• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is a Head Transplant Ethical?

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
If you were going to believe that anyone had completed the first-ever human head transplant, it would be Sergio Canavero.

The Italian neurosurgeon gives off a mad-scientist vibe that fits well with what you might expect from a guy looking to connect the the spine, nerves and blood vessels of two living people – thus making us immortal.

“For too long nature has dictated her rules to us,” Canavero said in a press conference earlier this week, in which he claimed to have successfully completed a human head transplant on a corpse.

“We’re born, we grow, we age and we die. For millions of years humans has evolved and 100 billion humans have died. That’s genocide on a mass scale. We have entered an age where we will take our destiny back in our hands. It will change everything. It will change you at every level,” Canavero said, according to Newsweek.
He says he’s transplanted a corpse head. But who wants to be his first living test?

Do you think this is ethical? Why or why not?

Would God approve of something like this, if it could be done safely?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
First I ran across this article that says the transplant doesn't really succeed, because the spinal cord is not attached and the heads do not regain consciousness. He's merely connected the pulmonary systems together and announced that it is a 'Success'. Its actually a huge disappointment.

No, there hasn’t been a human 'head transplant', and there may never be

Its disgusting and frightening, but knowing how to do it is not unethical. It is Ok provided you're not killing someone.

Here's the thing though -- even if you could do it, the brain would still age, lose plasticity and go insane. I think a head-transplant it might add 50 sleepy years, but brains are not set up to learn continually for that long. Brains are like systems of rivers and streams which at first are shallow and spread everywhere but gradually cut deep grooves and stay in narrow channels. They become rigid over time, and the energy provided by the basal ganglia flows right through the heavily used channels and is not easily pumped into the many unused neurons. Thinking the same thoughts and doing old actions becomes easier and easier at a cost. Thus we do not use most of our neurons, because the more we think the easier it becomes to think about and do the same things we have already thought and done and the harder it is to think about new things and to learn new actions. Eventually learning something new takes a lot more effort whereas in childhood it is effortless. You can't transplant that.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
The fellow involved seems to be little more than a self-promoting fruitcake.

Them's be fightin' words! :mad: Got something against fruitcake? I loves me some frootkake!

15-deluxe-fruitcake.jpg

Seriously...

Ethical? Maybe not unethical but definitely "eeeeewwww!!!"

Humanity has done worse with nary a peep from God.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm not sure if there is way to approach the ethical/moral position of this without running circles. We can assume the head getting transplanted gave full consent, but then we have the issue of the donor body. I suppose that person could give consent, however, it brings into question should we consider the feelings of the family of the donor body in such a position? After all, a post-cadavered (? :confused:) body is different than cadaver tissue from kidney or cartilage. And if we do get to the point of being able to do a head transplant, we will probably have come a very long way in medicine, making it very difficult to find a suitable donor body, harder than it would be today since most of those who die with a body you'd want died from an accident or terminal illness that did extensive damage to internal organs. Practically and ethically, it sounds complicated to say the least.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
He says he’s transplanted a corpse head. But who wants to be his first living test?

I carry a donor card giving my concent for any part of my body to be used after i die. My kidneys, liver, heart, lungs etc could save/prolong a few lives. I see no reason my head shouldn't be used if the tech is there to do the job properly.

What has ethics to do with it? its a matter of concent

When someone shows gods existance then you can ask people his/her/its thoughts.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I carry a donor card giving my concent for any part of my body to be used after i die. My kidneys, liver, heart, lungs etc could save/prolong a few lives. I see no reason my head shouldn't be used if the tech is there to do the job properly.

What has ethics to do with it? its a matter of concent

When someone shows gods existance then you can ask people his/her/its thoughts.
After a decade long battle with a lung transplant recipient I finally removed the donor status from my paperwork.
I don't want any part of my body potentially keeping another waste of flesh breathing.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
If anyone didn't catch it, this is the patient:

36D61D8700000578-0-image-a-7_1470237513204.jpg

Today, the 31-year-old is wheelchair reliant due to a muscle-wasting disease, announced his neurosurgeon would explain how the plan was progressing in September.

Mr Spiridonov says he is ready to put his trust in controversial surgeon Dr Sergio Canavero who claims he can cut off his head and attach it to a healthy body.

Neither the exact date or location have been chosen yet, but the world first procedure is aimed to take place in December 2017.

Read more: Valery Spiridonov set to undergo the world's first human head transplant | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Valery Spiridonov set to undergo the world's first human head transplant | Daily Mail Online

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
If God objects, she will say so.
It seems from this post that you've converted, but you just don't want to admit it. And here we are wondering if a head transplant is ethical! I'm kidding in case you couldn't tell.

Every person undergoes a head change every day.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
After a decade long battle with a lung transplant recipient I finally removed the donor status from my paperwork.
I don't want any part of my body potentially keeping another waste of flesh breathing.

For one idiot?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It seems from this post that you've converted, but you just don't want to admit it. And here we are wondering if a head transplant is ethical! I'm kidding in case you couldn't tell.

Every person undergoes a head change every day.
I know jesting when I see it.