• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Irukandji Jellyfish Australia most Deadly

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This little Jellyfish is very very deadly. It is very small, and when stung it leaves no marks on the body.

It has eyes and can see, but no brain?

Many tourists, and maybe even some Australians swimming in Australian northern waters, do not even know about it.

download (5).jpeg

It about time more people swimming in Australian northern waters actually know about it.

I was lucky, I never brushed with it and I spent many hours in the sea on the great barrier reef.

I had a friend that was stung and he said there is no greater pain, but also no greater feeling of doom as well, he survived, just.

Regards Tony

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I was once stung on the cheek and ear by a Portuguese msn of war. That was very painful but not life threatening.

danieldemol

Premium Member
For those who can't be bothered watching the clip;

'The Irukandji jellyfish (/ɪrəˈkændʒi/ irr-ə-KAN-jee) are any of several similar, extremely venomous species of box jellyfish. With a very small adult size of about a cubic centimetre (1 cm3), they are both the smallest and one of the most venomous jellyfish in the world. They inhabit the northern marine waters of Australia. They are able to fire their stingers into their victim, causing a condition known as Irukandji syndrome, which can be fatal.'

Source: Irukandji jellyfish - Wikipedia

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
Down south we have blue bottle jellyfish, not deadly but extremely painful. And not really a jellyfish but a collection of organisms living in a colony.

bb.jpg

Audie

Veteran Member
I was once stung on the cheek and ear by a Portuguese msn of war. That was very painful but not life threatening.

Got a few inches on my lower leg in the Gulf of Mexico.

Very odd sensation, like a deep painful
ache travelling slowly upward. I could have
pointed to the line as it moved.

When it reached stomach i was doubled over lying in the sand.

Thought...i could die this way.

Then, in a few minutes- gone, just like that.

More interesting than fun.
Not reccomended.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Glad that was so. The box Jellyfish we get in North qld is another real bad one, the the crocodile, welcome to Sunny North Qld ha ha.

I have heard of the pain of this sting from a friend, they said it was next level pain. If you are able to watch the video, look how the lady was reacting, you could see she could not escape the pain.

I have had catfish and cobbler spikes, they are a red hot poker pain.

Regards Tony

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Down south we have blue bottle jellyfish, not deadly but extremely painful. And not really a jellyfish but a collection of organisms living in a colony.

View attachment 62751
My first thought was "Man, that looks a lot like a Portuguese Man of War". So I Google searched the name and came up with this:

Bluebottle jellyfish

dentification
The Bluebottle or Pacific Man-of-War is not a single animal but a colony of four kinds of highly modified individuals (zooids). The zooids are dependent on one another for survival.

The float (pneumatophore) is a single individual and supports the rest of the colony. The tentacles (dactylozooids) are polyps concerned with the detection and capture of food and convey their prey to the digestive polyps (gastrozooids). Reproduction is carried out by the gonozooids, another type of polyp.

Distribution
The Bluebottle, Pacific man-o-war, is found in marine waters in the Indian and Pacific Oceans. The only other species, Physalia physalis , the Portuguese man-o-war is found in the Atlantic ocean.

So close, but no cigar to the one that stung @ChristineM

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
My first thought was "Man, that looks a lot like a Portuguese Man of War". So I Google searched the name and came up with this:

Bluebottle jellyfish

dentification
The Bluebottle or Pacific Man-of-War is not a single animal but a colony of four kinds of highly modified individuals (zooids). The zooids are dependent on one another for survival.

The float (pneumatophore) is a single individual and supports the rest of the colony. The tentacles (dactylozooids) are polyps concerned with the detection and capture of food and convey their prey to the digestive polyps (gastrozooids). Reproduction is carried out by the gonozooids, another type of polyp.

Distribution
The Bluebottle, Pacific man-o-war, is found in marine waters in the Indian and Pacific Oceans. The only other species, Physalia physalis , the Portuguese man-o-war is found in the Atlantic ocean.

Yup, similar. They're obviously alien invaders. Only way to explain 4 critters that look like 1 critter.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
The blue bottle is a tickle. Funny, I never had much of an issue with them.

Luckily I have not had a Box or a Irukandji sting.

Regards Tony

You're tougher than me, I had one wrap around my chest and stomach. I turned instantly into a screaming thrashing mess. But I did learn a new appreciation for white vinegar..

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You're tougher than me, I had one wrap around my chest and stomach. I turned instantly into a screaming thrashing mess. But I did learn a new appreciation for white vinegar..

Maybe I was too hairy :), they used to sting and get very itchy. I suppose everyone is different. Or maybe I was lucky and only had minor contact?

Regards Tony

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Bluebottle jellyfish

dentification

Distribution

The Portuguese man o' war, also known as the man-of-war, is a marine hydrozoan found in the Atlantic Ocean and the Indian Ocean. It is considered to be the same species as the Pacific man o' war or blue bottle, which is found mainly in the Pacific Ocean.
Portuguese man o' war - Wikipedia

Still bloody painful

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Ya got sumthin agin black vinegar?
(I apply it to food, not skin though.)

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
I was thinking that massive amounts of Chinese food could cure it from the inside.

In my experience you're seeking immediate relief, not a long term solution. But if you decide to swallow one it might work.