• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is a Person's Religion Important to You?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
To me, a person's religious belief is the least significant thing about them.

I deal with numerous people. I have no idea what their beliefs are. Even if I did know, it would not affect how I deal with them. I see no need/reason to judge people according to their religion or change how I deal with them because of their beliefs.

If you found your co-worker was a Satanist or Jew or some belief you believe is wrong. Would it change your attitude towards them?

I just don't see a person's beliefs being relative to much. Maybe there is some extreme belief that promotes violence but I've never run into anyone like that.

At most, amoung friends, it is an interesting topic of conversation to me.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
It depends on how big a deal it is to the person in question: if they make a deal of it, then it' more important than if they keep it quiet. Not a positive or negative thing, unless they are pushy about what they believe and think it's okay to impose

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I love to hear people's thoughts on religion. Do I need to know? No. Would it change how I view them? Probably not, unless their views included violence or harm against others.

I admit I do find it harder to connect with people who feel their religious, or irreligious, views make them superior to others as well, but I think that's more of a glimpse of their personality than a reflection of the beliefs.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Not important to me at all, with one exception. Occasionally I've been in a position of advising someone interested in Hinduism, and to know their background is useful. Same thing with being a tutor. It's useful to know how much the person already knows. Other than that. actions speak FAR larger than words.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

I deal with numerous people. I have no idea what their beliefs are. Even if I did know, it would not affect how I deal with them. I see no need/reason to judge people according to their religion or change how I deal with them because of their beliefs.

If you found your co-worker was a Satanist or Jew or some belief you believe is wrong. Would it change your attitude towards them?

I just don't see a person's beliefs being relative to much. Maybe there is some extreme belief that promotes violence but I've never run into anyone like that.

Back in the day we employed artists from all over the world, we needed to know their religious beliefs to accommodate them. For example, part of the canteen was walled off so our Muslims could pray.

Other than that, it wasn't important, and still isn't until someone pushes their religion or attempts to mock my lack of religion.

Of course if someone wants to talk, then fine, its a good pastime and can be educational.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss

It depends entirely upon their behaviour concerning their beliefs.
Most people I come into contact with IRL do not reveal their beliefs to me.
Now I to them.

I hold the thought that it matters not what you are, claim you are, what you believe, who you worship, what gender you do or do not claim, race, color, ethnicallity, political affiliation, sexual preference, etc.
It is about how you treat me and mine.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I can't think of anything that's more important about a human person than their religion.

That said, the way "religion" is understood in my culture means that what humans declare their religion to be often isn't what their religion actually is. I understand religion to be one's way of life - it is about stories, behavior, values, and community. It touches everything, and is like a central axis that orients a person. So yeah, there's nothing more important to know about a person than the core of who they are and what they do.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Wait until you run across a Pentecostal snake handler, you may have second thoughts...just sayin'.

Mindmaster

Premium Member

Dunno, some of them try to recruit people heavily... I guess that part would annoy me, lol.

While I don't judge people on that basis and have met many of all walks that are great people I seldom have the same courtesy extended in my direction. But, I don't view that as my malfunction, only theirs. I've lost several friends on the basis of my occult meanderings which are considered 'evil' acts to most mainstream religions.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Of course the corollary might be worth considering. Do you think what religion you are should be important to others?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Wait until you run across a Pentecostal snake handler, you may have second thoughts...just sayin'.

Come on. This guy looks like a nice chap, right?

141e08ed581ee2108338202fca0e71f7.jpg

As long as they are not trying to put a snake in my hand.

It's their proof of God. My fear is proof of my denial of God. I can accept that.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Of course the corollary might be worth considering. Do you think what religion you are should be important to others?

For me, no, but it's not my decision. In truth, I don't tell people I am an atheist because I suspect they would treat me differently.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

I think everyone should becfree to believe in what religion that touch their heart the most, but i do find it more easy to speak with people who do have faith in a religion. They tend to attract my interest a lot more then those who have no religious or spiritual belief at all.

MNoBody

open-mindedness, spirit of collaboration, inquisitive, amicably curious minds are always eminently enjoyable
what the belief package may be that manifested such stable personality is really of lesser interest than the output of such a work

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Dunno, some of them try to recruit people heavily... I guess that part would annoy me, lol.

While I don't judge people on that basis and have met many of all walks that are great people I seldom have the same courtesy extended in my direction. But, I don't view that as my malfunction, only theirs. I've lost several friends on the basis of my occult meanderings which are considered 'evil' acts to most mainstream religions.

That sucks. Losing friends I mean.

While it doesn't seem to matter to a number of people on the forums, I think it does matter to many of the people you meet.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Sometimes it's helpful to know someone's religion. When I was in a group with 7x24 pager duty, I would swap with a Christian who really wanted to go to church services Sunday morning for a time when I wanted to be free of the pager. It worked great.

Other than that and the accommodation noted earlier, I don't care.