• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is all illness caused by sin?

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
Well, I believe this. But I am not an expert, I just have my theories. I believe all disease and illness are symptoms of a neglected or malnutritioned spirit. There are studies that lend some evidence to this.

Posted by Pennywise on Monday September 01, @08:44PM
from the laughter-is-the-best-medicine dept.

Biocompare News reports that your mind may be able to influence your immune system -- think the right thoughts and you may not get sick. Richard Davidson (previously mentioned here) has found that a positive attitude can keep a person healthy, although the reason why isn't well understood... yet.
"By monitoring activity levels in the human brain's prefrontal cortex, the researchers demonstrate for the first time that people who have more activity in the left side of this area also have a stronger immune response against disease. The findings, soon to be published in the online edition of the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, pinpoint one of the mechanisms underlying the link between mental and physical well-being.
The thing is that when you sin, which is a seperation from God, (God is love). Being seperate from love, usually leads to being filled with guilt, or fear, or anger, jealousy, etc. These emotions cause more stress, and all have negative effects on the body.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Melody said:
Does anyone actually belief it is? I mean, now...in this day and age.
Do you know, I believe I do.

O.K, so now that you have stopped laughing; maybe not sin per se - but I am interested in the theory that physical aiments are often as a consequence of psychological traumas, and ways of thinking; I am not the only one.

There is some value in the though that people lose their sight and hearing as they become older, because they no longer want to hear nor see what is going on around them. I have had long chats with my doctor about this (we are almost friends - I see him so often:D ).

When I was a kid I was severly 'put off' all forms of competition; whenever there was to be an exam at school, I would come down with a bout of Bronchitis, or flu - with a high temperature - o.K it was not because I had 'sinned' but it was because my subconscious was trying to stop me from being in the 'lose again' situation.

The reason for which I am tying this in with sin, is on the supposition that if you sin and have a conscience, you will 'feel bad inside' - and that that feeling can manifest itself with physical ailments.........Now laugh again!.......:D

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
is all illness causrd by sin .............. NO
Is some illness caused by sin............Not if Jesus has anything to do with it, he went around making people better, I don't recall him ever making any one ill.
Is some illness caused by the mind............Yes
Is all illness caused by the mind..................No
much illness is caused by organisms living their lives in us, this is nature not sin.
Can illness be cured by God through prayer..... Yes if that is the will of God
Terry

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Terrywoodenpic said:
is all illness causrd by sin .............. NO
Is some illness caused by sin............Not if Jesus has anything to do with it, he went around making people better, I don't recall him ever making any one ill.
Is some illness caused by the mind............Yes
Is all illness caused by the mind..................No
much illness is caused by organisms living their lives in us, this is nature not sin.
Can illness be cured by God through prayer..... Yes if that is the will of God
Terry
I agree with you on the whole, Terry - but as you yourself have said, above "Is some illness caused by the mind............Yes" -also "much illness is caused by organisms living their lives in us, this is nature not sin. " which I do not deny; I merely would like you to consider that our bodies are ain a constant state of 'balance' - balance of the organisms you mention above. Our imune response depends on our psychological state of mind - therefore, do you not think that a change in thought pattern (depression, anxiety, stress) - can lead to the reduction of imune efficiency, which in turn will lead to some forms of malaise ?

Take a specific example about which I know; anti-biotics destroy some of the bacteria in our stomachs - after a hefty dose of anti-biotics, it is always considered good policy to take 'live' yoghourt, to redress the imbalance.

I am not suggesting that sin causes illness - what I am suggesting though is that sin can cause us to become frustrated, overcome by guilt - etc - to which the psychological response is a lestening of the imune system, which then allows for illnesses to occur. Make sense?:)

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
michel said:
I am not suggesting that sin causes illness - what I am suggesting though is that sin can cause us to become frustrated, overcome by guilt - etc - to which the psychological response is a lestening of the imune system, which then allows for illnesses to occur. Make sense?:)
Agreed sin does not cause illness but Guilt etc can (ie by the mind)

Terry

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
My grandfather believes illness is caused by demons. Once when my family passed around a bug for about a month he started making plans to walk around the house with the Bible seven times while reading it aloud to 'drive out the demons.' :eek:

Personally, I think it's the little microbes that cause sickness. They sure seem like demons when you're sick, though... :)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Jensa said:
My grandfather believes illness is caused by demons. Once when my family passed around a bug for about a month he started making plans to walk around the house with the Bible seven times while reading it aloud to 'drive out the demons.' :eek:

Personally, I think it's the little microbes that cause sickness. They sure seem like demons when you're sick, though... :)
Oh, your poor grandad........still, if it makes him happy..At least it got him reading the Bible!:D

Yes, and you should know all about illness - how is your back at the moment? - I often think of you; I really hope that the pain is decreasing..:)

Melody

EnhancedSpirit said:
Well, I believe this. But I am not an expert, I just have my theories. I believe all disease and illness are symptoms of a neglected or malnutritioned spirit. There are studies that lend some evidence to this.

The thing is that when you sin, which is a seperation from God, (God is love). Being seperate from love, usually leads to being filled with guilt, or fear, or anger, jealousy, etc. These emotions cause more stress, and all have negative effects on the body.
My in-laws are atheists. I'd say they're about as separated from God as you can get and they are the healthiest people I know.

Melody

michel said:
But it's not *sin* that causes illness. It is your mind causing the illness. Maybe we're splitting hairs, but when someone says sin is causing their illness, I start thinking of the time when they drilled holes in someone's head to let out the demons, or used leeches to remove the "bad" spirits in the blood.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Thank you for your kind thoughts, Michel. :) I'm completely off the prescription painkillers now and just taking extra-strength Tylenol or a couple of Motrin whenever I need it... which is less and less every day. :D

To make some attempt at staying on-topic, my grandpa probably believes that because he grew up in the rural south... the demons thing certainly isn't the strangest thing he believes. When my younger sisters had colic as babies he tried to talk my parents into putting alcohol into their bottle to cure it. :areyoucra

cardero

Citizen Mod
EnhancedSpirit said:

I would lean towards Enhanced Spirits' response without the term "sin". When an imbalance is caused to spirit the body goes into DISease and has to be realigned.

fromthe heart

Since I've seen some very great religious men of God come down with things that debilitate them I would say it has nothing to do with sin for most parts. Some illnesses can come from sin when we live outside what God wants us to. I'd say one of those are some of the sexually transmitted diseases...if we took more worth in the values of our life we have less to handle in illness. Some illness is just viral things that go around and all you have to do to get those is breathe the same air an infected person had just been by.:)

I'm as surprised as Melody is that anyone could believe such a thing in this day and age.

Although, it was a bit of a strange coincidence when I got leprosy shortly after renouncing my faith...hmm....

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Like it! - I think you guys are taking me too literally - I was merely saying that a bad conscience (guilt) will make you feel 'down' which will in turn lower your ability to fight disease, which in turn will make you more likely to fall foul of whatever virus is 'going around' (Which they are allways doing; most of the time though, we are strong enough to resist them).

The reason I say 'yes' at the beginning was that, from a certain perspective, it could Look as if sin causes illness - which of course it isn't, by a long string of steps that are all self generating, similar to..........:)

Original Freak

I am the ORIGINAL Freak
Of course I don't believe Sin causes sickness.
I do believe a strong belief in a cure can help one get better.
Some people can pray to get better...I'm gonna take my penicilin.

Fluffy

A fool
Sin is a relative term. It is how you feel about and respond to what you see as sin that can make you feel ill.

Having said that this would only account for a minor amount of illnesses and would by no means account for all of them.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I believe what ES said. Illness is from a neglected spirit. Also, neglected chakras can can many diseases.