• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Believing in God(s) a Choice?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I'm not sure that isn't essentially the same thing, or can be.

Cultural pressures are powerful, and don't have to be overt. It's uncomfortable going against the beliefs of one's culture, and people do feel happy when they refrain from doing so.

One thing I've observed, and I'm not sure how relevant it is to this discussion, is that many "believers" are not really sure what it is they believe in. What I mean is that when asked to explain, or even state, a particular tenet of their belief system are unable to do so. The Bible says that? Really? The posters here are far from typical believers.

The same goes for some non-believers for what the world is. Some have typical western folk beliefs about the world. This is not unique to religion.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
We're talking about YOUR framing of how the world is.
At least I am. You are avoiding it at all costs, apparently.

No, I am starting at the beginning of epistemology for which evidence is a part.
You really should know that: The evil demon is connected to epistemology which is connected to evidence.

You can't understand my position unless you get that. And other aspects of skepticism. But I start with the evil demon.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
No, I am starting at the beginning of epistemology for which evidence is a part.
You really should know that: The evil demon is connected to epistemology which is connected to evidence.

You can't understand my position unless you get that. And other aspects of skepticism. But I start with the evil demon.
I'm asking you questions about the words you typed to me and the implications of those words. I don't need a deep dive into epistemology to understand that you're explaining to me that something "working" or not is your evidence.
It works = evidence
It doesn't work = evidence

You can call it whatever you want, but it's still evidence-based.

It's clear you don't want to address my points, and instead wish to obfuscate.
So, I don't see how we can proceed.
Have a nice day.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I'm asking you questions about the words you typed to me and the implications of those words. I don't need a deep dive into epistemology to understand that you're explaining to me that something "working" or not is your evidence.
It works = evidence
It doesn't work = evidence

You can call it whatever you want, but it's still evidence-based.

It's clear you don't want to address my points, and instead wish to obfuscate.
So, I don't see how we can proceed.
Have a nice day.

Here is something I don't have evidence for. Do you?
Philosophy of science - Wikipedia

My axiomatic assumptions about the world is without evidence, but they seem to work. But apparently you have solved the problem of methodological naturalism and have evidence.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Do you refer to non-causal libertarian, event-causal, or agent-causal libertarian?

Any kind. LIbertarian free-will. noncausal, agent causal, what ever causal is still libertarian free-will if its libertarian free-will.

I am asking you what your stance is since you are not a determinist.