• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is all this recent Climate Change stuff pure hysteria?

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
That is not how odds work. Just because we have not been hit in the last 65 million years does not mean that the odds go up.

Existential risk is greater than the odds of a catastrophic asteroid impact, because there are many other events besides this that could cause human extinction.

Existential risk - RationalWiki

Global catastrophic risk - Wikipedia

I foresee human intelligence merging together with artificial intelligence by way of artificial intelligence implants into most everybody's mind, which could then be networked together as a collective intelligence being nearly omniscient as well as being nearly omnipresent.

I reckon there might be some human resistance to such a movement, but inevitably such resistance to a collective cyborg intelligence would be futile.

73094e062316fa1224d2661b4c761a22.jpg

Last edited:

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Colonies will never be a solution to over population. The cost (and willingness) of transporting huge numbers of people (we are talking billions here) are, and will be for a long time, prohibitive.
The same holds true for transporting CO2 and CH4. At a current rate of about $ 2 million per kg, imagine what can be done with the same money here on earth to prevent production of the stuff or even capture and storage.
Disclaimer: I'm a big fan of space exploration and I think we should do much more in that direction. But it won't help us solve the named problems here on Earth.

"Between 1970 and 2000, the cost to launch a kilogram to space remained fairly steady, with an average of US$18,500 per kilogram. When the space shuttle was in operation, it could launch a payload of 27,500 kilograms for $1.5 billion, or $54,500 per kilogram. For a SpaceX Falcon 9, the rocket used to access the ISS, the cost is just $2,720 per kilogram."

How SpaceX lowered costs and reduced barriers to space

Milton Platt

I can remember being a young boy in primary school learning, in great scientific detail, about what climate change is, why it is happening and the role that human beings play in causing it.

This was something like circa 1998.

Since then, there have been modest yet genuine attempts to rectify the issue through carbon emissions schemes, changes to the materials corporations use, et al. It's modest, but progress has been made.

On the other hand, apocalyptic visions for the outcome of our impact of the world and a complete exaggeration of how we are all in imminent danger seems to have exploded into the forefront of the international media this year.

Personally, I think the biggest problem humans face today is that too many people in the West get off on being outraged.

I have never heard of a scientific research paper yet that concluded that "we are all in imminent danger". Only that the results of sticking our heads in the sand and ignoring the evidence that climate change is occurring and human actions are a major contributing factor will take us to a tipping point past which our ability to correct the problem will become exceedingly difficult or impossible.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Existential risk is greater than the odds of a catastrophic asteroid impact, because there are many other events besides this that could cause human extinction.

Existential risk - RationalWiki

Global catastrophic risk - Wikipedia

I foresee human intelligence merging together with artificial intelligence by way of artificial intelligence implants into most everybody's mind, which could then be networked together as a collective intelligence being nearly omniscient as well as being nearly omnipresent.

I reckon there might be some human resistance to such a movement, but inevitably such resistance to a collective cyborg intelligence would be futile.

73094e062316fa1224d2661b4c761a22.jpg
Just admit your error and move on.

julianalexander745

Hardly. Trump's actions are actively harming many third world countries. Better to do nothing rather than to do harm.

What if those harmful actions contribute to 1st world comfort? Sounds like a trade I would support.

It irritates me that so many people who condemn western prosperity at the expense of the 3rd world are presumably those who would never let go of the luxuries they enjoy; let alone clean drinking water.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
What if those harmful actions contribute to 1st world comfort? Sounds like a trade I would support.

It irritates me that so many people who condemn western prosperity at the expense of the 3rd world are presumably those who would never let go of the luxuries they enjoy; let alone clean drinking water.
You are only thinking short term. You are willing to take a short term gain that will have long term costs. You won't have to pay for it but your children and grandchildren definitely will. Your approach to AGW is both selfish and immoral.

julianalexander745

You are only thinking short term. You are willing to take a short term gain that will have long term costs. You won't have to pay for it but your children and grandchildren definitely will. Your approach to AGW is both selfish and immoral.

I don't have any children or grandchildren.

Selfish? Maybe. Immoral? Not necessarily.