1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is all news "fake news"..?

Discussion in 'North American Politics' started by Cooky, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Daemon Sophic

Daemon Sophic Avatar in flux

Ratings:
    +2,620
    Could you please provide some examples of this, or a source?

I find that NPR is simply too posed. When I’m flipping through stations to find news about politics, or science, or recent disasters, I find NPR talking to some musician with a recent album; asking her about her classical versus jazz upbringings.:rolleyes:

2. Revoltingest

Revoltingest I have the kavorka
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +58,709
    Religion:
    Bokononism & Atheism
    I've given sourced examples before, but it's more work than I want to face to locate them again.

Our local NPR station gave up music in favor of news & talk some years ago.
    I listen to some other nearby stations for jazz.

3. shunyadragon

shunyadragon shunyadragon
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,864
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    Be sure to wear your aluminum foil helmet and coat hanger antenna, and wrap your house in cling wrap. In emergencies when Chicken Little says the sky is falling take all sharp objects out of your pockets, and put your head between your knees.

• Like Like x 1
  4. shunyadragon

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,864
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    Cite specific examples please. This is the modus operendi of Fox News, and Breitbart

See: FOX's file: | PunditFact

5. Revoltingest

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +58,709
    Religion:
    Bokononism & Atheism
    As I've told another, I've done it before, but I'm not searching for it today.
    I'm sure NPR isn't alone. But I cite them because they're my only radio source.

6. shunyadragon

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,864
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    Phfffffffffft! Plop!!!

7. Revoltingest

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +58,709
    Religion:
    Bokononism & Atheism
    There's no arguing with that.

8. shunyadragon

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,864
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    BBC, New York Times and NPR are among the most accurate news sources concerning 'factual news' Though I do consider NPR to have a liberal bias for editorials.

Breitbart is by far the worst, and FOX news a close second concerning 'fake news' of factually matters.

9. Cooky

Cooky Yuck

Ratings:
    +2,259
    Religion:
    Catholic
    I don't think anyone should include FOX worse, in regards to fake news, than CNN.

CNN is bottom of the barrel garbage.

10. shunyadragon

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,864
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    I believe my referenced and documented website is specific as who owns the most 'fake news trash.' I do not rate CNN as high as BBC and NPR, but unless you can document your emotional assertion, than it is hot air. I will agree that CNN is liberal as far as editorials, but that is not a 'fact' problem. FOX News is not the worst, Breitbart is unless you want to include Russian News sources.

I can document more 'fake news' issues with FOX and Breitbart in a later post. You have documented nothing.

11. 9-10ths_Penguin

9-10ths_Penguin 1/10 Subway Stalinist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +16,902
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    Are you just bitter because you thought the Babylon Bee was real?

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Cooky

Cooky Yuck

Ratings:
    +2,259
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Fair enough, your evidence surpasses mine.

But let me ask you this; do you consider CNN to be psuedo-news? IOW, CNN picks and chooses their stories carefully in such a way that it persuades it's audience to see things the way the directors of the station want it to be seen?

...Kind of like how psuedo-science is.

#72 Cooky, Jan 11, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2020
  13. Cooky

Cooky Yuck

Ratings:
    +2,259
    Religion:
    Catholic
    See, just by you asking that question illuminates the possibility that such a ridiculous claim is even a possibility.

...That's a Fake Question..! :cool:

14. columbus

columbus yawn <ignore> yawn

Ratings:
    +16,316
    Religion:
    None
    RF is a favorite source of news, for me.

Because I don't expect, much less count on, anybody to be unbiased, complete, and accurate. So, I like sources that are heavily biased, but I know them well enough to factor in their biases. I know when to take something with a dash of salt, and when to use a dash of curry.

I can read posts from @Salvador, @tytlyf , @Landon Caeli , @Riders , @etc. And I know what I'm getting.

I'm the same way about other news sources. I prefer sources who's bias is transparent. Back during the last presidential campaign, I depended on Red State, Daily Kos, and Drudge Report. Because their biases were utterly clear, so I knew I could trust them to be reporting the news, from the perspective of people with a certain bias.

One cannot reasonably expect any particular source of information about current events to be accurate, complete, and unbiased. It's just not possible. It's like having a balanced diet. You need your carbs, your proteins, your fruits and vegetables. No one food group can supply all the nutrients needed for good health.
    Tom

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Riders

Riders Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,871
    Religion:
    Unitarian Universalism,Pagan,Zen
    Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mestemia

Mestemia Advocatus Diaboli
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +11,318
    The problem I see with the whole "intuition" is that passion gets to involved.
    Then we run a serious risk of allowing Passion to Rule Reason.

One of the big reasons fake news is such a problem is that people are stupid:
    "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."​
    ~Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander​

• Like Like x 1
  17. Wandering Monk

Wandering Monk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,188
    Religion:
    agnostic
    Advocacy journalism - Wikipedia

Advocacy journalists may reject the principle of objectivity in their work for several different reasons.

Studies have shown that despite efforts to remain completely impartial, journalism is unable to escape some degree of implicit bias, whether political, personal, or metaphysical, whether intentional or subconscious. This does not necessarily indicate an outright rejection of the existence of an objective reality, but rather recognition of the inability to report on it in a value-free fashion and the controversial nature of objectivity in journalism. Many journalists and scholars accept the philosophical idea of pure "objectivity" as being impossible to achieve,[5] but still strive to minimize bias in their work. It is also argued that as objectivity is an impossible standard to satisfy, all types of journalism have some degree of advocacy, whether are intentional or not.[6]

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. HonestJoe

HonestJoe Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,496
    Religion:
    None
    The fundamental issue here is that the term "fake news" has been used to refer to a vast range of very different ideas and concepts. It evolved (arguably, was corrupted) over time and so now either requires very specific context to be discussed or, preferably IMO, shouldn't be used at all, with the exact topic of discussion described in sufficient detail to avoid misunderstanding.

19. Heyo

Heyo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,442
    Religion:
    none
    Alternatively check if the Donald has called it "fake news". If so, it is most probably true.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Revoltingest

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +58,709
    Religion:
    Bokononism & Atheism
    We should have intuition which at times urges us to
    investigate further, & apply reason to more evidence.

• Like Like x 1