• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Atheism a claim to the nature of reality and the universe?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
"Atheism is a claim to the nature of reality and the universe" *

Does one mean that every one belonging to Atheism makes this claim automatically or by default, please?

Regards

*Courtesy post #112 from Frater Sisyphus

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Some atheists will say that the nature of the universe is a materialistic one without any supernatural events or beings affecting the relationships between material forces.
Some atheists will say that the nature of the universe includes both material and non material forces, but not gods.
Some atheists will say that the nature of the universe doesn't show evidence of having interacted with non-material forces or gods.
And many more. It depends on the atheist. There is more than one type.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Some atheists will say that the nature of the universe is a materialistic one without any supernatural events or beings affecting the relationships between material forces.
Some atheists will say that the nature of the universe includes both material and non material forces, but not gods.
Some atheists will say that the nature of the universe doesn't show evidence of having interacted with non-material forces or gods.

G-d is an attributive entity. He is the Creator of the universe and its nature, whether materialistic or otherwise so He doesn't have to found by the human tools and is out of their reach. Nature is what G-d has willed it to be.
Regards

Darkstorn

This shows how unique i am.
G-d is an attributive entity. He is the Creator of the universe and its nature, whether materialistic or otherwise so He doesn't have to found by the human tools and is out of their reach. Nature is what G-d has willed it to be.
Regards

I thought this thread was about atheism, not theism?

I thought that at this point, after all these threads, you would understand that atheists don't typically believe in gods.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Regards

But thats irelevant if not to some fiction to many atheists.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Regards
That is certainly your view. Not atheist's, though.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Does one mean that every one belonging to Atheism makes this claim automatically or by default, please?

Regards

What's the point of the question?

If you're looking to bring forth a logical argument against atheist, then just bring it forth. Lets say some atheists make this claim. Then you can have a grand old time showing those that do the illogic of it.

Those that don't can just accept the discussion doesn't pertain to them. I suspect this later category to be most of them but who knows, maybe your dream atheist is just out there waiting for you to make your case.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I thought this thread was about atheism, not theism?

I thought that at this point, after all these threads, you would understand that atheists don't typically believe in gods.
But they don't have any inclusive rights on the universe. Do they, please?
Regards

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Atheism is simply a "not belief" in God/s. Anything else is up to the individual to decide for themselves.
What is so hard about that concept!

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Regards

This statement of Theist belief does not address the question concerning the diverse nature of belief among atheists.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Going by your link, I'll use myself. I Know (not just claim) god/s (deities) do not exist. I made a statement and conclusion based on what I know and percieve as about life on earth. What information I came across, observations, and experiences to the contrary. I don't know about the universe (stars and planets etc) because I can only conclude what I personally know for myself. The earth isn't the center of the universe; so, it doesn't revolve around us.

If deities exist, it is the claim of the theist because he made the statement. I just oppose to it. If someone said that they are adnormal and I believed they were normal, their opinion is the basis of the opposition of my statement. If there were no theists to make claims or state knowledge of the universe, I wouldn't be an athiest. I'd just, um, be a regular everyday person without no reason nor experience that deities would exist. (I don't have six sense)

I use deities because there are so many definitions of gods from metaphor, creator, to earth, and all. Deities in specific to beings. Not a specific deity.

So, to use your wordings, I make claims of the universe but only out of my perspective, observations, and experiences of it.

Objectively and universally, the question is irrelevant to atheists. We can state what we know or believe doesn't exist; but, making absolute claims of that knowledghe outside ourselves? I only know some theist to claim that. I never heard a Pagan claim it. I don't know how Hindu defines deities more than general knowledge they give to outsiders. I'm sure other people outside abrahamics see deities as real. I'm just going off what I know.

David T

Premium Member
That entire structure of reasoning is in application to the text in religion as well. We tend to not address that which underpins out perceptions. We simply tend to have perceptions that's been handed to us without realising it. This is a CULT-ure very deeply rooted in reading books. It's main religion is really a book cult for much of it. How many Bible burning ceremonies are there in church? Zero. Why?, because it's cultish about books starting with the Bible. Modernity is the same it's just cultish about other books is all!!!! Debates are an internal cult debate to which, semantically books are correct!!!

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Regards

Is theism a claim to the nature of reality and the universe?

I'd think so. Am I wrong? specifically there being a God involved somehow.

So atheism maybe you think should be the opposite of that right? A claim that there is no such God.

The "a" prefix means without. Atheism, without a claim about any God being involved in the universe.

If we can get past all that, I'm happy to tell you why I choose to not make any claims about a God being involved in the nature of reality and the universe.