• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is anything real?

nilsz

bzzt
My personal perspective is that nothing can be proven absolutely except perhaps for our immediate sensation, because all sensation can hypothetically have been manipulated so that it does not reflect reality. We may have false memories, we may live in a simulated reality, and our perception of this moment's past and continuation may all be artificial.

Is this reason to act in any way other than what your convictions would dictate?

I think not. It just takes time to get comfortable with it.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Is there anything which is provable? Is anything real?
That's a bit vague isn't it? If you want to do a comparative study of the factual content of different fields, claims, doctrines... This doesn't really help to build any direction.

roger1440

I do stuff
"I think, therefore I am." René Descartes

3130603030_38e169ef16.jpg

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member

Supposedly math is. :p

As for your other question, I am pro-reality. I have no reason to assume that reality doesn't exist. Nor do I have a reason to assume that the way I experience reality is incorrect. Yes, it is possible and probable that my senses do not tell me the whole story. But the part they tell is reliable.

Contemplative Cat

energy formation
It really depends on what you consider to be real.
What you can sense and is thus relative, or what is universal and thus absolute.

The world is both real and unreal. But it is contradictory to say things both are & are not.

Trully it is MU. no truthful answer for thus question.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

If you can prove you are real then you can prove things are real to you. You will never be able to prove it to others, they must prove it to themselves.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
"I think, therefore I am."
René Descartes

Can I confess that I despise that saying?
(and also think much of the rest of this guy's philosophies are rubbish, but in particular this one)

Kumar should be mandatory reading in American high schools or something:

Satish Kumar said:
'I think, therefore I am' (cogito, ergo sum), proclaimed Rene Descartes. This one phrase describes the direction of Western science, philosophy, politics and the social order. When I first heard it, I was puzzled by Cartesian logic; in India we have been speaking of the dissolution and even the nonexistence of the self for many centuries. But here was an eminent European philosopher basing the very foundation of existence on the self!

As I learnt more about Western culture, I realised how Cartesian dualism was an essential feature of a thought process which divided mind and matter, separated soul and body and looked at the world as a collection of objects to be analysed, compartmentalised, classified, and controlled. This Cartesian subject-object dualism or mind-matter split has become the dominant paradigm of Western culture.

It is interesting to note that Descartes had his philosophical insight while literally sitting in a stove, in an isolated and lonely place, whereas the Buddah had his enlightenment sitting under a tree, by a river, observing nature. No wonder the Buddah saw reality as 'co-dependent arising', which could be roughly translated as "Only Connect'.

Descartes attracted everybody's attention because he was the fisrt philosopher to bring scientific methodology into philosophical investigation. The starting point of the Cartesian enquiry is to doubt, which was a useful tool at a time when questioning was quashed and blind beliefs imposed. But Cartesian doubt went too far - the baby was thrown out with the bath water.

My upbringing was rooted in faith and in trust. Descartes discarded trust altogether, and a new dogma of doubt and then dualism became the dominant paradigm of his thinking, and later of Western culture.
Excerpted from You are, Therefore I am: A Declaration of Dependence.

We should be far more certain of the rest of reality existing given our dependence on it. Cogito, ergo sum is so $#@ backwards.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Can I confess that I despise that saying?
(and also think much of the rest of this guy's philosophies are rubbish, but in particular this one)

Kumar should be mandatory reading in American high schools or something:

Excerpted from You are, Therefore I am: A Declaration of Dependence.

We should be far more certain of the rest of reality existing given our dependence on it. Cogito, ergo sum is so $#@ backwards.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Descartes, but his saying is a good answer to the OP; it was the same question that spawned it. If i remember it correctly, Descartes asked himself the same question, and, through his process, decided that the only thing he could actually verify as existing was his mind. Everything else could a fabrication of it.

Akivah

We may have false memories, we may live in a simulated reality, and our perception of this moment's past and continuation may all be artificial. Is this reason to act in any way other than what your convictions would dictate?

I like it. All may be illusion, but we act in accordance of it.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
My personal perspective is that nothing can be proven absolutely except perhaps for our immediate sensation, because all sensation can hypothetically have been manipulated so that it does not reflect reality. We may have false memories, we may live in a simulated reality, and our perception of this moment's past and continuation may all be artificial.

Is this reason to act in any way other than what your convictions would dictate?

Yes, that is how I see it too. All we have are our own subjective experiences.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

Provable and real are two separate questions. The laws of thought are provable, as is most of logic and mathematics.

As for what is real, that involves metaphysical speculations that no perfectly sane person would indulge in, in my humble opinion. :D

sandandfoam

Veteran Member

From my perspective everything I perceive to be real is real. Furthermore, I do not believe anyone has access to objectivity. It is an illusion.
Human beings are trapped in subjectivity.