• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Brexit an asset stripping exercise?

Yerda

Veteran Member
Stop calling ‘no-deal’ Brexiteers idiots. They know exactly what they’re doing

What the oligarchs who drove Brexit understand is that the UK has a simple choice. Either it remains within the European-regulated space – with some protections for workers’ rights, consumers and the environment, some regulations of financial services and an elected parliament to mediate them. Or, like a colder Puerto Rico, it steps into the bullies’ playground of the American sphere, with a trade deal stitched up in back-rooms, accepting the US’s poorer standards on everything from food to medicine, as dictated by American businesses accustomed to the freedom to exploit who they please.

For the ‘hard’ Brexiteers, a long-term deal with the EU, maintaining European regulations, defeats the purpose of Brexit. As Daniel Hannan, now an MEP, has said, the goal when he founded the anti-EU European Research Group in 1993 was turn the UK into an “offshore, low tax haven”. The whole point was to sail Britain into the free-market high seas of the American sphere, extend Britain’s role as money laundry and service-provider to the MAGA-rich, and allow our public services to be flogged off on the global market – the next stage of the Great British Asset Striptease.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
I had a lot to do with not wanting to play by the EU's rules, didn't it??

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It was sold as a iie.

Take back our borders, s lie to cover xenophobia. I am certain when i travel home to the UK i have always had to present my passport at the border to british customs officials, not european ones. The UK govt has slways had control of the borders they simply dont have the balls to accept responsibility for their own failure

It was sold as a help to the nhs, lets give £350 million a week from the money we save. The moment the results were in came the cries of "only joking" and the nhs continues to be underfunded while the profitable parts are being sold off to oligarchs.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Take back our borders, s lie to cover xenophobia

I've heard this before. It seems like a false dilemma argument. In other words, can't a person want to defend and protect their home's culture without being seen as xenophobic?

ChristineM

Premium Member
I've heard this before. It seems like a false dilemma argument. In other words, can't a person want to defend and protect their home's culture without being seen as xenophobic?

They can but when xenophobic hate crime rockets right after the referendum it seems an indication that among a percentage of the population xenophobia is a key factor

Also british culture has been diverse with elements of the old british empire, elements of a trading nation since it first discovered ships?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
They can but when xenophobic hate crime rockets right after the referendum it seems an indication that among a percentage of the population xenophobia is a key factor

Also british culture has been diverse with elements of the old british empire, elements of a trading nation since it first discovered ships?

It's my understanding that historical immigration percentages are dwarfed by recent immigration rates. So some sort of continuum exists. It was my understanding that a lot of Brits have the feeling that the rates of immigration are too high. This is not a black and white idea, it's a shades of gray idea.

ChristineM

Premium Member
It's my understanding that historical immigration percentages are dwarfed by recent immigration rates. So some sort of continuum exists. It was my understanding that a lot of Brits have the feeling that the rates of immigration are too high. This is not a black and white idea, it's a shades of gray idea.

Not dwarfed, that is something of a propaganda word but yes immigration is high and has risen steady since the end of Ww2.

Again, yes then again a lot of brits do not think immigration rates are too high.

And of course immigration has dropped dramatically since the peak of the early 2000s

Asylumapplicants.jpg