1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Belief in God Idolatry?

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by Sunstone, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Sunstone

Sunstone De Diablo Del Fora
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +34,326
    Religion:
    Non-Theistic Mysticism
    Is worshiping any and all Gods we believe in idolatry?

By "God", I do not mean god in the generic sense, but rather God in some specific sense, such as the God of the Bible, the Bhagavad Gita, or the Qur'an.

By "idolatry", I mean the worship of a false God -- any false God.

So, the question becomes, given that all our thoughts -- including our beliefs -- about a deity cannot possibly thoroughly represent or comprehend that deity, then it would seem to follow that they are at least to some extent inaccurate, if only by omission. But for a proposition (or belief) to be inaccurate amounts to saying it is to some extent false. Therefore, we might reason that when we worship any (or all) Gods that we believe in, we are worshiping an inaccurate or false notion of them. But that happens to be the very definition of 'idolatry'.

Corollary: Non-theists, such as atheists, agnostics, ignostics, and others might be less idolatrous than theists, since non-theists do not worship Gods, while most theists do.

Just some thoughts. Your turn.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Secret Chief

Secret Chief Meghalayan Ape

Ratings:
    +2,854
    That'll be a Yes, then. :)

3. Amanaki

Amanaki Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +7,161
    Religion:
    Sunni Islam
    A great question.

In my understanding of worshipping a God in it self is not idolatry but if we were to worship a "replacement" of God as in a statue or a picture of the God we pray to, then yes i see a very good point in your question.

Example can be if a Buddhist were to worship the statue of Buddha they worship the statue, not the real buddha.

I do not know for sure but i believe this is why Islam say we should not worship or even make a representation of Allah here on earth. So you ask, what about the Kaaba muslims pray toward..umm yes if they worship the kaaba and not Allah it would be wrong, as far as i understand

4. mikkel_the_dane

mikkel_the_dane Shadow Wolf's Aspie sibling

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Religion:
    The Wrong One
    Yeah, but since I do strong negative theology and don't worship God, it doesn't apply to at least one religious believer in a God, namely me.

5. chinu

chinu Passenger

Ratings:
    +1,203
    I believe, worshiping starts from idolarty, but, does NOT ends in idolarty.

Idolarty is like a MAP. Of sure, it is a good help to start, but, the one who is stuck in worshiping a MAP -- NEVER finds a real place. :)

#5 chinu, Sep 22, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Gargovic Malkav

Gargovic Malkav Active Member

Ratings:
    +281
    Religion:
    I worship and believe in the One I see as the Source of Everything as a result of experience and faith. Label me as you see fit.
    Does the God of the bible and the quran represent something specific? I thought it was the lack of this quality that made Him different from all the other gods, and that it is because of this very reason that worshiping other gods is idolatry...

• Like Like x 1
  7. crossfire

crossfire Antinomian feminist heretic freak ☿
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,389
    Religion:
    ☿ Mercuræn Mahayana Buddhist & Pastafarian

Your mileage may vary, but I see idolatry as devotion to money, or sex, or to a specific brand, or something similar, which will skew your thinking and prompt you do things (possibly evil) you normally wouldn't do. (Your mileage may greatly vary, as I don't believe in worship, either.)

• Like Like x 1
  8. danieldemol

danieldemol Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,934
    Religion:
    Baha'i inspired liberal
    I see your point, but i think God is only concerned with the fanatical worship of idols.

Worship of idols done in moderation is only banned by hypocritical Abrahamics. God doesn't care.

9. exchemist

exchemist Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8,033
    Religion:
    RC (culturally at least)
    I don't see why defects in the understanding of the nature of God would make the worshipper idolatrous. Idolatry, surely, is the worship of someone or something that is not God as if it were God. Someone worshipping God, but having some funny ideas about His nature, doesn't seem to fit that definition, to me.

10. Jayhawker Soule

Jayhawker Soule <yawn> ignore </yawn>
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +13,233
    Religion:
    Judaism
    First, note that the thread asks: Is belief in God idolatry? But the OP leaves this title behind and talks, not about belief, but about worship.

Yes, if idolatry is defined as (and limited to) the worship of a false God then, by definition, the godless cannot be idolatrous, but I can think of no serious reason to accept that definition.

• Like Like x 3
  11. 9-10ths_Penguin

9-10ths_Penguin 1/10 Subway Stalinist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +16,152
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    I guess it really gets down to semantics. Is worship of an inaccurate representation of God:

- worship of something that isn't God, or
    - imperfect worship of the actual God?

(Assuming that this God exists and is known to humanity, of course)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Fool

Fool ALL in all
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,066
    Religion:
    Light Impressed with Love
    it is idolatry when you give one form, image preferential treatment over another image of god. god is first an action and secondarily a form.

if god is omnipresent then all forms have arisen from this ONE action.

similar to the idea of namaste/namaskar recognizing the divine in all

similar to the idea of colossians 3:11 christ is all and in all

13. 9-10ths_Penguin

9-10ths_Penguin 1/10 Subway Stalinist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +16,152
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    Do you mean like this:
    :D

14. IndigoChild5559

IndigoChild5559 Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

Ratings:
    +2,021
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Idolatry is a very specifi thing. It is usually polytheistic, which excludes belief in just One True God.

Idolatry is also the view that God is something in creation rather than the Creator. For example, believing there is one God and that God is the sun, or a particular rock, or a mere man called Jesus.

15. shunyadragon

shunyadragon shunyadragon
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,376
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    To non-believers yes, and to believers not believing in God is idolatry, and to many believing in the wrong God is idolatry.

16. Quintessence

Quintessence Tale Weaver
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +14,664
    Religion:
    Druidry
    Setting aside that "idolatry" was manufactured as a way of putting down other theological perspectives by those attempting to enforce their cultural dominance (that's putting it nicely)?

This really overlooks the importance of studying the gods/reality and that there need be no expectation of perfect knowledge to begin with. To expect perfect knowledge is absurd, and we don't expect that in any other human endeavor. Furthermore, when honoring any kind of relationship, a big part of that is learning about each other. Refusing to work on developing a relationship just because you can't perfectly know the other person is nonsense. All relationships we have with persons are "false notions" of that person. We still have relationships. It's not about perfect knowledge.

17. sun rise

sun rise "This is the Hour of God"
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +22,389
    Religion:
    Love
    Noting @Jayhawker Soule 's accurate comment about belief and worship, I'm reminded of the famous "Is there a Santa Claus" letter for a couple of reasons.

Because of our ignorance of Divinity, we are like little children who have limited understanding. We believe in "Santa Claus" and in a sense worship him as a bringer of gifts. But it is not wrong for a child to believe in Santa Claus and similarly idolatry is not wrong at a certain stage.

As @chinu wrote, the path can start from venerating idols. But with maturity we see that the idol is a symbol of something but not reality and then move beyond it.

From a 'cargo cult' perspective, we move beyond constructing idols of airplanes because gifts once came in them to understanding the nature of an airplane and the circumstances that caused them to come. And we're left with appreciation of what the symbol represents instead of worship of the symbol

18. PureX

PureX Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +6,862
    Religion:
    Philosophical Taoist/Christian
    When one's "belief in God" becomes their God, as it sometimes does with very literal religious zealots, then they have fallen into the most egregious form of idolatry, where their own religiosity is being worshiped and hailed as divine.

19. dybmh

dybmh Terminal Optimist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,815
    Religion:
    Judaism
    It's a good point and useful for encouraging humility.

• Like Like x 2