• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is a formal unbaptism required when one leaves Christianity?

Is an unbaptism ceremony necessary for baptized Christians, when they leave the religion?

• Yes, unbaptism is necessary for baptized christians when they leave the religion

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Hi,

As some of you may know already, I'm not baptized. However, I believe that Baptism is part of the Christian religion, and when one leaves, if baptized, a formal unbaptism is required to basically 'leave the religion'. Now, although there are arguments for and against baptism necessity, I do believe that a Christian would or should strive to be baptized, any other arguments aside, and that the baptism does have an affect, albeit debateable what manner of affect.

Another vote option is optimal, but not necessary.

Ideas, comments, arguments..

Last edited:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Unbaptism? Is that where they just full on drown you?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Hi,

As some of you may know already, I'm not baptized. However, I believe that Baptism is part of the Christian religion, and when one leaves, if baptized, a formal unbaptism is required to basically 'leave the religion'. Now, although there are arguments for and against baptism necessity, I do believe that a Christian would or should strive to be baptized, any other arguments aside, and that the baptism does have an affect, albeit debateable what manner of affect.

In catholicism, you cant unbaptize yourself. You can stop taking the sacraments which are based on baptism. There is formal paperwork to excummunicate yourself from The Church (its sacraments).

As for other denominations, a lot of protestants are more baptism is based on your belief rather than the other way around. So you can be baptized many times and fall from the church and be "considered" not baptized in that particular church. Most likely Catholic (roman and othorodox), lutheran, and couple others have one baptized always baptized. I dont know if the rest have excuminication "laws."

Varies by denomination

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
In catholicism, you cant unbaptize yourself. You can stop taking the sacraments which are based on baptism. There is formal paperwork to excummunicate yourself from The Church (its sacraments).

As for other denominations, a lot of protestants are more baptism is based on your belief rather than the other way around. So you can be baptized many times and fall from the church and be "considered" not baptized in that particular church. Most likely Catholic (roman and othorodox), lutheran, and couple others have one baptized always baptized. I dont know if the rest have excuminication "laws."

Varies by denomination
Thanks for the contribution.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think perhaps ritually, it should entail the taking off of all of one's clothing and rolling around naked in some mud, to signify becoming "unclean"?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I was baptized, and in my youth wanted it 'undone', since there were basically a bunch of promises made of my behalf which were at best misguided (and in some cases outright lies).
In any case, as I got older, that desire left me. I personally don't think baptism has any 'power' apart from the power of the promises made and kept, so why would I give it a second thought?
Instead, it would be more important to me to talk to those who'd vowed to raise me in the Church and keep me safe from Satan. If the promises were meaningful to them, that is. So often, they seem not to be, which strikes me as bizarre, frankly.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
If you feel you need to be "unbaptised", then go for it. Otherwise, I can't see any reason for it.

David T

Premium Member
Unbaptism? Is that where they just full on drown you?
Oh please, that's horrid logic. they shoot you with water repellent.

RX_620036-Plastic-Treat-12oz_100-605x1024.png

Jumi

You're taking this example out of history? These days people don't see baptism as that important. You would have to believe the baptism was magical to feel you need to wash it off.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Is a formal unbaptism required when one leaves Christianity?
Hi,

What purpose will it serve, please?
Regards

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
You're taking this example out of history? These days people don't see baptism as that important. You would have to believe the baptism was magical to feel you need to wash it off.

When one undergoes Christian baptism it is important to understand why it is a requirement in the first place. What does it mean? What is baptism and who can be baptized? Is it a complete immersion or just a sprinkling of water? What is required of a person afterwards?

The baptism that Jews undertook in Jesus' day was a first for them. They were born into a dedicated nation and did not require baptism into the faith. John the Baptist began the process as a means for repentant Jews to publicly demonstrate, by undergoing complete water immersion, that they had repented of their past sins and were ready to accept and follow their coming Messiah.

When Jesus came to the Jordan River to be baptized, John declined because he knew that Jesus had no sins from which to repent, but Jesus told him that this one time, was OK because Jesus' baptism represented something else. His immersion under the water was a symbolic "death" to his former life and being raised up to a new life of dedicated service to God in a new capacity. From that day onward until his death, Jesus lived the selfless life of a humble teacher. Jesus' followers were required to undergo John's baptism in preparation for accepting Jesus as Messiah...and once they had accepted him, they had to undergo another baptism "in Jesus name" to become "Christians".

When Gentiles came into the Christian arrangement, they did not have to undergo John's baptism because they were not under Jewish law, but were baptized as followers of Jesus Christ.

Baptism is a public demonstration of one's commitment to living a Christian life based on the teachings of Jesus as God's representative on earth.
It is similar to the vow taken in marriage, before witnesses, not to be entered into lightly and understanding what it means to take a vow of that seriousness and then treat it with contempt.

If one has undergone baptism under false pretenses then God would not have viewed it as valid to start with.
To be baptized as a follower of Jesus Christ requires commitment because it was not going to be an easy course. (John 15:18-21; Matthew 7:13-14) Genuine love of God and appreciation for the sacrifice made by his son on our behalf, is a vital part of our dedication.

To turn your back on that dedication and turn to living a life alienated from Christ will bring severe retribution from God.

Ecclesiastes 5:4-6..."When you vow a vow to God, do not delay paying it, for he has no pleasure in fools. Pay what you vow. 5 It is better that you should not vow than that you should vow and not pay. 6 Let not your mouth lead you into sin, and do not say before the messenger that it was a mistake. Why should God be angry at your voice and destroy the work of your hands?" (ESV)

Defectors and rebels have no future in God's plans.

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
There is formal paperwork to excummunicate yourself from The Church (its sacraments).
If you're talking about tuat paperwork to take yourself off the rolls and stop being officially counted as Catholic, they took that possibility away a while ago. Unless you do certain things to be excommunicated, you'll just be considered a lapsed Catholic and an apostate at worst. As you said, you can't take back a Sacrament. Those are forever.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If you're talking about tuat paperwork to take yourself off the rolls and stop being officially counted as Catholic, they took that possibility away a while ago. Unless you do certain things to be excommunicated, you'll just be considered a lapsed Catholic and an apostate at worst. As you said, you can't take back a Sacrament. Those are forever.

Shrugs. I still consider myself catholic because I was baptized in the Church and took the sacraments. (Their rules not mine) A catholic will always be catholic after baptized. Whether they stay is a personal decision. From the former catholics point of view, they can consided themselves non catholic. If from The Church point of view/by baptism, once catholic always catholic.

People go back to RCIA if they havent been awhile to rejoin and take the sacraments. I think its personal decision and matter of formalities. Its optional and no nessesary depending on denomni' and how that former christian sees the christian faith and ethics.

Jumi

The only purpose of "unbaptism" would be to try to evade the punishment of God. However there is no escape
It was a long time ago when the pagans tried unbaptism. Because they didn't want the baptism in the first place and felt their life became miserable afterwards. Only the priest would have read the Bible, so they surely weren't trying to evade punishment of God. They didn't even know what Christian faith or God was.