you want to destroy something as good as Buddha dharma, I do not understand why you in one moment praise buddha and the next moment you condem it and say it is a evil path. then suddenly you want to found a new path within buddhism. Nothing you say is to the good for Buddhism or for teaching truth

Shantanu

I am not mad. But i do not understand why you want to destroy something as good as Buddha dharma, I do not understand why you in one moment praise buddha and the next moment you condem it and say it is a evil path. then suddenly you want to found a new path within buddhism. Nothing you say is to the good for Buddhism or for teaching truth
I want to devise a religion that will help people attain nirvana within this lifetime, is that clear?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I want to devise a religion that will help people attain nirvana within this lifetime, is that clear?
First you must become enlighten you self to be able to make a true cultivation path, that can save people and then you must create a Nirvana they can enter when they pass away fro this life. Then you must have a teaching that only contain truth and how to go from a non enlighten person to an enlighten being.

Shantanu

First you must become enlighten you self to be able to make a true cultivation path, that can save people and then you must create a Nirvana they can enter when they pass away fro this life. Then you must have a teaching that only contain truth and how to go from a non enlighten person to an enlighten being.
As long as I can always answer any questions posed to me I will call myself an enlightened person.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
As long as I can always answer any questions posed to me I will call myself an enlightened person.
Enlightenment is something that happens not something we can say now i want to be enlighten so i am. That again show that you do not understand Buddhism and what the teaching is.

You can not create a new path from a wrong view

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
So are you taking the position that Buddhism is a branch of Hinduism?

Being of the Advaita Vedanta school of thought myself, I am good with Hinduism given a wider umbrella.

Shantanu

Enlightenment is something that happens not something we can say now i want to be enlighten so i am. That again show that you do not understand Buddhism and what the teaching is.

You can not create a new path from a wrong view
I would like to be able to write my Sutta of Existential Buddhism in a few simple paragraphs one day. I have not reached enlightenment yet, as I am still waiting for God to clarify whether dharmayudha was the correct course for me to have taken.

Shantanu

So are you taking the position that Buddhism is a branch of Hinduism?

Being of the Advaita Vedanta school of thought myself, I am good with Hinduism given a wider umbrella.
Most definitely Buddhism is a branch of Hinduism. They all originated in the sub-continent of India under the Hindu umbrella. When the teaching spread to different countries it became a religion elsewhere that others followed while at the same time Buddhism's inconsistencies with reality saw it demoted as a religion within India. But it was throwing the baby out with the bath water for Buddhism holds tremendous strengths if it is revised. It has potential to once again become the religion of the greatest followers within India but not under Theravada or Mahayana or any of their offshoots. A fresh new insight is required.

Last edited:

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
- If Buddha was teaching 'dhamma', that is Hinduism. You can, otherwise, hardly define Hinduism. You can find the exact opposite of any system of philosophy in Hinduism. 'Dhamma' alone is common to all dharmic religions.
Buddha continually refuted the arguments brought forth by the brahmins who came to him. I think it is safe to say that Buddha did not teach what the brahmins of the time asserted and taught. Instead, Buddha refuted their claims and teachings. Buddhism is very much separate and different from the teaching of the brahmins of the time.
- IMHO, Dependent co-orgination is sort of a weakness in Buddhism. Buddha did not know about Big Bang and Quantum Mechanics.
Ahh, so it is different from Advaita. ;)
- Yeah, it was written after Buddha's time, but it shows the trend. Buddha too arose from the same milieu. Buddha even does not talk about any of the current popular Gods in Hinduism (Shiva, Durga, Rama or Krishna). He only talks about what bothered him, i.e., Indra, Brahma, etc. Perhaps Buddha had no quarrel with worshipers of indigenous Hindu Gods.
So the evidence seems to point that Buddhism may have influenced Hinduism's development, but no evidence that Buddhism is a "branch" of Hinduism then?

George-ananda

Premium Member
Most definitely Buddhism is a branch of Hinduism. They all originated in the sub-continent of India under the Hindu umbrella. When the teaching spread to different countries it became a religion elsewhere that others followed while at the same time Buddhism's inconsistencies with reality saw it demoted as a religion within India. But it was throwing the baby out with the bath water for Buddhism holds tremendous strengths if it is revised. It has potential to once again become the religion of the greatest followers within India but not under Theravada or Mahayana or any of their offshoots. A fresh new insight is required.
How do you see this fresh new insight adressing metaphysical issues like reincarnation? Like Brahman?

Shantanu

How do you see this fresh new insight adressing metaphysical issues like reincarnation? Like Brahman?
It will depend on who it is that people listen to when we talk about the existence of God as a Personal God monitoring human activities and guiding humans into their dharmic actions, and the mechanisms by which this is accomplished.

George-ananda

Premium Member
It will depend on who it is that people listen to when we talk about the existence of God as a Personal God monitoring human activities and guiding humans into their dharmic actions, and the mechanisms by which this is accomplished.
I am not clear on what you are saying? Brahman is different than the Abrahamic God concept. I was asking about Brahman, the One Consciousness.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
*** Moderator Post***

The Moderators would like to remind participants of the special rules that apply to the DIR section with particular reference to "debating is not permitted."

10. Debating in Non-debate Forums or Posting in DIR/ONLY Forums
Religious forums is structured to provide spaces for many different kinds of conversations. Different kinds of conversations belong in different areas of the forum:

1) Debates should be kept to the debate areas of the forums, including Religious Debates, General Debates, and Political Debates. Debating anywhere other than these forums may result in moderation. Same Faith Debates is governed by special rules described here. Only members of the specified groups(s) can participate in these threads.

2) All DIR (Discuss Individual Religions) forums are for the use of members who identify with those groups or practices. Debating is not permitted in DIRs; debates between members of specified groups should be posted in Same Faith Debates. Members who do not identify with a DIR group may only post respectful questions; we recommend creating a thread in the Religions Q&A instead where there is more freedom to comment. DIR forums are not to be used as a cover to bash others outside of the DIR group.

RF Rules

Discussion on this thread has gone well beyond "non-debating" so the moderators have decided to close this thread. Participants are free to start a thread in the same debates forum or religious debates forum where the issues being raised can be more freely discussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.