• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is according to Jews everything God's will?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
But I explained in that post that messiah means anointed. What does that have to do with the linguistical difference between moshia and mashiach?
Sorry, it was a little joke because it was said that Jesus is a common name.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
OK, wasn't that what you were discussing? Sorry if I didn't follow. (Count me out <g> for a while)
@Skywalker made a claim about what the name "Jesus" means. I corrected him, based on the Hebrew.
Plus, a messiah is not always the same as savior, is it? But maybe it can be. What do you think?
Can a person anointed be a savior? Yes. King Shaul saved Yisrael several times. David saved Yisrael several times. Aharon the Kohen saved Yisrael with the incense. And so forth. But the discussion was about the meaning of the name "Jesus".

Skywalker

@Skywalker made a claim about what the name "Jesus" means. I corrected him, based on the Hebrew.

Can a person anointed be a savior? Yes. King Shaul saved Yisrael several times. David saved Yisrael several times. Aharon the Kohen saved Yisrael with the incense. And so forth. But the discussion was about the meaning of the name "Jesus".

King David, Saul, and Aaron were not the Messiah.

Skywalker

Yes! Saul! Thank you!

King Saul did not fulfill the messianic prophecies. Has the Messiah of the Old Testament Come?

Judah’s Sceptre
In his closing days on earth, Jacob uttered a number of prophecies regarding the future fortunes of his sons. Concerning Judah, he said. “The scepter shall not depart from Judah, nor the ruler’s staff from between his feet, until Shiloh come” (Genesis 49:10).

For many years it has been acknowledged both by Jewish and Christian writers that this passage refers to the Messiah (regardless of the differences in views over details, e.g., the precise meaning of “Shiloh”). Watson noted that “the ancient Jews are in this matter agreed with the Christians, in acknowledging that the word stands for the Messiah, the King” (Watson, 946). The text clearly indicates that, in some sense, the Jews would retain their sovereignty until the arrival of the Messiah, after which, at some point, that rule would be surrendered.

The historical facts are these. The substantial sovereignty of the nation never ceased until Herod Archelaus was removed from his position. Herod the Great’s wicked son, Archelaus, “reigned” over the Hebrews until he was deposed in A.D. 6 (cf. Matthew 2:22). The Jews henceforth were governed by the Romans through a series of procurators, one of whom was Pontius Pilate. It thus is clear that by the time the Romans took direct control over the Jews, the Hebrew “ruling” power (“scepter”) was completely and permanently gone (for further study see: McClintock, IX.681). “Shiloh” (Messiah) had come! His appearance is not awaiting the future.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
You were talking about if an annointed person can be a Savior.
You just capitalized the word again. Now go back and see what I wrote again, and you'll see that your previous comment is irrelevant to what I wrote.

Skywalker

You just capitalized the word again. Now go back and see what I wrote again, and you'll see that your previous comment is irrelevant to what I wrote.

An anointed person being a Savior has to do with the meaning of the name Jesus because the name of Jesus means salvation and Christ means anointed one.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
An anointed person being a Savior has to do with the meaning of the name Jesus because the name of Jesus means salvation and Christ means anointed one.
I'm pleased you've finally accepted that if Jesus is indeed derived from the name Yeshua, then the name simply means salvation. Kudos.
Your comment still has nothing to do with what I wrote.

Skywalker

I'm pleased you've finally accepted that if Jesus is indeed derived from the name Yeshua, then the name simply means salvation. Kudos.
Your comment still has nothing to do with what I wrote.

Just because they were anointed doesn't mean that they were saviors. The king of Tyre was called the anointed cherub but he isn't the Messiah.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Just because they were anointed doesn't mean that they were saviors. The king of Tyre was called the anointed cherub but he isn't the Messiah.
Once again, you keep flipping between capitalized and uncapitalized. This greatly ruins your positions.
Moreover, now, once again, you've demonstrated that you haven't read what I wrote, otherwise you'd know why I wrote Aharon was a savior, for example.
Do you understand that if you don't actually read what the other person's position is, and you decide in your mind what you think they wrote, and answer based on that, it means you're debating with yourself?

Skywalker

Once again, you keep flipping between capitalized and uncapitalized. This greatly ruins your positions.
Moreover, now, once again, you've demonstrated that you haven't read what I wrote, otherwise you'd know why I wrote Aharon was a savior, for example.
Do you understand that if you don't actually read what the other person's position is, and you decide in your mind what you think they wrote, and answer based on that, it means you're debating with yourself?

Aaron being anointed for the priesthood doesn't mean that he was the Messiah.

And thou shalt anoint Aaron and his sons, and consecrate them, that they may minister unto me in the priest's office. Exodus 30-:30

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Aaron being anointed for the priesthood doesn't mean that he was the Messiah.

And thou shalt anoint Aaron and his sons, and consecrate them, that they may minister unto me in the priest's office. Exodus 30-:30

Skywalker

You said

Aaron being the priest of Israel doesn't make him a savior.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
You said

Aaron being the priest of Israel doesn't make him a savior.
It's very nice that you know how to quote people, but that's not evidence you actually read what they said. Try again.

rosends

I just read through the entire Jewish canon and found no mention of a King of Tires. Wheels, maybe. Not tires.

rosends

He was anointed but that's different from saying that he was the anointed one.
really? Can you show me the difference in the text? Betcha can't. If you show me in the hebrew that there is a difference, I'll give you a shiny nickel. If you can't I get your first born child.

Deal?