• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Irish Woman Dies When Denied Abortion

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
It´s a human being who has not reached puberty. That´s the definition of child.

I don´t think so on both accounts.
As it is not born, the definition is inaccurate. Embryo or fetus depending on the point of development are the accurate terms. They're human fetuses but they're still fetuses.

I don't know why people dodge this terminology, if it doesn't matter because they're human, then they're still human, they're just not babies until they're born. No matter how colloquially the term is used.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It´s a human being who has not reached puberty. That´s the definition of child.

Again, you are stretching the definition of "child" to include what the medical profession, science, and other sources do not label "children". If that's the way you want to use the term, fine. Your right. But be clear that your usage is not mainstream.

I don´t think so on both accounts.

I gave you three or four accounts. Which of the three or four are "both" to you? The health of the mother? Rape? Incest? Financial reasons?

Me Myself

Back to my username
As it is not born, the definition is inaccurate. Embryo or fetus depending on the point of development are the accurate terms. They're human fetuses but they're still fetuses.

I don't know why people dodge this terminology, if it doesn't matter because they're human, then they're still human, they're just not babies until they're born. No matter how colloquially the term is used.

Definition of child
noun (plural children /ˈtʃɪldr(ə)n/)
a young human being below the age of puberty or below the legal age of majority:
she’d been playing tennis since she was a child
the film is not suitable for children
a son or daughter of any age:
when children leave home, parents can feel somewhat redundant
an immature or irresponsible person:
she’s such a child!
a person who has little or no experience in a particular area:
he’s a child in financial matters
(children) archaic the descendants of a family or people:
the children of Abraham
(child of) a person regarded as the product of (a specified influence or environment):
a child of the Sixties
Phrases

child's play

a task which is easily accomplished:
tapping telephones is child’s play
from a child

since childhood:
from a child she had taken ballet lessons

with child
archaic pregnant

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
To make a new innocent victim? I disagree.

Unless you yourself have been raped and fallen pregnant, its easy to sit back and say stuff like that.

Rape is a traumatic enough experience that can screw up the individual enough as it is. Throwing a baby into that...:facepalm:

Saving lives is all well and good but who is going to take responsibility for the children after they are born?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Definition of child
noun (plural children /ˈtʃɪldr(ə)n/)
a young human being below the age of puberty or below the legal age of majority:
she’d been playing tennis since she was a child
the film is not suitable for children
a son or daughter of any age:
when children leave home, parents can feel somewhat redundant
an immature or irresponsible person:
she’s such a child!
a person who has little or no experience in a particular area:
he’s a child in financial matters
(children) archaic the descendants of a family or people:
the children of Abraham
(child of) a person regarded as the product of (a specified influence or environment):
a child of the Sixties
Phrases

child's play

a task which is easily accomplished:
tapping telephones is child’s play
from a child

since childhood:
from a child she had taken ballet lessons

with child
archaic pregnant

All of that is irrelevant here. Especially since "archaic" refers to a usage that is currently out of date.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Again, you are stretching the definition of "child" to include what the medical profession, science, and other sources do not label "children". If that's the way you want to use the term, fine. Your right. But be clear that your usage is not mainstream.

Oxford dictionary says "with child" = pregnant. Sounds mainstream enough for me :shrug:

I gave you three or four accounts. Which of the three or four are "both" to you? The health of the mother? Rape? Incest? Financial reasons?

I apologize on the ambiguity. None of the 4 merit making an innocent die.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
There are always outlier cases... what is most important is to look at what is going on in the majority of the cases.

Why Do Women Have Abortions?

9/10 abortions - the vast majority - are not done for legitimate health reasons.

Here's another link - I've seen other studies that claim the percentage is as high as 33% trying to kill themselves after having an abortion.
Suicide Risk

considering all the women who kill themselves after having an abortion due to PTSD, I think pro-life laws save more than just the lives of the children.
Abortion is actually safer than childbirth
AND, your sources are ******.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
Oxford dictionary says "with child" = pregnant. Sounds mainstream enough for me :shrug:

In English you are incorrect.

It is an OLD usage and again, colloquial.
Stop getting into semantic arguments in English, as you keep getting it wrong.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Here's another link - I've seen other studies that claim the percentage is as high as 33% trying to kill themselves after having an abortion.
Suicide Risk

considering all the women who kill themselves after having an abortion due to PTSD, I think pro-life laws save more than just the lives of the children.
Unless your blatantly biased source is simply lying.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

Oxford seems to say the usage is archaic. Try again.

Then we'll have to agree to disagree. I think all four are legitimate reasons for an abortion.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
Mental Health and Abortion Task Force Report
None of the literature reviewed adequately addressed the prevalence of mental health problems among women in the United States who have had an abortion. In general, however, the prevalence of mental health problems observed among women in the United States who had a single, legal, first-trimester abortion for nontherapeutic reasons was consistent with normative rates of comparable mental health problems in the general population of women in the United States.
This review identified several factors that are predictive of more negative psychological responses following first-trimester abortion among women in the United States. Those factors included:

• Perceptions of stigma, need for secrecy, and low or anticipated social support for the abortion decision;
  • A prior history of mental health problems;
  • Personality factors such as low self-esteem and use of avoidance and denial coping strategies; and
  • Characteristics of the particular pregnancy, including the extent to which the woman wanted and felt committed to it.
Across studies, prior mental health emerged as the strongest predictor of postabortion mental health. Many of these same factors also predict negative psychological reactions to other types of stressful life events, including childbirth, and, hence, are not uniquely predictive of psychological responses following abortion.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Unless you yourself have been raped and fallen pregnant, its easy to sit back and say stuff like that.

Rape is a traumatic enough experience that can screw up the individual enough as it is. Throwing a baby into that...:facepalm:

Saving lives is all well and good but who is going to take responsibility for the children after they are born?

If someone killed my son while drunk driving I may want to chop him into little pieces or torture him. This doesn´t mean it would be okay.

I would certainly not blame a father for feeling that way, but that doesn´t mean I will support the action, even while I can fully understand such a strong feeling.

Similarly with rape, if someone raped my daughter, wife, mother, etc, I may want to kill this person or torture him. Wouldn´t be okay either.

I would probably love to share how it feels to lose a daughter if someone killed mine, that doesn´t mean I am killing his daughter if I find out he has one.

Because anger even when understandable will not justify an injustice.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
If someone killed my son while drunk driving I may want to chop him into little pieces or torture him. This doesn´t mean it would be okay.

I would certainly not blame a father for feeling that way, but that doesn´t mean I will support the action, even while I can fully understand such a strong feeling.

Similarly with rape, if someone raped my daughter, wife, mother, etc, I may want to kill this person or torture him. Wouldn´t be okay either.

I would probably love to share how it feels to lose a daughter if someone killed mine, that doesn´t mean I am killing his daughter if I find out he has one.

Because anger even when understandable will not justify an injustice.

Its not the same thing. Not even close and it isnt about anger. Maybe it is something you should read up on, get aquainted with.

I notice you didnt address the last line in my post.