• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is being religious a sign of strength or weakness?

Altfish

Veteran Member
Is being religious a sign of strength or weakness? (talking about an individual, not the society)
It is almost certainly a sign of your upbringing.
If you are brought up in a religious country, attended a religious school, surrounded by a religious family - all tend to lead to a religious person.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Is being religious a sign of strength or weakness? (talking about an individual, not the society)
I think it varies by individual, but in general neither. Other factors would determine the strength of an individual. In any religious group, there are strong and weak members, and the words themselves are subjective.

It is almost certainly a sign of your upbringing.
If you are brought up in a religious country, attended a religious school, surrounded by a religious family - all tend to lead to a religious person.

My dad was an atheist and im not. So, how do you explain that?

Whether its strong or weak, depends on the individual. But most certainly its the most intelligent position. :D

In my case, i adhere to religion. For me the motive is not weakness. Why? Because i LOVE freedom. So much so, that id probably die for it.

Yet, i believe we are all slaves of God. Thats a motive of strength.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
A sample size of one is statistically irrelevant. But my Dad was an atheist/agnostic, and I'm not as well. That said, a sample size of 2 is also statistically irrelevant.

A sample size of one is statistically irrelevant. But my Dad was an atheist/agnostic, and I'm not as well. That said, a sample size of 2 is also statistically irrelevant.

Basically, my culture is not what makes me believe, my critical thinking and intelligence does. Oh and some of my spiritual experiences.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Please note I used the phrase "tend to" which means 'in not every case'.
There are equally many, I would suggest more, atheists that come from religious families.
All I was just saying that family and community background is far more likely to affect whether or not you are religious than how intelligent you are.

Please note I used the phrase "tend to" which means 'in not every case'.
There are equally many, I would suggest more, atheists that come from religious families.
All I was just saying that family and community background is far more likely to affect whether or not you are religious than how intelligent you are.

Far more likely? I would even question that.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Far more likely? I would even question that.
If you are born in India what religion are you likely to be? Is that dependent on education?
If you are born in Mississippi (I believe the most religious state in US) are you dumber or cleverer that those born in Vermont (The least religious state).
Is it not just that religion is passed on from one generation to another?

If you are born in India what religion are you likely to be? Is that dependent on education?
If you are born in Mississippi (I believe the most religious state in US) are you dumber or cleverer that those born in Vermont (The least religious state).
Is it not just that religion is passed on from one generation to another?

Heres the thing, i ignor all that. Im a lone ranger. I dont care what my society tells me. I think for myself. My spiritual experiences, plus my own critical thinking has led me to believe there is a God that created the universe and my spiritual experiences led me to believe there is a spirit realm. Plus my research into NDEs.

Culture and society i completely ignore. I dont believe or disbelieve out of PRESSURE from society. Society can, for all intents and purposes, kiss my a s s.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Heres the thing, i ignor all that. Im a lone ranger. I dont care what my society tells me. I think for myself. My spiritual experiences, plus my own critical thinking has led me to believe there is a God that created the universe and my spiritual experiences led me to believe there is a spirit realm. Plus my research into NDEs.

Culture and society i completely ignore. I dont believe or disbelieve out of PRESSURE from society. Society can, for all intents and purposes, kiss my a s s.
Fine, that's good. But I was answering the question. I never said 'everyone does this'

Altfish

Veteran Member
Right, but i think most dont believe based on culture. I think some do. But not most. I would question the most part.
Then why is virtually everyone in India (80% IIRC) a Hindu?
Why are so many Mississippians Christian?
If it wasn't based on culture wouldn't many more Mississipians be Hindu like India?