• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is anyone into Steampunk?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Is this steampunk?

a-punk-rocker-with-a-blue-mohawk-and-inside-a-sauna-background_1200x1200.jpg

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
No, that’s all wrong... All wrong! You have to wear a monocle, with a top hat. Or possibly a Boater Straw Hat. Actually a Bowler hat might even do.

Well, he's dressed in punk style, and he's in a steam room. Steampunk. Seems pretty obvious to me.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Maybe I'm just old, but there's something outputting about this degree of post-modern baroque. Ornamentation for the sheer sake of wretched excess seems just plain decadent.
Tom
Of course. It's a parody of the crank and shaft machinery of the time.

industry-technology-line-art-u4-clip-art__01040121.jpg
roller-printing-machine2.jpg

Textile processing machinery .....................roller-printing machine

800wm

Compound steam engine

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It's not my favorite, to be honest. There's some neat designs but the theming of the genre tends to be much shallower than genres like cyberpunk. Steampunk isn't really 'about' anything. The themes stop at the aesthetics.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe I'm just old, but there's something outputting about this degree of post-modern baroque. Ornamentation for the sheer sake of wretched excess seems just plain decadent.
Tom
The decadence is part of the point. Steampunk is the marriage of Victorian sensibility with steamworks technology sent to the future. Good steampunk fiction will challenge this with tackling Victorian classism. Bad ones will just be 'Tophats and steam planes are cool.'

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
My daughter is into some graphic novels of the genre.
And I really enjoyed a couple of steampunk themed video games over the years.

Heck, I still play Sunless Sea, which kinda has that aesthetic going.

Skwim

Veteran Member
It's not my favorite, to be honest. There's some neat designs but the theming of the genre tends to be much shallower than genres like cyberpunk. Steampunk isn't really 'about' anything. The themes stop at the aesthetics.
Shallower? Cyberpunk revolves around a single theme, and a timeworn one at that: violence. "I'll be back!" *Yawn* Steampunk is about reveling in the fantasies of yore when the latest machineries were envisioned to take us into the future by being bigger and "more." Likewise, it's clothing, with its quirky industrial revolution accouterments meets a hint of late 20th century sexiness is simply F U N. Anything fun about cyberpunk unless you're a sadist? Not that I can see.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Shallower? Cyberpunk revolves around a single theme, and a timeworn one at that: violence. "I'll be back!" *Yawn* Steampunk is about reveling in the fantasies of yore when the latest machineries were envisioned to take us into the future by being bigger and "more." Likewise, it's clothing, with its quirky industrial revolution accouterments meets a hint of late 20th century sexiness is simply F U N. Anything fun about cyberpunk unless you're a sadist? Not that I can see.

Terminator is technonoir, not cyberpunk. And cyberpunks theming is incredibly broad
From transhumanism to corporate future dystopianism. And while violence is not required in cyberpunk, I'd rather have some darker themes in my fiction than just empty titillation. And besides, the best steampunk stories also have violence (see bioshock), usually about classism or unrestrained technology or both. Hell the quintessential steampunk founding has terrorist villains like Captain Nemo. So I'm not really sure what you're going on about.