• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is a person a Christian if...

Would a person be considered a Christian if they wanted to follow Christ's teachings, but didn't exactly view him as God, but rather a prophet or messenger of God? Because technically they would be following Christ's path, just not believing that he himself was God or part of a trinity.

CogentPhilosopher

Philosophy Student
Would a person be considered a Christian if they wanted to follow Christ's teachings, but didn't exactly view him as God, but rather a prophet or messenger of God? Because technically they would be following Christ's path, just not believing that he himself was God or part of a trinity.

Many early Yeshua based religions did this.

But the term Christian typically refers to those who accept the rulings of the Council of Nicaea.

Kemosloby

Premium Member

Son of God. They say you have to say Jesus is the Son of God. Does that make him God? Well that's debateable since God the Father is not Jesus.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Many early Yeshua based religions did this.

But the term Christian typically refers to those who accept the rulings of the Council of Nicaea.
Those are Catholics who accept the council of Nicaea...not Christians. Christians are those who accept the Gospel of Jesus.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Yeah it's just a coincidence that you only believe in the doctorines and books put forth by that council.

Also Catholics are a type of Christian.

Most productive meeting in world history if they wrote the whole bible there. nah, They just tainted the scriptures a little at the council, confusing certain things like the Trinity.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Yeah it's just a coincidence that you only believe in the doctorines and books put forth by that council.

Also Catholics are a type of Christian.

I guess they wrote the line "Call no one on earth Father" One is your Father in heaven. Then they elected a pope and called him Holy Father, and all his minions they called father.?

Matt 23:9 And do not call anyone on earth 'father,' for you have one Father, and he is in heaven.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member

That's pretty much my belief. And I would call myself a Christian because I follow Jesus' teachings, he never claimed to be God, only much lesser men claimed that.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
I guess they wrote the line "Call no one on earth Father" One is your Father in heaven. Then they elected a pope and called him Holy Father, and all his minions they called father.?

Matt 23:9 And do not call anyone on earth 'father,' for you have one Father, and he is in heaven.
You know that Peter was the first Pope, right? The Biblical Peter?

RESOLUTION

Does God say:- " Jesus is to be called God or the Son of God?"

Luke 1:32-35.
32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:

33 And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.

34 Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man?

35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

4 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

Jesus is the Son of God and Jesus has revealed God to us.

A lot of people do not study what the disciples actually wrote correctly. The LORD is one God.
He is not many like the worship of Baal which was many gods mainly the male forces nature.
According to the word of God and teachings of the disciples Jesus Christ is a Holy Thing and is to be called the Son of God.

55 But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God,

56 And said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God.

How can Jesus, if he is God, be stood on the right hand of God?
Jesus was the exact representation of all God is. Except unlike God, the power Jesus had came from God, for God was with him.
Peter said: "38 How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him."

Jesus summing up the whole law and teachings of the Prophets was taught with an added message, " If, you love me, you will keep my commandments".

The first commandment was to 'Love the LORD thy God with all thine heart' and in doing so Jesus is showing that he kept the commandments and served only God.

With Christ we know following him means doing as he did. He worshipped only the truth God as his temptation shows.
He was fully human but had the nature of God and did not sin. According to the bible we see Jesus never made himself out to be God. He clearly teaches he came to do his Fathers will and not his own will. So his will was to do the WILL of God. Hope it helps when answering the question from the biblical prospective.

outlawState

Deism is dead
I would call myself a Christian .....Jesus (pbuh).
pbuh is an inapposite qualifier to Jesus if you are a Christian, because Jesus was one with the Father so that the Father's peace is upon him by definition of your belief.

"pbuh" is used by muslims of Jesus only to denote their apostasy from belief in his being the begotten son of God i.e. it's backhanded complement that says, I respect you, but I don't believe in you.

meghanwaterlillies

After a run in with necromancers preforming things on living people. I Just say Jesus is not dead and didn't die at all and Jesus is God.
The reason being is that they do it on fathers even those they burned. Even those still living to hurt them.

meghanwaterlillies

And when they do it to someone they aren't right because I seen it as they would let me not be normal and they wanted to view people as Jesus so they had something to mess with on other people, whether it forward and backwards ideas of racism on them, whether its pan where they want in to do it, where they imposter a two king's david using old, abuse, physical and mental, where they make art that that never healed.

Last edited:

rusra02

Premium Member
I believe that to be a true Christian, you must exercise faith in Jesus and follow his teachings. Jesus said; "Not everyone saying to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the Kingdom of the heavens, but only the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will. Many will say to me in that day: ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works in your name?’ And then I will declare to them: ‘I never knew you! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness."
(Matthew 7:21-23) Then Jesus contrasted those who simply hear his words, and those who do what he commands. (Vs 24-27)
BTW, Jesus never claimed to be part of a trinity, or to be almighty God. (John 17:3)

CogentPhilosopher

Philosophy Student
Most productive meeting in world history if they wrote the whole bible there. nah, They just tainted the scriptures a little at the council, confusing certain things like the Trinity.

So you obviously believe in all of the holy books that they rejected right?

I didn't say that they wrote the Bible.

They simply chose the books that got in.

BTW if you followed that scripture then you would not even call your father father.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

everyone is a god; so the path isn't outward but inward and then outward.

every person is a hologram of the holographic universe.

i like rumi's take on it best.

you are not just a drop in the ocean but a whole ocean in a drop.