• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is beauty real?

Cooky

Veteran Member
Wow an actual hard question. I had to actually think on this question for a number of hours. It reminds me of the question what is art?

Beauty is the myth with 10,000 faces.
Which then leads to the question is fiction real? It exists all over nature. So yes fiction is real. Like beauty. Speaking of fiction and beauty here is a good example all rolled into one being!!! View attachment 30065

Life is so much more dynamic than the material universe. Because life can create these untruths known as "fiction" - Like we're running off rules from another dimension out of this universe... Because the fundamental laws and physics of this universe bear no similarities and seem so foreign to how we lifeforms operate.

If we are representations of everything magnified, or "compressed", then we should be able to use ourselves as the standard for how everything is. But we can't because we're just too far seperated.

Beauty. Consciousness. Fiction. These things are found nowhere else. And if they were, what would it mean? Would a conscious alien know beauty? Humor? Love? If so, then these things must exist as universal, fundamental laws.

Last edited by a moderator:

Unguru

I am a Sikh nice to meet you
Wow an actual hard question. I had to actually think on this question for a number of hours. It reminds me of the question what is art?

Beauty is the myth with 10,000 faces.
Which then leads to the question is fiction real? It exists all over nature. So yes fiction is real. Like beauty. Speaking of fiction and beauty here is a good example all rolled into one being!!! View attachment 30065

Marvelous! :cool:

David T

Premium Member
Life is so much more dynamic than the material universe. Because life can create these untruths known as "fiction" - Like we're running off rules from another dimension out of this universe... Because the fundamental laws and physics of this universe bear no similarities and seem so foreign to how we lifeforms operate.

If we are representations of everything magnified, or "compressed", then we should be able to use ourselves as the standard for how everything is. But we can't because we're just too far seperated.

Beauty. Consciousness. Fiction. These things are found nowhere else. And if they were, what would it mean? Would a conscious alien know beauty? Humor? Love? If so, then these things must exist as universal, fundamental laws.
I agree with your sentiment the term "laws" bothers me. I tend to get all john muir on that term like he did on the term hike.

"I don't like either the word [hike] or the thing. People ought to saunter in the mountains - not 'hike!' Do you know the origin of that word saunter? It's a beautiful word. Away back in the middle ages people used to go on pilgrimages to the Holy Land, and when people in the villages through which they passed asked where they were going they would reply, 'A la sainte terre', 'To the Holy Land.' And so they became known as sainte-terre-ers or saunterers. Now these mountains are our Holy Land, and we ought to saunter through them reverently, not 'hike' through them."
John Muir

It may not make total sense for you why i say this. But laws tends to render nature into a slave of something i prefer expressions of qualities of being. They feel so much more personal and it shifts our view of nature from" my mother the car iveting laws" to just "mother." our home. Am i correct? I am not sure right or wrong is applicable.