• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is atheism a type of satanism?

Well wikipedia just told me that there are officially two kinds of satanists:

1 - Theistic satanists
2 - Atheistic satanists.

My guess is that you've encountered some atheistic satanists, and that they didn't come to those beliefs by accident.
That's true of all people though.
Atheistic people
Theistic people.

That's literally everybody.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
That's true of all people though.
Atheistic people
Theistic people.

That's literally everybody.

From wikipedia:

Since the 19th century, various small religious groups have emerged that self-identify as Satanists or use Satanic iconography. Satanist groups that appeared after the 1960s are widely diverse, but two major trends are theistic Satanism and atheistic Satanism. Theistic Satanists venerate Satan as a supernatural deity, viewing him not as omnipotent but rather as a patriarch. In contrast, atheistic Satanists regard Satan as merely a symbol of certain human traits.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Those wouldnt be atheists, unless they're outright lying. I'm not referring to people who are lying, in the premise.
Were you to come up to an atheist and say, 'you're lying about your belief. You really believe in this,' then I would probably say you're projecting your beliefs onto them instead of listening to them, and that's a poor way of going about things.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Were you to come up to an atheist and say, 'you're lying about your belief. You really believe in this,' then I would probably say you're projecting your beliefs onto them instead of listening to them, and that's a poor way of going about things.
Incidentally yes, this is frustrating when atheists do this too. Don't rebut a Muslim or Christian or Pagan by saying 'no, you *really* believe in this. You're just lying to yourself.' It's a dick move, no matter who is doing it

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
In discussions with atheists, if they hadnt already told me that they were atheists, the arguments etc were no different from satanism arguments.

Is atheism, satanism?

Are atheists unwilling satanists?

Is this why atheistic satanism is so common?

Atheism isn't even a religion.

Ricktheheretic

"Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law"
In discussions with atheists, if they hadnt already told me that they were atheists, the arguments etc were no different from satanism arguments.

Is atheism, satanism?

No and No. But maybe Laveyan "symbolic" Satanism is a type of atheism. BTW I don't see atheistic Satanism as common, its just more common than any other type of Satanism. Atheism, Agnosticism, the Brights, Humanism, etc. <explains different non-theistic beliefs Council for Secular Humanism <a group for non-theistic beliefs, no mention of Satan.

james bond

Is atheism, satanism?

Sounds like it. I was just reading the atheist Communist North Koreans launched a ballistic missile into the Sea of Japan.

Mindmaster

Premium Member

Is atheism, satanism?

Just my opinion, but... Atheistic Satanism is low-rent, AKA relatively zero risk and mainstream that's why it's common. Hit Hot-Topic, read a little too much The Satanic Bible, Ragnar Redbeard, Nietzsche, or Rand and you're in. The Satanic Temple (aka liberal / political Satanism) is even more fun-zies for the masses, since it has nothing to do with a life philosophy whatsoever - they literally have to do nothing but pretend to be a Satanist. The only thing they agree with each other on is that they are atheists...

Yes, so ultimately, there are more atheists because it is easier. :D

P.S. No atheists are atheists, but they could be humanists, satanists, pastafarians, discordians, subgenii, or any other silly stuff.

The Holy Bottom Burp

Is atheism, satanism?

No to all of the above, pretty obvious right? People lack a belief in a deity for any number of reasons, but I'd hardly say the common link is an interest in or devotion to satan right? So by definition not a Satanist correct?

Your questions did trigger something in me that I've always wondered about though. How many Christians are atheists? I don't just mean the church leaders, who might go here The Clergy Project - Religious Leaders Beyond Belief but the people who fill the pews every Sunday. When I was a Christian I went to a lot of different churches, some traditional, but mostly evangelical happy clappy ones, the "bible believing" variety. I was quite surprised (maybe a tad naïve in those days) to find a lot of disbelief and apathy in the faithful, it was clearly a case of tired tradition for some, a "social" thing for others, a lifestyle hobby for a great many. I seriously doubted they really believed back then when I did believe, not just the usual religious judgemental attitude towards any other believer that has a different theology/doctrine to your own, you could just tell their heart wasn't in it. Lets be honest it is something that is fairly easy to read in other human beings about anything, not just religion.

I wish being an atheist made your hair turn green when you step into a church. I'd have a lot of fun watching all the green haired people coming out after the service, trying to cover their embarrassment with their hats!

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Since most Japanese people are atheist, are we supposed to feel bad for them or are you going to condemn them too in the inane sweeping diatribe you love so much?
Wahoo. At least there will be Sushi bars all over the place in Hell. Sweet!