• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is all news "fake news"..?

Daemon Sophic

I discover that news media
will change the wording to suit (ie, fabricate quotes). I catch
NPR doing this regularly.
Could you please provide some examples of this, or a source?

I find that NPR is simply too posed. When I’m flipping through stations to find news about politics, or science, or recent disasters, I find NPR talking to some musician with a recent album; asking her about her classical versus jazz upbringings.:rolleyes:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Could you please provide some examples of this, or a source?

I find that NPR is simply too posed. When I’m flipping through stations to find news about politics, or science, or recent disasters, I find NPR talking to some musician with a recent album; asking her about her classical versus jazz upbringings.:rolleyes:
I've given sourced examples before, but it's more work than I want to face to locate them again.

Our local NPR station gave up music in favor of news & talk some years ago.
I listen to some other nearby stations for jazz.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
everything on tv is fake and a deliberate effort to dominate your consciousness to fill your head with poison.
now they are putting up 1000s of starlink satellites to broaden their control over humanity's collective psyche
who are "they"? they are a demonic species of humanity who serve the devil

Be sure to wear your aluminum foil helmet and coat hanger antenna, and wrap your house in cling wrap. In emergencies when Chicken Little says the sky is falling take all sharp objects out of your pockets, and put your head between your knees.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
This is why I avoid listening to politicians say things.
Alas, sometimes I hear/read attributed quotes in the news,
& they just sound fishy. So I gird my loins, & search for the
original on youtube. Sure enuf, I discover that news media
will change the wording to suit (ie, fabricate quotes). I catch
NPR doing this regularly.

Cite specific examples please. This is the modus operendi of Fox News, and Breitbart

See: FOX's file: | PunditFact

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
As I've told another, I've done it before, but I'm not searching for it today.
I'm sure NPR isn't alone. But I cite them because they're my only radio source.

BBC, New York Times and NPR are among the most accurate news sources concerning 'factual news' Though I do consider NPR to have a liberal bias for editorials.

Breitbart is by far the worst, and FOX news a close second concerning 'fake news' of factually matters.

Cooky

Veteran Member
BBC, New York Times and NPR are among the most accurate news sources concerning 'factual news' Though I do consider NPR to have a liberal bias for editorials.

Breitbart is by far the worst, and FOX news a close second concerning 'fake news' of factually matters.

I don't think anyone should include FOX worse, in regards to fake news, than CNN.

CNN is bottom of the barrel garbage.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I don't think anyone should include FOX worse, in regards to fake news, than CNN.

CNN is bottom of the barrel garbage.

I believe my referenced and documented website is specific as who owns the most 'fake news trash.' I do not rate CNN as high as BBC and NPR, but unless you can document your emotional assertion, than it is hot air. I will agree that CNN is liberal as far as editorials, but that is not a 'fact' problem. FOX News is not the worst, Breitbart is unless you want to include Russian News sources.

I can document more 'fake news' issues with FOX and Breitbart in a later post. You have documented nothing.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I have been asking some other posters to teach me what fake news is, and to give me some examples, but in the end, their consensus was that all news is opinionated -but yet, nobody would make the connecting leap to say that ALL news is fake news.

So please, explain to me what is fake news and what is not fake news. I need examples. Thanks.
Are you just bitter because you thought the Babylon Bee was real?

Cooky

Veteran Member
I believe my referenced and documented website is specific as who owns the most 'fake news trash.' I do not rate CNN as high as BBC and NPR, but unless you can document your emotional assertion, than it is hot air. I will agree that CNN is liberal as far as editorials, but that is not a 'fact' problem. FOX News is not the worst, Breitbart is unless you want to include Russian News sources.

I can document more 'fake news' issues with FOX and Breitbart in a later post. You have documented nothing.

Fair enough, your evidence surpasses mine.

But let me ask you this; do you consider CNN to be psuedo-news? IOW, CNN picks and chooses their stories carefully in such a way that it persuades it's audience to see things the way the directors of the station want it to be seen?

...Kind of like how psuedo-science is.

Last edited by a moderator:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
RF is a favorite source of news, for me.

Because I don't expect, much less count on, anybody to be unbiased, complete, and accurate. So, I like sources that are heavily biased, but I know them well enough to factor in their biases. I know when to take something with a dash of salt, and when to use a dash of curry.

I can read posts from @Salvador, @tytlyf , @Landon Caeli , @Riders , @etc. And I know what I'm getting.

I'm the same way about other news sources. I prefer sources who's bias is transparent. Back during the last presidential campaign, I depended on Red State, Daily Kos, and Drudge Report. Because their biases were utterly clear, so I knew I could trust them to be reporting the news, from the perspective of people with a certain bias.

One cannot reasonably expect any particular source of information about current events to be accurate, complete, and unbiased. It's just not possible. It's like having a balanced diet. You need your carbs, your proteins, your fruits and vegetables. No one food group can supply all the nutrients needed for good health.
Tom

Riders

RF is a favorite source of news, for me.

Because I don't expect, much less count on, anybody to be unbiased, complete, and accurate. So, I like sources that are heavily biased, but I know them well enough to factor in their biases. I know when to take something with a dash of salt, and when to use a dash of curry.

I can read posts from @Salvador, @tytlyf , @Landon Caeli , @Riders , @etc. And I know what I'm getting.

I'm the same way about other news sources. I prefer sources who's bias is transparent. Back during the last presidential campaign, I depended on Red State, Daily Kos, and Drudge Report. Because their biases were utterly clear, so I knew I could trust them to be reporting the news, from the perspective of people with a certain bias.

One cannot reasonably expect any particular source of information about current events to be accurate, complete, and unbiased. It's just not possible. It's like having a balanced diet. You need your carbs, your proteins, your fruits and vegetables. No one food group can supply all the nutrients needed for good health.
Tom

Thanks.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Intuition guides us.
When something is important or just smells fishy,
we should apply gray matter, & check other sources.
The problem I see with the whole "intuition" is that passion gets to involved.
Then we run a serious risk of allowing Passion to Rule Reason.

One of the big reasons fake news is such a problem is that people are stupid:
"People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."​
~Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander​

Wandering Monk

Advocacy journalism - Wikipedia

Advocacy journalists may reject the principle of objectivity in their work for several different reasons.

Studies have shown that despite efforts to remain completely impartial, journalism is unable to escape some degree of implicit bias, whether political, personal, or metaphysical, whether intentional or subconscious. This does not necessarily indicate an outright rejection of the existence of an objective reality, but rather recognition of the inability to report on it in a value-free fashion and the controversial nature of objectivity in journalism. Many journalists and scholars accept the philosophical idea of pure "objectivity" as being impossible to achieve,[5] but still strive to minimize bias in their work. It is also argued that as objectivity is an impossible standard to satisfy, all types of journalism have some degree of advocacy, whether are intentional or not.[6]

HonestJoe

So please, explain to me what is fake news and what is not fake news. I need examples. Thanks.
The fundamental issue here is that the term "fake news" has been used to refer to a vast range of very different ideas and concepts. It evolved (arguably, was corrupted) over time and so now either requires very specific context to be discussed or, preferably IMO, shouldn't be used at all, with the exact topic of discussion described in sufficient detail to avoid misunderstanding.

Heyo

Veteran Member
page1-450px-How_to_Spot_Fake_News.pdf.jpg
Alternatively check if the Donald has called it "fake news". If so, it is most probably true.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The problem I see with the whole "intuition" is that passion gets to involved.
Then we run a serious risk of allowing Passion to Rule Reason.

One of the big reasons fake news is such a problem is that people are stupid:
"People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."​
~Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander​
We should have intuition which at times urges us to
investigate further, & apply reason to more evidence.