• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iran sentences German human rights advocate to 10 years in prison over 'propaganda'

danieldemol

Premium Member
'A German-Iranian woman was sentenced to prison on Wednesday, charged with participating in "the management of an illegal group and propaganda activities against the regime," according to HRANA news agency.

Nahid Taghavi was arrested at her Tehran apartment in October 2020 and has been held at Tehran's Evin prison since.

She was known to be an advocate for human rights in Iran, in particular for women's rights and freedom of expression, according to the human rights group IGFM.

The 66-year-old was handed a prison sentence of 10 years and eight months.'

Source: Iran sentences German human rights advocate to 10 years in prison over 'propaganda' | DW | 04.08.2021

It appears Iran is at it again, charging a human rights advocate under a pretext.

In my opinion.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
'A German-Iranian woman was sentenced to prison on Wednesday, charged with participating in "the management of an illegal group and propaganda activities against the regime," according to HRANA news agency.

Nahid Taghavi was arrested at her Tehran apartment in October 2020 and has been held at Tehran's Evin prison since.

She was known to be an advocate for human rights in Iran, in particular for women's rights and freedom of expression, according to the human rights group IGFM.

Source: Iran sentences German human rights advocate to 10 years in prison over 'propaganda' | DW | 04.08.2021

It appears Iran is at it again, charging a human rights advocate under a pretext.

In my opinion.

I do have to admire her bravery. She had a German passport and could have remained in Germany. But the article said she was commuting back and forth to Iran in order to advocate for women's rights, even despite the risks.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
And people have the nerve to call covid restrictions tyranny.
With the freedom to be forced to shut down and put out of jobs and businesses.

The utter gall of them to call those restrictions tyranny.

They ought to be thankful for those restrictions.

Heyo

Veteran Member

In my opinion.
They are getting desperate. The people of Iran are getting loath of their government more and more. I see either regime change or the current regime learning their lesson within the next 10 years.
(Just covering all bases with learning the lesson. They never do.)

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
I agree, American conservatives should stop complaining already.

Among those who consider themselves “oppressed” in America, it is an obvious fact that these people exist in greater numbers on the left. Conservatives can be guilty of this as well but lets be real. Who tends to be the most content and appreciative with the rights we do have as Americans, embracing ideas of hard work and personal responsibility to improve their own lives and the lives of those they care about? The right. Who are the ones constantly complaining that things should be better, blaming their problems on everybody else and expecting the system to change to improve their lives for them? The left.

Obviously there is some overlap, so things might not always be so black and white. Regardless of who is doing it in America in 2022, compared to the rest of the world... who is oppressed?

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Among those who consider themselves “oppressed” in America, it is an obvious fact that these people exist in greater numbers on the left. Conservatives can be guilty of this as well but lets be real. Who tends to be the most content and appreciative with the rights we do have as Americans, embracing ideas of hard work and personal responsibility to improve their own lives and the lives of those they care about? The right. Who are the ones constantly complaining that things should be better, blaming their problems on everybody else and expecting the system to change to improve their lives for them? The left.

Obviously there is some overlap, so things might not always be so black and white... but it is pathetic regardless of who does it, here in America in 2021.

"Oppressed" is a matter of degree. If you're arguing that they're more oppressed in Iran than in the U.S., then I think most people would agree with that.

But then again, I don't think anyone in Iran spouts off slogans such as "Land of the free and home of the brave." We in America are the ones claiming that we're the freest and happiest place on Earth, so when anyone says that might not be the case, others act like it's some horribly unpatriotic or disloyal statement.

Consider this dialogue from the movie Easy Rider:

George Hanson : Oh, no. What you represent to them is freedom.

Billy : What the hell is wrong with freedom? That's what it's all about.

George Hanson : Oh, yeah, that's right. That's what's it's all about, all right. But talkin' about it and bein' it, that's two different thangs. I mean, it's real hard to be free when you are bought and sold in the marketplace. Of course, don't ever tell anybody that they're not free, 'cause then they're gonna get real busy killin' and maimin' to prove to you that they are. Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Who tends to be the most content and appreciative with the rights we do have as Americans, embracing ideas of hard work and personal responsibility to improve their own lives and the lives of those they care about?
Liberal centrists, usually - i.e. the primary voting base of the sitting US President.

Many American conservatives, meanwhile, engage in fantasies of civil war because the guy they supported lost an election, and are convinced that letting people from Central America into their country will bring the destruction of Western civilization.