• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Abortion Ethical?

The question is not "do you think abortion should be legal or illegal?" This has nothing to do with whether you are pro choice or pro life.

The question is, do you personally feel that abortion is ethical? Do you personally feel that abortion is a good thing, a bad thing, or a neutral thing? Why do you think this?

Based on what I've heard from the vast majority of pro choice people, I would think most of us will agree on whether or not we personally feel abortion is good or bad, ethical or unethical....

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The best I can say for abortion is that it is at times the lesser evil. Life doesn't always present us with a choice between good and evil, but much more often presents us with varying degrees of evil, or varying degrees of good.

Personally, I abhore abortion. But I would abhore even more than legalized abortion, the horrors that come with "back alley" illegal abortions. And I do not think that outlawing abortion will significantly reduce the demand for it.

Linus

I personally don't think it should be legalized because it is bad thing. I think it is bad to take an innocent life, especially that of human.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I think it depends. It can be ethical, it can also be unethical. There is no 'one answer fits all' for the issue of abortion.

Personally, I don't like it. I don't like the incredible overpopulation either, though, so anything to reduce the impact of humans on the earth gets a plus in my eyes.

linwood

From the few replies so far I think it`s easy to see why society can be so divided on this topic.
It seems many of us are divided within about it.

I think aborting a child is unethical.

I believe forcing a woman to give birth to a child is unethical.

What to do?

Lightkeeper

I don't think abortion is ethical. However, I do think people should have a right to choose. Nature aborts on it's own sometimes, but we don't think about ethics when a woman has a miscarriage.

Paraprakrti

Custom User
linwood said:
I think aborting a child is unethical.

I believe forcing a woman to give birth to a child is unethical.

I believe engaging in the sexual act with disregard to the possibility of pregnancy is unethical.

Paraprakrti

Custom User
Lightkeeper said:
I don't think abortion is ethical. However, I do think people should have a right to choose. Nature aborts on it's own sometimes, but we don't think about ethics when a woman has a miscarriage.

We also don't think about ethics when people just die. That's probably because ethics has to do with conscious action.

Having a right to choose is always there, whether or not there is a legalized facility for performing abortions.

Paraprakrti

Custom User
Jensa said:
I believe making assumptions about people's personal lives is unethical.

The only argument that could be made would be rape. But I am sure that if only rape victims were having abortions the abortion rate would significantly decrease.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
No, there are plenty of arguments that could be made. Broken condom, pill failure, tubes coming untied, vasectomy failing... there's lots that can go wrong even if you do plan in advance.

Paraprakrti

Custom User
No, this is called BAD PLANNING. Good planning means having sex at least with the acceptance that one could possibly get pregnant, even with contraceptives.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
There are women who are pressured into having unprotected sex by their boyfriends or spouses. Perhaps that's one cause of abortions that is often overlooked.

Paraprakrti

Custom User
"There are women who are pressured into having unprotected sex by their boyfriends or spouses. Perhaps that's one cause of abortions that is often overlooked."

Men and women need to be trained up on taking care of their responsibilities. But this topic always comes down to a women's rights issue. In that case, women's rights should also be women's responsibility.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
It's bad planning to not count on something with a success rate of 99% to fail?

And I don't agree that abortion is unethical. It can be ethical in some situations.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Paraprakrti said:
No, the topic of this thread is whether or not each of us thinks abortion is ethical. I think we all agree that it is unethical. But I was just addressing Jensa's reasoning.
Sorry about that, Paraprakrti. I caught my mistake and corrected it.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Jensa said:
And I don't agree that abortion is unethical. It can be ethical in some situations.
Such as when the mother's life is imperiled, would you say?

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Such as when the mother's life is imperiled, would you say?

That, or when a fetus isn't going to live long if at all after birth.

Obviously, yes if it is an issue.

Do you plan on being hit by a car when you drive, or getting hit by a meteorite every time you're above ground? That has a chance of happening, too.