• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is anything real?

Lady Crimson

credo quia absurdum
I often ask myself that question...Why am I me? Why am I not someone else? Probably because then I would ask myself the same question...What if everything in our daily life is just a thing of our imagination?...have you ever asked yourself these questions?

huajiro

That is the first time I have heard anyone else say that besides me. I have had moments when I was somewhere important, and it is as if I step out of myself and wonder if I am really there, if I really exist, etc. Unfortunately, it is usually in a moment when I shouldn't be thinking such things. :)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Lady Crimson said:
I often ask myself that question...Why am I me? Why am I not someone else? Probably because then I would ask myself the same question...What if everything in our daily life is just a thing of our imagination?...have you ever asked yourself these questions?
What you are thinking is 'Solipsism' (a theory holding that the self can know nothing but its own modifications and that the self is the only existent thing)

I think its something we have probabky all thought at one time or another.......:)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I ask myself that almost everyday. Maybe life is a dream and when we die we wake up as something completly different.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You're not alone, LadyCrimson. This is the most fundamental tenet of many of the "Eastern" religions.

A billion Hindus and Buddhist cant be wrong! ;)

Lady Crimson

credo quia absurdum
What you are thinking is 'Solipsism' (a theory holding that the self can know nothing but its own modifications and that the self is the only existent thing)
That is very interesting, Michel!

This is the most fundamental tenet of many of the "Eastern" religions.

A billion Hindus and Buddhist cant be wrong
True, true! :p

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
All I can say is that if I am the only one around, I have a pretty vivid imagination! - not to mention a strange sense of humour!:biglaugh:

anders

The butterfly thing is Daoism (Zhuang Zi).
michel said:
Solipsism is only partially correct. Go all the way: I can't even be sure that I exist - I'm probably only the imagination/dream of some crazy whoknowswhat.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Ya...everyday.....and ever since I seen the Matrix.
I was thinking weird life possibilities before the Matrix. But it is very possible we are trapped in The Matrix, because only the highly successful and powerful become aware of it. Unless something goes wrong.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
I used to wonder sometimes whether I was just dreaming my life and I'd wake up and still be 6. haven't thought about that for ages.

Crystallas

I wonder if I have an alternate life when Im asleep. I wonder if in my other life, do I try to remember what my dreams were, and if they were the same as my present life. Then I wonder if the days I sleep 14 hours or some crazy amount means that my other life was awake for that amount of time. Or when Im awake for days at a time, does my other life sleep for days at a time.

Far fetched, but Im being honest... this theory makes me concentrate on my dreams in a diffrent way.

Fluffy

A fool
That is a question which takes its place firmly in the centre of my philosophy, Lady Crimson. How do you respond to such a question?