• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Believing in God(s) a Choice?

muhammad_isa

Is our unconscious mind someone else's mind?
No, it isn't. :D
..yet it is complex, because often we can lie to ourselves, if you know what I mean.

So although we humans do make many of our decisions unconsciously, we are still humans making decisions. And those decisions are still OUR decisions. And once we become conscious of these decisions having been made, we can consciously choose to make a different decision, for any reason or for no reason at all.
I think it is more complicated than that. I think that our deeds have an effect on our psyche, and we can be oblivious of many things.
Some people see it as "God guiding us or sending us astray".
I believe that it is allegorical, and not as "a person called God waves his wand".
Psychology is quite fascinating.

PureX

Veteran Member
No, it isn't. :D
..yet it is complex, because often we can lie to ourselves, if you know what I mean.
I think that our deeds have an effect on our psyche, and we can be oblivious of many things.
Some people see it as "God guiding us or sending us astray".
I believe that it is allegorical, and not as "a person called God waves his wand".
Psychology is quite fascinating.
Nevertheless, we are still responsible for the choices we've made once we are aware of having made them. Because we can make other choices simply by willing to do so.

muhammad_isa

Nevertheless, we are still responsible for the choices we've made once we are aware of having made them. Because we can make other choices simply by willing to do so.
Yes, we are surely responsible for the choices we make..
..unless we are certified insane.

It's this concept about "belief being a choice" which I find to be a bit more complex.
We make choices every day, on what deeds we do. This has an effect on our psyche. It can lead us towards God, or away from God.
Overall, there is something called the conscience. We can acknowledge it, or deny it.
The deeper we dig ourselves into sin, the harder it is to get out.

muhammad_isa

It's like asking yourself (or somebody else) if there is a Pruitgnoef.

Without a definition/description/content the question is meaningless.
The question that I ask myself is "is there any reason for the universe to exist?"
I find it practically impossible to say "no".
Coincidences do happen sometimes, but that is a huge one !

AppieB

The question that I ask myself is "is there any reason for the universe to exist?"
I find it practically impossible to say "no".
Coincidences do happen sometimes, but that is a huge one !
That of course is a different question.
What do you mean by reason? An explanation or intend?

My response would be: I don't know, but it doesn't seem there was intention involved.