• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is atheism a type of satanism?

Corvus

Feathered eyeball connoisseur
Satanism is not atheism and atheism is not satanism, however every Satanist I have ever met has claimed that they do not believe in God or Satan, that they merely 'suspend' disbelief when carrying out certain rituals. So therefore I claim that satanism is (in essence) just an infantile derivation or perversion of atheism.

Last edited:
Your unqualified opinion is worthless without substantation, so I can only laugh contemptuously (mwa ha ha ha) at your empty and pointless statement. I believe I have no alternative but to put you on ignore. Goodbye Satan's Serrated Edge, I will not debate with people like yourself who do not appear to understand what debate is exactly, it is a waste of both of our time. Utterly futile. I have absolutely no patience for this kind of thing. Good luck with all future endeavours. No offence intended. I am sure you're otherwise a cool guy.
You will not find anyone on this forum, or indeed anywhere else, that has a more robust understanding of Satanism than I do. No bravado, just a fact. I've been studying this **** since the early 90s, and have considered myself a Satanist just as long.

With that said, let me break down why your statement was trash.

"Satanism is based on atheism. It's atheism + a whole layer of philosophical and ethical ideology.
Satanism is neither theistic nor atheistic, as it is not prescriptive. There are plenty of Satanists on both sides of that line. The philosophical and ethical ideology too, should such a thing exist in any given Satanist, will vary from case to case as such things are secondary to, and resultant from, doing the WORK required to tread the LHP. If you find two with the exact same 'philosophical and ethical ideologies', one is surely following the other..which is antithesis to left handed attainment.

You simply don't know what you are talking about.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
In discussions with atheists, if they hadnt already told me that they were atheists, the arguments etc were no different from satanism arguments.

Is atheism, satanism?

Are atheists unwilling satanists?

Is this why atheistic satanism is so common?

Don't ask a question you don't really want an answer to. You already hold this silly belief, so don't pose it as though you're asking for a discussion on it. If the only thing that you've got is that atheists and satanists have some of the same arguments, then your logical capabilities are severely limited and you're not going to convince anyone with a brain that your loopy theory is true.

A Vestigial Mote

Your unqualified opinion is worthless without substantation, so I can only laugh contemptuously (mwa ha ha ha) at your empty and pointless statement. I believe I have no alternative but to put you on ignore. Goodbye Satan's Serrated Edge, I will not debate with people like yourself who do not appear to understand what debate is exactly, it is a waste of both of our time. Utterly futile. I have absolutely no patience for this kind of thing. Good luck with all future endeavours. No offence intended. I am sure you're otherwise a cool guy.

I'm pretty sure he was only stating that you really had no substantiation for your first two sentences:

Satanism is based on atheism. It's atheism + a whole layer of philosophical and ethical ideology.

Plus it sort of ruins the point you seem to be trying to make in the next part of that same post:

Hi I am Corvus. My personal religion has no God(s). So I am an atheist. Not a Satanist.

Stick with me here... you say that your personal religion "has no God(s)", and imply that this is what makes you an atheist and not a Satanist. Which implicitly means that you feel Satanists' religion DOES incorporate God(s), which is what differentiates it from "atheism." Staying within that context and then re-visiting your original two lines, you then make no sense whatsoever because you state "Satanism is based on atheism" and that Satanism "[is] atheism + a whole layer of philosophical and ethical ideology." However, as you sort of pointed out, atheism is a lack of belief in God(s).

To sum up, on one hand you differentiate Satanism from atheism by stating that because your belief (atheism) has no gods, it is therefore differentiated from Satanism (which would imply that you feel Satanism does have god(s)). But you state that Satanism is "atheism +" - but how could this be when the very implication that Satanism involves god(s) would disqualify it as being "atheism" in the first place?

Further noting that there are others in this thread who have pointed out that there are adherents to Satanism who also consider themselves atheists (which would mean their particular brand of Satanism doesn't incorporate God or gods), I'm sorry to have to say that your first two sentences of that original post truly do become "garbage."

Corvus

I'm pretty sure he was only stating that you really had no substantiation for your first two sentences:

Perhaps he misunderstood also.

Stick with me here... you say that your personal religion "has no God(s)", and imply that this is what makes you an atheist and not a Satanist. Which implicitly means that you feel Satanists' religion DOES incorporate God(s), which is what differentiates it from "atheism." Staying within that context and then re-visiting your original two lines, you then make no sense whatsoever because you state "Satanism is based on atheism" and that Satanism "[is] atheism + a whole layer of philosophical and ethical ideology." However, as you sort of pointed out, atheism is a lack of belief in God(s).
No that is not what I was implying whatsoever, your misrepresentation is hopefully accidental. I was merely stating that Satanism is essentially atheistic in nature, that it's adherents have no belief in God or the Devil. Normally that is. However ATHEISM is simply the non belief in Gods, there is no additional special doctrine philosophy or code of ethics etc attached to it. SATANISM on the other hand and I mean modern satanism as such as I have encountered includes all kinds of ethical values as found in works such as the satanic bible. The Satanic Bible - Wikipedia. So therefore Satanism is an atheistic religion but that does not mean Satanism = Atheism as the OP suggests might be the case. I don't grokk what is so particularly difficult about this disarmingly simple premise.

To sum up, on one hand you differentiate Satanism from atheism by stating that because your belief (atheism) has no gods, it is therefore differentiated from Satanism (which would imply that you feel Satanism does have god(s)). But you state that Satanism is "atheism +" - but how could this be when the very implication that Satanism involves god(s) would disqualify it as being "atheism" in the first place?
I think you have simply totally misunderstood my comment.

Further noting that there are others in this thread who have pointed out that there are adherents to Satanism who also consider themselves atheists (which would mean their particular brand of Satanism doesn't incorporate God or gods), I'm sorry to have to say that your first two sentences of that original post truly do become "garbage."
Well you should reconsider your interpretation.

Atheism is part of Satanism (In that Satanism is an atheistic religion), but Satanism is not part of Atheism....is that better?

Last edited:

Corvus

I particulary resent Satanism for tainting Atheism with any philosophical connection or association, of any kind. Since it gives ammunition for religious people perhaps like the OP author to scaremonger and demonise atheism.

Last edited:

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
In discussions with atheists, if they hadnt already told me that they were atheists, the arguments etc were no different from satanism arguments.

Is atheism, satanism?

Atheists are unwittingly furthering causes dear to Satan. It is an unfortunate side effect from distrusting Jesus.

A Vestigial Mote

Atheists are unwittingly furthering causes dear to Satan. It is an unfortunate side effect from distrusting Jesus.
There are no "side effects" for "distrusting Jesus", I assure you, and I can also guarantee I am not "furthering causes dear to Satan". That one's easy, because Satan would have to exist before any causes could be dear to him.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Is atheism, satanism?

A Buddhist can be an atheist but doesn't have to be. A Buddhist may give you arguments for being an atheist that doesn't necessarily related to them being a Buddhist.

Online forums is more a microcosm of religious idealism. How many Satanists have you ran into in RL? For me, none that I know of so can't really say how common satanism is let alone atheistic satanism.

Folks in a non-theistic religious belief would be atheist by definition if not necessarily by choice.

Milton Platt

Is atheism, satanism?

Since atheists do not believe in any gods, even demigods, the answer is no. Why would you think that a lack of belief in a god equals belief in a part of the god myth surrounding one of the gods they reject?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
So you are one of those atheists who believe in an additional whole heap of philosophical mumbo jumbo?
Uh, philosophical mumbo jumbo? Most atheists I know have philosophies, whether personal or organized. I'm an irreligious atheist, but I still identify under the philosophical idea of utilitarian style consequentialism, a system of normative ethics, for example. Philosophy is a great tool to unwrap beliefs and ideas, and communicate them successfully to others. Even atheistic Satanism presents a worthy question of the merit of so-called rational self-interest. I don't think that's mumbo jumbo, even if I disagree.

Corvus

I'm an irreligious atheist, but I still identify under the philosophical idea of utilitarian style consequentialism, a system of normative ethics, for example. Philosophy is a great tool to unwrap beliefs and ideas, and communicate them successfully to others.
I do not subscribe to any specific philosophy, not consciously anyway. I don't see philosophy as particularly helpful. I believe the scientific method is essentially able to answer any rational question. Philosophy is in my opinion only a few degrees away from religion. Since it is not constructed on empirical evidence based reasoning. I suppose that in itself could be labeled a philosophy, I do not know, it is not something I have studied in detail (unless it is strongly related to political ideology). I only have overview understandings of the most well known philosophical schools of thought. Marxism and Empiricism I find somewhat interesting.

Last edited:
I do not subscribe to any specific philosophy, not consciously anyway. I don't see philosophy as particularly helpful. I believe the scientific method is essentially able to answer any rational question. Philosophy is in my opinion only a few degrees away from religion. Since it is not based on empirical evidence based reasoning. I suppose that in itself could be labeled a philosophy, I do not know, it is not something I have studied in detail (unless it is strongly related to political ideology). I only have overview understandings of the most well known philosophical schools of thought. Marxism and Empiricism I find somewhat interesting.
Legit question here. Are you an aspie?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Atheistic Satanism?

If an atheist doesn't believe in Gods, why would you expect him to believe in any other invisible, supernatural entities?
Satanism is a belief system, is it not? Doesn't it entail an ethic and lifestyle? Atheism, per se, has none of these.
This ^^^

That could be interpreted as a scarcely concealed ad hom attack, what makes you ask that question?
Not at all. I have an aspie uncle, lots of experience dealing with aspies.

Aspies aren't lesser. You are usually brilliant within a spectrum. But there are certain ways of behaving and perceiving that are quite common to them, which you seem to be displaying here.

If you don't want to answer, that's fine.