• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is a Hemispherectomy murder?

Beyondo

A critical thick fiber tissue called the corpse collosum that links the two hemispheres of the brain, if severed causes the phenomena of "Split Brain". When the right and left sides of the brain can not communicate they act independantly. If you ask one side of the brian a question it will answer differently than the other! A hemispherectomy is a procedure that removes one of the hemispheres of the brian. Now considering that each half can act on its own. If each side of the brian were asked if it was willing to die for the other how do you think each side would answer?

Even if both sides were not willing to die, removing one side is indeed killing a whole self....:slap:

Beyondo

A critical thick fiber tissue called the corpse collosum that links the two hemispheres of the brain, if severed causes the phenomena of "Split Brain". When the right and left sides of the brain can not communicate they act independantly. If you ask one side of the brian a question it will answer differently than the other! A hemispherectomy is a procedure that removes one of the hemispheres of the brian. Now considering that each half can act on its own. If each side of the brian were asked if it was willing to die for the other how do you think each side would answer?

Even if both sides were not willing to die, removing one side is indeed killing a whole self....:slap:

Its actually called the corpus callosum. :rainbow1:

MSizer

MSizer
It certainly does not meet the definition of murder, but I believe it illustrates how our traditional understanding of conciousness is mistaken (like other things, such as justice and culpability IMO). It is hammering proof IMO that the whole idea of the soul and theology based on the idea is false.

Dunemeister

It certainly does not meet the definition of murder, but I believe it illustrates how our traditional understanding of conciousness is mistaken (like other things, such as justice and culpability IMO). It is hammering proof IMO that the whole idea of the soul and theology based on the idea is false.

... or that you have mistaken ideas about what the soul is and does.

A hemispherectomy is done when one side of the brain is damaged and is imparing the persons ability to function. The healthy brain has already taken over most of the functions of the damaged side. The body's ability to adapt is pretty amazing but I don't get what metaphysical relevence this could have. :shrug:

Beyondo

A hemispherectomy is done when one side of the brain is damaged and is imparing the persons ability to function. The healthy brain has already taken over most of the functions of the damaged side. The body's ability to adapt is pretty amazing but I don't get what metaphysical relevence this could have. :shrug:

Not necessarily; a hemispherectomy maybe warranted if there are problems with the corpus callosum. In which case the surgeon picks the side that will cause the least handicap for recovery. In most cases the left is preserved because that's where language resides in most individuals.

The metaphysical issues are if the corpus callosum is severed then the two hemisphere's act as two people. In fact each side can exist without the other and is the reason for hemispherectomy. So the question still stands: given that either side is healthy and if each side is asked, obviously once the corpus callosum is severed, if it is willing to die, how would they answer?

You could argue that if the corpus callosum is not severed then there is no duality and a self is not killed. But that's not the fun scenario...:frog:

Dunemeister

OK, well once someone finds a shred of evidence for the existence of the soul you can bring it to the table and we'll discuss it then.

The "shred" I have is the sense it makes of the Christian doctrine of resurrection. I realize that won't count for you, but it's enough for me.