• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is being religious a sign of strength or weakness?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Is being religious a sign of strength or weakness? (talking about an individual, not the society)

To me to be religious means to have a good character, to be honest and trustworthy, patient, tolerant always willing to forgive others and look at the good in them. Not to fault find or backbite, to be kind, generous loving and caring. To put others before oneself. To be sacrificing. To be humble and just and fair. Not to discriminate or hurt others. To be at peace with all races, religions and nationalities.

So if one is doing all these things or trying to would that be weakness or strength of character?

Then why is virtually everyone in India (80% IIRC) a Hindu?
Why are so many Mississippians Christian?
If it wasn't based on culture wouldn't many more Mississipians be Hindu like India?

I think one has to take into account as well, not just cultural beliefs, but, names and definitions.

So, for instance, those most christians in Mississippi, is that cultural belief, or just names and definitiins?

For instance, if perse, we interviewed everyone of these "christians" in Mississippi and did a very detailed and intelligent screening process for each, i think wed find a great diversity of views amongs them. Some probably even appearing hindu, but not in NAME.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Is being religious a sign of strength or weakness? (talking about an individual, not the society)

Good question, and welcome to RF.
hat-tip-smiley-emoticon.gif

If one wants to consider a need that is satisfied by irrational belief a weakness, then I can go along with "weakness." In any case, it's certainly not a strength, although it may take some kind of strength to abide by the demands of a particular religion.

If one wants to consider a need that is satisfied by irrational belief a weakness, then I can go along with "weakness."

If this is a weakness, then it is a weakness shared by all of humanity. All societies and belief systems are grounded in fictions.

Many irreligious folk are satisfied by the irrational belief that they are special in this regard and have transcended the need for emotionally comforting myths.

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
It depends how you look at or deal with the concept of religion.
If you are more of a Tantric person (fighting actively to overcome negativity), that is a sign of strength.
If you are more of a Vedic person (begging God to change His mind on your behalf) then that is a sign of weakness.