• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Bhagwat Gita a book of carnage?

apophenia

It is the only religious book which gets to the point - when society is run by corrupt minorities at the expense of the general population, those corrupt minorities must be eliminated without mercy or hesitation.

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
Bhagwad Gita constitutes the advice given by Krishna to Arjuna. Arjuna's position then can be compared to the position of a Chief of Armed Forces of a modern country now. If at the point when war becomes inevitable between two countries the Army Chief of one country deserts his post, wouldn't his country be overrun by the enemy country? What Krishna did was to convince Army Chief Arjuna not to desert his post but to lead his forces into battle and destroy the enemy country. Wouldn't a grateful people then honour Krishna for saving the country? That's exactly Krishna's position - only he did not save merely one country, but the very concept of righteousness.

Arjuna's story is relevant to us today because often at moments when the fate of many may depend upon us doing the right thing, we fail to rise to the occasion. Understanding the principles Krishna taught to convince Arjuna to do the right thing can help us overcome our crises. Thus, a call to ban Bhagwad Gita on the ground that it promotes violence is a result of a superficial and prejudiced understanding of its message.

Last edited:

Prophet

breaking the statutes of my local municipality
I've heard it suggested that genius caused the writer of the Bhagavad Gita to place its story in the middle of a war. The Gita teaches that actions are amoral. Remain unattached and selfless in motive even in the act of killing, and no evil have anything to cling to.

If I could live my life according to one book, it would be the Bhagavad Gita.

Last edited:

Me Myself

Back to my username
The Bhagavad Gita: is it the “New Testament” of Hinduism? | Western Hindu

Put simply, the main character in this book, considered god by many Hindus, urges his soldier friend to kill all his friends and relatives.
Contrast this with the beatitudes found in Matthew.:bow:

It´s a lot deeper than that.

I personally prefer an interpretation that says the Mahabharat is the description of the war that happens in the soul of a person.

Krishna also was the embassador of peace before the war. He made what he could for the wwar not to happen, but he knew it would happen, and that it had to happen.

It was good against evil.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
The Bhagavad Gita: is it the “New Testament” of Hinduism? | Western Hindu

Put simply, the main character in this book, considered god by many Hindus, urges his soldier friend to kill all his friends and relatives.

You should read the Mahabharata and get some context.

That is, presuming you have even read the BG...

I truly hope that you use critical thinking and objectivity when it comes to other religions, mate. Based on many of your posts on this site, I tend to doubt there is much beyond extreme bias. But you can prove me wrong if you will it.

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis

Nice try, but we both know that's a deliberately deceitful rendition of what is within the text.

Besides, the Bible is way more violent than the Gītā. Beatitudes found in Matthew may be nice, but they still have nothing on the Gītā for spiritual depth, IMO.

It may help to actually read the Bhagavad Gītā before you start saying such things. Otherwise, how can we take you seriously?