• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iran threatens British shipping in retaliation for tanker seizure

sooda

Veteran Member
What makes you think that they won't, in the near future?
Tom

They are just now experimenting with non lethal weapons.

18 Anti-Piracy Weapons for Ships to Fight Pirates
https://www.marineinsight.com/.../18-anti-piracy-weapons-for-ships-to-fight-pirates
Jun 26, 2019 · 18 Anti-Piracy Weapons for Ships to Fight Pirates. Merchant ships now plying in high piracy affected areas such as Gulf of Aden (GOA) carry Armed Guards along with a series of non-lethal weaponry to thwart any kind of piracy attempt. Mentioned herein is a list of non-lethal anti-piracy weapons that are used or can be used to fight piracy at high seas.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You cannot know that. What makes you think none of the crew have weapons? I think it's silly to assume they're unarmed. Even armored truck drivers are armed, and the cash they have is much less significant than that of an oil supertanker.
An oil tanker crew with probably no combat training or specialized weapons training taking on Royal Marines. Surely you can see how suicidal that would have been.

Cooky

Veteran Member
What was going to shoot them down? They boarded an oil tanker, not a military vessel. And landing/boarding a vessel at night to commondeer or attack it is actually pretty old history.

Im sorry, but it's very naive to assume that there are any vessels in the ocean entirely unarmed.

Nobody goes unarmed.

Cooky

Veteran Member
An oil tanker crew with probably no combat training or specialized weapons training taking on Royal Marines. Surely you can see how suicidal that would have been.

If I were a captain on a ship, I would have a gun on me. I might shoot at a suprise helicopter landing on my ship.

Screw "combat training"... We're talking about survival on the open seas.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
What was going to shoot them down? They boarded an oil tanker, not a military vessel. And landing/boarding a vessel at night to commondeer or attack it is actually pretty old history.
There have been a lot of "improvements" to high tech weaponry in the last few years.
I'm pretty sure a few guys, well trained and armed, could now fight off a helicopter attack.
Tom

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If I were a captain on a ship, I would have a gun on me. I might shoot at a suprise helicopter landing on my ship.

Screw "combat training"... We're talking about survival on the open seas.
Youd be like an 80 year old grandpa taking on a 30-year-old Mike Tyson. Training makes that big of a difference.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Bush Jr. already them that with Tony Blair. All that tea must've drown their brains since they didn't learn then either that when America wants to go to war its not actually gonna be all kick *** awesomeness they like to say it is.
If I hear Trump say....
"Iranians will hail us as heroes!"
.....I'll vomit all over @metis.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
There have been a lot of "improvements" to high tech weaponry in the last few years.
I'm pretty sure a few guys, well trained and armed, could now fight off a helicopter attack.
Tom
Cooperate and have a good chance at living, or fight and surely die over something stupid?

sooda

Veteran Member
What does "non lethal" weapons have to do with defending yourself against a nuclear power?
"Surface to air" missiles sound more appropriate.
Tom

Are we talking about the same thing???? I thought we were talking about whether or not oil tanker crews carried arms to fight pirates. Historically they haven't.. The owners would rather pay the ransom than take on death liabilities and so far the pirates haven't killed anyone..

More to the point.. you can bet your *** that a Panamanian tanker is NOT going to fight the Royal Marines.

sooda

Veteran Member
Tricky question.
I suspect you ask because you believe I don't cuz
of some disagreement about it.
If true, to convince you otherwise would be fruitless.
So I'm going to say "no", but with the caveat that I've
read of it enuf (IMO) to judge our wrongful role in it.

Iran's behavior in 1979 scared the Arab world witless.

Cooky

Veteran Member

Don't think I have not been fully aware this whole time that it was not a military vessel.

I knew it from the start.

There was nothing casual about this encounter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cooky

Veteran Member
They are just now experimenting with non lethal weapons.

18 Anti-Piracy Weapons for Ships to Fight Pirates
https://www.marineinsight.com/.../18-anti-piracy-weapons-for-ships-to-fight-pirates
Jun 26, 2019 · 18 Anti-Piracy Weapons for Ships to Fight Pirates. Merchant ships now plying in high piracy affected areas such as Gulf of Aden (GOA) carry Armed Guards along with a series of non-lethal weaponry to thwart any kind of piracy attempt. Mentioned herein is a list of non-lethal anti-piracy weapons that are used or can be used to fight piracy at high seas.

Yes, non-lethal anti-piracy weapons exist. Alongside lethal ones.

Sonic weapon being operated by a non-military crew member with a gun:
Long-Range-Acoustic-Device.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Iran's behavior in 1979 scared the Arab world witless.
Probably because the citizens of a Muslim country taking their country back from the USA would scare all the other USA lackey governments like KSA and Iraq.
Tom

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
That 2 million barrels of crude is some wildly expensive oil.. They had to make a 12,000 mile detour to get around KSA and Africa and into the Med. Of course the Iranians are hopping mad.

Perhaps the global economic sanctions against Iran are taking a strong toll on the Iranian economy as well as diminishing the operational capabilities of the Iranian military .