• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is beauty real?

Cooky

Veteran Member
To me, it seems that life often strives, and makes attempts to achieve beauty. So is beauty an actual fundamental thing? Or just an imaginary concept. Even if imaginary, why does even that exist?

20-Beautiful-Flowers-Ever-Found-In-The-World-Passion-Flower.jpg
e8a967fd8b2e9a200592bb7afd72e4fe.jpg

Cooky

Veteran Member
It is real in the eye of the beholder

Yes I've heard that. Others might argue that concepts of beauty are rooted in sexual / reproductive instincts.

...But none of that explains why people think flowers are beautiful. Or why we strive toward beautiful architecture.

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
Yes I've heard that. Others might argue that concepts of beauty are rooted in sexual / reproductive instincts.

...But none of that explains why people think flowers are beautiful. Or why we strive toward beautiful architecture.
I think it is rooted in our survival instinct, in order to survive, our consciousness evolved to see patterns and when we see them we weave an inner narrative in regards to them

Jos

Reality is an ideal. Beauty is an ideal. Thus, beauty is as real as reality, itself.
But one definition of ideal states that ideal means "existing only in the imagination; desirable or perfect but not likely to become a reality." How can reality be imagined or made up? That seems paradoxical to me. Reality can't be real if it's imagined since it can be whatever anyone wants it to be and therefore not objective.