• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is a New World being born?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Is a new world being being born amidst the chaos of present day civilisation?

Are we experiencing the death pangs of the old world and the birth pangs of the new one?

Progressive ideas such as equality between men and women, multiculturalism, interfaith and world solidarity have been quietly advancing amidst cries to go back to our past of religious animosity, racial hatreds and unbridled nationalism but is not the interconnectedness that we have now established between nations and cultures a sign not of impending doom but a sign of maturity that at long last humanity is beginning to acknowledge its oneness?

Do you believe a new civilisation of peace and human rights is dawning upon us or that humanity is on the verge of self destruction and extinction? Are the new world ideas or old traditional divisive ways winning this gigantic struggle to enter into a new future or drag us back to our barbaric past?

Is there hope or are we doomed?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
It's good to think about, but it really depends on which nation ends up conquering which nation, etc. In the short run, at least.

I consider the biggest hurdle in the quest to peace to be the invention of nuclear weapons.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

Are we experiencing the death pangs of the old world and the birth pangs of the new one?

Progressive ideas such as equality between men and women, multiculturalism, interfaith and world solidarity have been quietly advancing amidst cries to go back to our past of religious animosity, racial hatreds and unbridled nationalism but is not the interconnectedness that we have now established between nations and cultures a sign not of impending doom but a sign of maturity that at long last humanity is beginning to acknowledge its oneness?

Do you believe a new civilisation of peace and human rights is dawning upon us or that humanity is on the verge of self destruction and extinction? Are the new world ideas or old traditional divisive ways winning this gigantic struggle to enter into a new future or drag us back to our barbaric past?

Of course I am a little biased because of my religion :D but I think the old world order is falling down and a new world order is rising in its stead. These are simultaneous processes. We can see intimations of the new world order but the old world order still predominates. Hopefully people of all religions and nonbelievers can work together to build the Kingdom of God on earth.

“This is the Day in which God’s most excellent favors have been poured out upon men, the Day in which His most mighty grace hath been infused into all created things. It is incumbent upon all the peoples of the world to reconcile their differences, and, with perfect unity and peace, abide beneath the shadow of the Tree of His care and loving-kindness. It behoveth them to cleave to whatsoever will, in this Day, be conducive to the exaltation of their stations, and to the promotion of their best interests. Happy are those whom the all-glorious Pen was moved to remember, and blessed are those men whose names, by virtue of Our inscrutable decree, We have preferred to conceal.

Beseech ye the one true God to grant that all men may be graciously assisted to fulfil that which is acceptable in Our sight. Soon will the present-day order be rolled up, and a new one spread out in its stead. Verily, thy Lord speaketh the truth, and is the Knower of things unseen.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 6-7

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

It depends on what you mean by New World. The creation of THIS WORLD is ongoing. In fact, we ourselves contribute to its creation as hands that God uses as his tools. Thus we "repair the world" (tikkun olam) as many Jews say. We bring a little heaven to this world right here right now as we strive for justice, mercy, truth, love, equality, an end to oppression and poverty and sickness... Even when we fight for the goodness of the animals and plants of creation.

This, however, is not to be confused with Olam Haba, the world to come. That world will be brought into being by Hashem, not us. In that world, nation shall not rise up against nation, the wolf will lie down with the lamb, morality will be written on each man's heart, and everyone will automatically know God. That indicates a radical change in human nature, a leap in our evolution that isn't going to happen naturally.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

For one who believes in God and the promise of peace on earth clearly recorded in the sacred texts, there is always hope.

Profound social changes for most of the world inhabitants over the last two centuries are undeniable. There can be no turning back the clock. :)

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
It depends on what you mean by New World. The creation of THIS WORLD is ongoing. In fact, we ourselves contribute to its creation as hands that God uses as his tools. Thus we "repair the world" (tikkun olam) as many Jews say. We bring a little heaven to this world right here right now as we strive for justice, mercy, truth, love, equality, an end to oppression and poverty and sickness... Even when we fight for the goodness of the animals and plants of creation.

This, however, is not to be confused with Olam Haba, the world to come. That world will be brought into being by Hashem, not us. In that world, nation shall not rise up against nation, the wolf will lie down with the lamb, morality will be written on each man's heart, and everyone will automatically know God. That indicates a radical change in human nature, a leap in our evolution that isn't going to happen naturally.

When we speak about the wolf and the lamb lying down together aren’t we speaking about an end to hostility between the different religions, races and nationalities?

Is it a process or a sudden event? Processes towards the wolf and lamb lying down together can be clearly witnessed everywhere in such things as the growth of interfaith, multiculturalism, world solidarity, the coming together of nations in the UN and the continual interconnectedness in the financial world,

if these are not signs of the wolf and lamb beginning to reconcile then what is? That differences will be reconciled, which is happening now, is a proof that the Messiah has already appeared as opposed to a magical event where a magic wand will be waved and we don’t have to lift a finger to establish peace?

So humanity doesn’t have to till the soil or have sweat on our brow, just wait and the Messiah will do everything? To me that sounds very far fetched as God has always sent His Prophets but then left it up to us to choose to follow their Path or not. Why should the coming of the Messiah be any different? Signs are He has come and most have chosen not to follow Him.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

I believe so. And there are web sites which are tracking this. https://www.vox.com/2014/11/24/7272929/global-poverty-health-crime-literacy-good-news and These 9 Amazing Graphs Reveal How Life Is Actually Getting Better For Billions of People just to cite two web sites.

I accept this as true. And I'd extend this. For example this Wikipedia article notes that Kalki, Messiah, Maitreya are related while being very different in the details.

Kalki, ...end the Kali Yuga, one of the four periods in the endless cycle of existence (krita) in Vaishnavism cosmology. He is described in the Puranas as the avatar who rejuvenates existence by ending the darkest and destructive period to remove adharma and ushering in the Satya Yuga, while riding a white horse with a fiery sword.[7] ...His mythology has been compared to the concepts of Messiah, Apocalypse, Frashokereti and Maitreya in other religions.[7][8]

Islam has a similar conception: In Islamic eschatology, Jesus returns in a Second Coming to fight the Al-Masih ad-Dajjal or "False Messiah" and establish peace on earth.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
People typically respond "but what about" some evil people and actions. Part of our problem is that the media feeds on darkness "if it bleeds, it leads" to sell advertising. Stirring up negative emotions is evident on both left and right in some but not all media outlets.

There is another way to look at what appears to be in such evidence today. I've posted this before but it fits here:

Energies.jpg

IndigoChild5559

When we speak about the wolf and the lamb lying down together aren’t we speaking about an end to hostility between the different religions, races and nationalities?

Is it a process or a sudden event? Processes towards the wolf and lamb lying down together can be clearly witnessed everywhere in such things as the growth of interfaith, multiculturalism, world solidarity, the coming together of nations in the UN and the continual interconnectedness in the financial world,

if these are not signs of the wolf and lamb beginning to reconcile then what is? That differences will be reconciled, which is happening now, is a proof that the Messiah has already appeared as opposed to a magical event where a magic wand will be waved and we don’t have to lift a finger to establish peace?

So humanity doesn’t have to till the soil or have sweat on our brow, just wait and the Messiah will do everything? To me that sounds very far fetched as God has always sent His Prophets but then left it up to us to choose to follow their Path or not. Why should the coming of the Messiah be any different? Signs are He has come and most have chosen not to follow Him.
A lot of it is how literally v. figuratively you take it. Some take the wolf lying down with the lamb as a metaphor for world peace. Others see it as a description as a complete revamp of nature, so that life no longer preys on life in general.

We see small advances towards peace, but not through the UN or anything like that. Rather it is simply a shift in the consciousness of modern democracies that it is to our greater advantage in business to facilitate trade, and trade works better if we are not making war.

The fact that we are still having racial crimes, synagogue burnings, church bombings, rapes and assaults, the sex trade and child molestation, various forms of murder including serial killing, persecution of people for stupid reasons such gender, etc. etc. etc. We are no where near the world to come. I would say that we can't possibly entertain the notion of the world to come until the very nature of human beings has changed. And THAT, I think, needs divine intervention.

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
So humanity doesn’t have to till the soil or have sweat on our brow, just wait and the Messiah will do everything?

In my belief, we are invited to participate in this process. If you believe that God's love has started to flood the world, then a natural response is to act in such a way to aid that process.

Aurobindo saw that there would be pioneers of the new humanity:

I saw the Omnipotent's flaming pioneers
Over the heavenly verge which turns towards life
Come crowding down the amber stairs of birth;
Forerunners of a divine multitude,
Out of the paths of the morning star they came
Into the little room of mortal life.
I saw them cross the twilight of an age,
The sun-eyed children of a marvelous dawn,
The great creators with wide brows of calm,
The massive barrier-breakers of the world
And wrestlers with destiny in her lists of will,
The laborers in the quarries of the gods,
The messengers of the Incommunicable,
The architects of immortality.
Into the fallen human sphere they came,
Faces that wore the Immortal's glory still,
Voices that communed still with the thoughts of God,
Bodies made beautiful by the spirit's light,
Carrying the magic word, the mystic fire,
Carrying the Dionysian cup of joy,
Approaching eyes of a diviner man,
Lips chanting an unknown anthem of the soul,
Feet echoing in the corridors of Time.
High priests of wisdom, sweetness, might and bliss,
Discoverers of beauty's sunlit ways
And swimmers of Love's laughing fiery floods
And dancers within rapture's golden doors,
Their tread one day shall change the suffering earth
And justify the light on Nature's face.

IndigoChild5559

I fully agree that time is short and maybe some of the consequences irreversible but I have faith in humanity that we will come together and eventually overcome these problems.
Necessity is the mother of invention. We will leave it to the last minute. When it becomes a crisis, you'll see how quickly we'll find a solution.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I would say that we can't possibly entertain the notion of the world to come until the very nature of human beings has changed. And THAT, I think, needs divine intervention.
I see it as not in the future but happening now. In late winter, there are days when the hint of spring can be felt. The signs are erratic and subtle but they are there. Such is the world to me. The signs are subtle but do exist that divine intervention is ending winter and bringing spring - not in an immediate and Hollywood dramatic way but naturally as winter gives way to spring.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
I fully agree that time is short and maybe some of the consequences irreversible but I have faith in humanity that we will come together and eventually overcome these problems.
I understand.

I believe what Revelation 11:18 says, that God will “bring to ruin those ruining the Earth.”

Take care, my cousin.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That world will be brought into being by Hashem, not us. In that world, nation shall not rise up against nation, the wolf will lie down with the lamb, morality will be written on each man's heart, and everyone will automatically know God. That indicates a radical change in human nature, a leap in our evolution that isn't going to happen naturally.

I see that is happening, depends how one looks at it. I see it is part of the new world that is unfolding as we speak.

It's hard to be as positive as we need to be about this, as when one tries to show how it is happening, with truthful positive statements, warnings appear on one's profile. I hoped on RF, one could be positive, I would Imagine if we could, a different world may happen more quickly.

Yes it does take great change.

Regards Tony