• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is atheistic Satanism a contradiction?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
If the belief in satan is meant to be theistic, then the religion of "satanism"should follow that course. Atheistic satanism, basically arising from counterculturalism , was intended to being a "spooky" image to the movement, as opposed to actual theistic satanism.

This brings us to the question, is it contradictory? Does the lack of religious actuality, make it not really a religion?

Yes, to the first question.

Ciao

- viole

Ricktheheretic

"Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law"
Actual Satanist here.

I put in bold the problem. Anyone can mean a belief to mean anything.

However I do agree that LaVeyan Satanism is rather moot, overall. I wouldn't consider it counterculture but a reaction to 60's counterculture. It's lost it's appeal to people these days because it refused to grow as an organization which might be for the better, as it's leadership has always been rather... toxic in a way. Gilmore tries to act all cool and paint his religion as having the nicest people but a lot of the Satanic Rules of the Earth mirror a confrontational tough-guy way of looking at socializing. It's too tit for tat which if you know anything about game theory is a good way to start a defect spiral. It just seems adversarial for adversarial's sake. And I can't respect a group who so unempathetically labels others in the ways that it does.

I think that Satanism evolved, LaVey just made it accessible to some degree, giving some level of a toolbox but really it was with the internet that all these theistic satanists presumed to never exist came out of the woodwork. I think they were there for a very long time, long before LaVey, but just had no voice. LaVey normalized it enough that they felt they could come out of the shadows. Many were theists, or some kind of nontheist or whatever. Many I've met are pantheists too.

That's my thoughts anyway.

I remember reading about a pre-Laveyan form of Satanism that revered "Sathanas" the serpent on The Tree of Knowledge in Eden. They followed the Gnostic Cainites or Ophites who worshipped the serpent as a form of the angel Sophia who came down into matter to bring Gnosis to the souls that had fallen into the illusory material world. "Sathanas" or "Satanas" was the enemy of the Jewish law giver "Yah Sabaoth" or "Yaldabaoth" who created the material world of illusion. Like the supposed first Gnostic Cain, Ophitic and Cainite Gnostics sought to return to the higher Aeon above. They saw the material world as an illusion created by a being who had fallen from the higher Aeon into ignorance/confusion by rebellion against The Eternal Father. I know the Gnostics viewed all souls as divine, each as a potential god within the greater "godhead" or "Pleroma." I remember Aleister Crowely's "Ecclesia Gnostica Catholica" professes a creed which some may call "Satanism," that says each person is their own god.

"I believe in one secret and ineffable LORD; and in one Star in the Company of Stars of whose fire we are created, and to which we shall return; and in one Father of Life, Mystery of Mystery, in His name CHAOS, the sole viceregent of the Sun upon the Earth; and in one Air the nourisher of all that breathes." Creed of the Gnostic Catholic Church

"Every man and every woman is a star. Every number is infinite; there is no difference." Liber al Legis, The Book of the Law

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law" Aleister Crowley, the law of Thelema

Cool quote on Satan:
“The true name of Satan, the Kabalists say, is that of Yahveh reversed; for Satan is not a black God, but the negation of God. The Devil is the personification of Atheism or Idolatry. For the Initiates, this is not a person, but a force, created for good, but which may serve for evil. It is the instrument of Liberty or free will. They represent this Force, which presides over the physical generation, under the mythologic and horned form of the God Pan; thence the he-goat of the Sabbat, brother of the Ancient Serpent, and the light bearer or Phosphor, of which the poets have made the false Lucifer of the legend”. Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Our Lady of Endor Coven - Wikipedia The Gnosis Archive: Resources on Gnosticism and Gnostic Tradition Thelema 101 at Thelema 101 The Book of the Law Sinagogue of Satan

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Satanism is an actual, legit religion and it always will be. In my opinion True Satanism is simply Pre-Abrahamic Paganism and that our ancient ancestors practiced "Satanism" under different names and cultures, such as Paganism.

Satanism is extremely diverse, it is NOT one religion or one belief system. You are only asking if LaVeyan Satanism and Atheistic Satanism are actual religions though, but I don't think Satanism in general is "meant to be theistic". There are also Independent Satanists, who are the equivalent of Non-Denominational Christians. The answer depends on the individual.
I really..don't think that all of those 'shaiten sanatana shiva etc is all the same meaning, entity.
Isn't that your concept?