• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Belief a Choice?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
No. Belief is the thought that a thing is true. We don't choose the truth of a thing--just the opposite, we allow it.

Please expand on that......
and perhaps with consideration that your belief can be seen by Something Greater.

What then if your sense of belief is faulted?
What if your sense of belief is considered to have a shaky foundation?

idav

Being
Premium Member
No. Belief is the thought that a thing is true. We don't choose the truth of a thing--just the opposite, we allow it.

Belief is a choice when it is of things unseen in that we only think we know. That is where doubt comes in.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Please expand on that......
and perhaps with consideration that your belief can be seen by Something Greater.
What greater?

The world, to us, is proposition. Every thought of every thing is propositional. Most propositional statements we hold to be true, and those constitute belief.

What then if your sense of belief is faulted?
What if your sense of belief is considered to have a shaky foundation?
"Faulted" how? "Shaky" how?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Belief is a choice when it is of things unseen in that we only think we know. That is where doubt comes in.
Honesty is unseen. A promise is unseen.

Yes, belief is associated with doubt, but it is so because philosophy wrought the world in two and gave us "fact" to concretize the world, and relegated belief to a second place.

NIX

Daughter of Chaos

'Belief' can also be the non-thought that a thing is not true.
You are not holding to the thought that a thing is not true.
Which is why the suspension of disbelief works just as well.
(and IMO better-because you can both choose and allow it)

Last edited:

Marie75

Liberal
In my opinion, everything is a choice. We choose our own thoughts. Depression , anxiety only exists in the mind. We can choose to think positive, therefore choose our beliefs based on what we feel in our hearts and intuition. Intuition is much more of a stronger argument when it comes to faith in something, but it's a choice to say "hey, I'm a Christian." But in their hearts, minds, and souls...and especially their intuition, they feel it, therefore they believe. It's ok, we are all different.:)

Thief

Rogue Theologian
What greater?

The world, to us, is proposition. Every thought of every thing is propositional. Most propositional statements we hold to be true, and those constitute belief.

"Faulted" how? "Shaky" how?

Well....I suspect this life is only the beginning for us.
When this chemistry fails we stand up from it and Something Greater comes to see what came of it.

Walk with angels....shall we?
And what if they don't want us to follow?

I suspect further.....
Conversation as we do now will cease.
If we speak at all it will be directly to mind and heart.
Heaven will be able to see all things.....even your dreams.

Once more I suspect.....peace is required.
What if our faults cause the angels to leave us stand?....where we fell.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Yes a person can chose to believe in Santa if they want to, as humans we can chose to believe in anything we want.

Completely untrue. I may really like the idea of Santa, may really think it would be great if he were real, but I simply can't choose to believe in him. I would have to have cause to believe. And believe me, I believe in the existence and possible existence of many things/beings/deities in this world. I have been given cause to, but I still cannot just choose to believe in something I have not been given the slightest inkling of cause to believe in. There MUST be some reason.

Without reason, can you just willy-nilly choose to honestly believe that there is a 4-inch tall fairy named George that sits atop my computer monitor and talks to me and cracks jokes about trolls he knows?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Completely untrue. I may really like the idea of Santa, may really think it would be great if he were real, but I simply can't choose to believe in him. I would have to have cause to believe. And believe me, I believe in the existence and possible existence of many things/beings/deities in this world. I have been given cause to, but I still cannot just choose to believe in something I have not been given the slightest inkling of cause to believe in. There MUST be some reason.

Without reason, can you just willy-nilly choose to honestly believe that there is a 4-inch tall fairy named George that sits atop my computer monitor and talks to me and cracks jokes about trolls he knows?

I was wondering where that little bugger got to. Tell him I've changed the locks...he's not welcome back after the little incident with the avocado...

And the rest of your post makes a lot of sense. I agree.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I was wondering where that little bugger got to. Tell him I've changed the locks...he's not welcome back after the little incident with the avocado...

And the rest of your post makes a lot of sense. I agree.

Oh, I'm so proud of him! George has been with me for years and he's been offering to do some pretty not-so-nice things to you ever since he first caught you peeping from that tree. Believe me, the avocado incident won't be the last you've seen of him if you continue your branch sitting shenanigans. ;)

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Good luck with that. I and George know well what to look for and anything we find we'll make sure is placed so that you only catch my hubby playing Rift or CoD or some other game at his desk. Nice and boring. BTW, for every spy cam found...expect another visit from George.

I'm starting to suspect you were the two who planted the cameras in those poor unsuspecting girls apartment.

;)

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
'Belief' can also be the non-thought that a thing is not true.
You are not holding to the thought that a thing is not true.
Which is why the suspension of disbelief works just as well.
(and IMO better-because you can both choose and allow it)
If you don't have thought, you don't have the thought "to hold" or "not to hold," you don't have the capacity to let disbelief slide. Belief is epistemic.

"Non-thought" is just convoluted langauge meaning "dead."

Last edited:

idav

Being
Premium Member
Just depends on which definition of belief we go by. Belief in something we aren't 100% sure of is choice. Just accepting something true as truth is knowledge.