• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is anyone going to do something for the Autumn Equinox?

vaguelyhumanoid

Yes! It really frustrates me when people try and peg Oðin as some chest-thumping macho god. He encompasses both masculine and feminine qualities, which is a big part of what drew me to him. And Loki? He is beyond everything; he encompasses all genders and orientation. Loki can be whoever he wants, at any time. Maybe that's part of their connection as blood brothers - they are the queerest of the Æsir.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Yes! It really frustrates me when people try and peg Oðin as some chest-thumping macho god. He encompasses both masculine and feminine qualities, which is a big part of what drew me to him. And Loki? He is beyond everything; he encompasses all genders and orientation. Loki can be whoever he wants, at any time. Maybe that's part of their connection as blood brothers - they are the queerest of the Æsir.

At least of the ones of whom lots of knowledge survived.

I also really dislike the hyper-macho depictions of Woden (though I still love Manowar's music). Hyper-masculinity is Þunor's domain!

vaguelyhumanoid

My big pet peeve is depictions of Norse gods with horned helmets It's just so tacky and ahistorical, especially when the real helmets were so much cooler. I even saw a statue of Loki with a horned helmet online.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
My big pet peeve is depictions of Norse gods with horned helmets It's just so tacky and ahistorical, especially when the real helmets were so much cooler. I even saw a statue of Loki with a horned helmet online.

LOL The horned helmets thing is a pet peeve of mine, as well. Particularly when I see it being perpetuated by people who are SUPPOSED to be knowledgeable on these matters! DX

I love Marvel's Loki, but the disconnect is just so blatant... he wasn't necessarily evil or a Satan-equivalent. Besides, in pre-Christian iconography, the horned helm was a sign of fertility and fatherhood, not evil. Putting horns on Marvel Loki (Marveloki?)'s helm is just more making sure we know BAD GUY BAD GUY SATAN!

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
This is what I have been able to find about Autumnal Equinox in Hindu/Aryan literature. It was known as the Vishuvan day:

"The central day of the Sattra is called Vishuvân, and stands by itself, dividing the Sattra into two equal halves like the wings of a house (Tait. Br. I, 2, 3, 1); and the rites in the latter half of the session or after the Vishuvân day are performed in an order which is the reverse of that followed in forming the ceremonies in the first half of the sacrifice. The model annual Sattra (Indo-Aryan ritual cycle - the Gavâm-anayam - cow's walk) thus, consists of the following parts:

Days Parts

1 The introductory Atirâtra
1 The Chaturvimsha day, otherwise called the Ârambhaniya (Aît. Br. IV, 12), or the Prâya nîya (Tând. Br. IV. 2 the real beginning of the Sattra
150 Four Abhiplava, followed by one Prishthya shalaha each month; continued in this way for five months
24 Three Abhiplava and one Prishthya shalaha
1 The Abhijit day
3 The Three Svara-Sâman days
Vishuvân or the Central day which stands by itself i.e., not counted in the total of the Sattra days
3 The three Svara-Sâman days
1 The Vishvajit day
24 One Prishthya and three Abhiplava shalahas
120 One Prishthya and four Abhiplava shalahas each month continued in this way for four months
30 Three Abhiplava shalahas, one Go-shtoma, one Âyu-shtoma, and one Dasharâtra (the ten days of Dvâdashâha), making up one month
1 The Mahâvrata day, corresponding to the Chaturvimsha day at the beginning
1 The concluding Atirâtra
360 Total days

It will be seen from the above scheme that there are really a few sacrificial rites which are absolutely fixed and unchangeable in the yearly Sattra. The two Atirâtras, the introductory and the concluding, the Chaturvimsha and the Mahâvrata day, the Abhijit and the Vishvajit, the three Svara-Sâman days on either side of Vishuvân, the Vishuvân itself, and the ten days of Dvâdashâha, making up 22 days in all exclusive of Vishuvân, are the only parts that have any specialty about them. The rest of the days are all made up by Abhiplava and Prishthya shalahas which therefore constitute what may be called the elastic or the variable part of the yearly Sattra."

Vishuvan was counted among the 12 days of Calends, the Dvadashaha.
Source: 'Arctic Home in Vedas', Bal Gangadhar Tilak

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Just an update with some insight into this one's path, as my last post was pathetically brief.

I actually did two rituals. The first one was just bad, as I was a moron and decided to cut some corners with respect to the OBOD ritual lined out. I don't know what I was thinking, other than perhaps that I simply wasn't thinking. That day on the whole was just an off day, and I was achy and tired. So I did a "do-over" ritual later in the week that went much better.

There's some good lessons in this for all:

1. Don't expect every ritual to be perfect.
  2. You're allowed to take a do-over.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

We have a 19th century production of Wagner's Ring Cycle to thank for horned helmets and fat valkyrjur.

6a00d834c9d85969e201287611b54e970c-pi

vaguelyhumanoid

I was kind of a mess for the days around the equinox, so I didn't do anything huge after all. I did leave part of an apple on a stone by a river for the land spirits though.