• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is atheism the teenage revolt years?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Agreed you can't have a relationship with something that doesn't exist but it is a useful tool to understanding to equate things. I can understand the atheist as a teenager and it gives me a greater understanding of the atheist.
Are you sure that you meant "understanding of" and not "prejudice towards"?

Yes, coming up with silly stereotypes will affect a person's understanding, but this is rarely if ever useful.

work in progress

I was thinking about god and punishment. To my sons I am very much like God. I hand out punishments and tell them no when they want to hear yes. I also make them do things they don't want to do.

This is all for there betterment, so that they can be productive as adults. Currently they are adolescents.

When they become teenager's they are going to revolt. They will believe they know better than me(they will know somethings better I'm not god). They will want to leave my house. They will want to live there own way.

Then when they become adult's they will realize some truths. There will be a balancing of our lives. Although father and son we will be more compromising.

Now all people don't go through all stages. What I am equating this to is our religious beliefs.

Theist - Child State
Atheist - Teenage State
Agnostic - Adult State

What do you think
Interesting! My father was always looking for "the true church" of God...and invariably finding something wrong, getting in arguments, and then leaving for the next "true church." By my teen years, I had enough and was asking a question that never occurred to him: what if there is no true religion because God doesn't exist? I vacillated a bit in my adult years, especially after having children and wondering if religion isn't part of the package for raising children; but ultimately, the only religion I could have a place in (without checking my brain at the door) is Unitarian/Universalism. Looking back at my childhood, your analogy between "father" and "God" is an almost certain description of how we ended up with the monotheisms. Part of my rejection of this sort of belief system goes beyond being a skeptic to viewing that Old Testament God - Yahweh as a lot like my father....an insecure, angry, belligerent despot! Even today, when I read those OT verses of Yahweh describing how he is going to smite the Israelites, or enemies of the Israelites, or the whole bloody world itself by drowing it in a flood, I hear my father's voice in those words. So, my aversion to this kind of religion may not be completely based on reason and evidence....but since our beliefs and prejudices are wound up with our past experiences, what sense does it make that so many of so many different religious backgrounds expect the whole world to agree with them?

idav

Being
Premium Member
Are you sure that you meant "understanding of" and not "prejudice towards"?

Yes, coming up with silly stereotypes will affect a person's understanding, but this is rarely if ever useful.
Just admit that atheists are all angst teens so we can close this case. Simple and easy. ;)

Me Myself

Back to my username
Agreed you can't have a relationship with something that doesn't exist but it is a useful tool to understanding to equate things. I can understand the atheist as a teenager and it gives me a greater understanding of the atheist.

The problem with this affirmation is that there is a pluraility of atheists, that are atheists for very different reasons. (not a "THE" atheist, but many)

I have truly seen christians that are atheists in denial and atheists that are christians/Teists in denial too.

There are a lot of different kind of people and soul states around, it´s not just one formula.

atanu

Premium Member
I was thinking about god and punishment. To my sons I am very much like God. I hand out punishments and tell them no when they want to hear yes. I also make them do things they don't want to do.

This is all for there betterment, so that they can be productive as adults. Currently they are adolescents.

When they become teenager's they are going to revolt. They will believe they know better than me(they will know somethings better I'm not god). They will want to leave my house. They will want to live there own way.

Then when they become adult's they will realize some truths. There will be a balancing of our lives. Although father and son we will be more compromising.

Now all people don't go through all stages. What I am equating this to is our religious beliefs.

Theist - Child State
Atheist - Teenage State
Agnostic - Adult State

What do you think

I agree except the last one.

Somewhere in Veda, human life is partitioned into three stages. The stage upto about 20-25 years is a stage of dependence. It is called the stage of Vasus -- earth bound. From 25-50 is the stage of Rudras -- middle air. Unsupported and not seeking support they are egoistic, whimsical and cruel. 50 onwards, it is stage of Aditya -- heaven bound characterised by certain and relentless march towards death.

Shermana

Heretic
I was an Atheist in my early College years, then a few Philosophy and Science classes later, I realized how ludicrous such a belief was.

Tristesse

Your stuck on gods existence nothing in this thread is about gods existence its all about your behaviour towards the definition of god. Which you clearly rebell against.

As an atheist, it's not up to me to define a god. Thats the theists duty.

Tristesse

What does the age of the individual have to do with whether or not their beliefs are accurate? I was an atheist when I was a teenager and I'm an atheist now.

waitasec

Veteran Member
I agree innocence isn't stupidity, but would define it as willingness to listen no prejudice.
more of a willingness to believe

challenging is fine and good pratice it is not arrogance, however I do agree with a hightened belief in self.
it is easier for most to be told what too believe, imo.

Its more willingness to compromise maybe from experience but not necessary.

necessary in order to progress towards a deeper understanding of others POV

experience is the greatest teacher, history should not be repeated for the purpose of learning

atanu

Premium Member
Something that affects reality will be measurable in some way either now or in the future.

Unfortunately your reality seems to be tied to what is measurable but not that which sees, measures, and knows. What sees cannot be seen as seeing. What knows cannot be known as knowing.

Photonic

Ad astra!
Unfortunately your reality seems to be tied to what is measurable but not that which sees, measures, and knows. What sees cannot be seen as seeing. What knows cannot be known as knowing.

It is unfortunate that that is completely illogical and has no application.

Amill

Apikoros
I went through a phase of agnosticism before I considered myself an atheist. And I was never religious, so my atheism was never really a revolt, more of a realization. I simply began to feel that our Universe was more likely to exist without the assistance of a creator.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
What does the age of the individual have to do with whether or not their beliefs are accurate? I was an atheist when I was a teenager and I'm an atheist now.

It was a thought and I think by everyone responce I am happy with the results. I don't expect everyone to understand.

Its a behaviour thing towards parents from the parents view. How does a child behave with his parents, How does a teenager and How does an adult with his own kids behave toward there parents.

Looking from the outside in the people I know that are atheist, theists and agnostic. The way they deal with God behaviourly matches very well with these discriptions.

A child respects his parents, trys to listen to his parents, is sad when he makes his parents unhappy. Isn't this what theist does with god.

A teenager challenges his parents, believes he/she have the necessary knowledge, beleives he/she knows all that is needed.
The atheist challenges those that believe in God, The atheist knows that the answers are all in the world, The atheist knows that we have all we need.

The young parent is concerned about his life, has a new respect for his parents, realizes that all his parents say may not be right for him.
The agnostic has decided that there is no proof for god, respects both theistic views and atheistic views but does agree that either is right for him.

Behavior's may not be the right description but I could match even more things to each. If you were honest I think you could too.
The issues is everyone thinks its a ranking, but this is not true. I am not saying any is better or any is right. I am just saying it is how they are.
For my part I would want to be the teenager first and foremost, child second and parent last, but I put myself in the parent group.