• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iran confiscates British tanker with 23 crew on board

Cooky

Veteran Member
A second British-owned vessel is also feared to have been captured by Iranian forces.

The Stena Impero was passing through the bottle neck into the Persian Gulf when it turned dramatically to the north at 4pm, UK time.

The vessel was surrounded by heavily-armed small craft and a helicopter and ordered to turn north.

A second oil tanker, the British-operated, Liberian-flagged Mesdar, turned sharply north towards Iran's coast around the same time the Stena Impero was seized.

...Theresa May is expected to hold an emergency meeting of the Cobra committee following today's seizures.

Iran Guards say they have confiscated a British tanker in Strait of Hormuz | Daily Mail Online

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
A second British-owned vessel is also feared to have been captured by Iranian forces.

The Stena Impero was passing through the bottle neck into the Persian Gulf when it turned dramatically to the north at 4pm, UK time.

The vessel was surrounded by heavily-armed small craft and a helicopter and ordered to turn north.

A second oil tanker, the British-operated, Liberian-flagged Mesdar, turned sharply north towards Iran's coast around the same time the Stena Impero was seized.

...Theresa May is expected to hold an emergency meeting of the Cobra committee following today's seizures.

Iran Guards say they have confiscated a British tanker in Strait of Hormuz | Daily Mail Online

What do you think the US's response should be if they capture a US tanker?

Cooky

Veteran Member
What do you think the US's response should be if they capture a US tanker?

They don't need to capture a US tanker. All they needed to do was capture one of our British brothers' tankers.

...Iran is done.

67bd18e685791af98a6fec81eb12be7a.jpg

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
What do you think any country's response should be if one of their vessels are seized in International waters?
Iran's tanker was seized by the UK and this is their response.

And Trump's act to renounce the agreement and to try to bring Iran to its knees caused this crisis.

I wish we had a real President and a competent cabinet right now. Sigh.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Lets find out if this administration can resolve this without getting anyone killed. All the president needs to do is put the screws to his people and demand ideas until they finally come up with something that works. They should tap Space X. The military guys will always come up with plans that result in more military. They are partly responsible for this I bet.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
What do you think any country's response should be if one of their vessels are seized in International waters?

Honestly I think you need a response that makes sure they will never try anything like that again.

Neutral Name

Iran's tanker was seized by the UK and this is their response.

And Trump's act to renounce the agreement and to try to bring Iran to its knees caused this crisis.

I wish we had a real President and a competent cabinet right now. Sigh.

I totally agree.

Ellen Brown

I pretty much thought that Trump would freeze if needed.

Of course there was the option, back before 1978, to treat Iran equitably. Nah, who'd a thought?

I see that lots of Europe is less upset with Iran than America and England. According to Wiki, the minimum width of navigable channel in the strait of Hormuz is 21 nautical miles. I don't have much sympathy for a Captain who can not keep his ship in even half of that channel, one way in, one way out. If these huge freighters can't do that, then the Engineers who build these things need to pull their fingers out.

I think these guys are trying to start a war full stop.

leov

Trying to stop oil prices falling.

Shad

Veteran Member
I pretty much thought that Trump would freeze if needed.

Of course there was the option, back before 1978, to treat Iran equitably. Nah, who'd a thought?

I see that lots of Europe is less upset with Iran than America and England. According to Wiki, the minimum width of navigable channel in the strait of Hormuz is 21 nautical miles. I don't have much sympathy for a Captain who can not keep his ship in even half of that channel, one way in, one way out. If these huge freighters can't do that, then the Engineers who build these things need to pull their fingers out.

I think these guys are trying to start a war full stop.

Iran is testing the UK due to the UK seizure. Iran knows the EU is militarily weak. The UK is the only power that can project any force. The only risk to Iran is if the UK gets the US involved. Watch what the 5th and 6th US fleets are doing. If one enters the strait shots will be fired due to RoE range and the defense zones of the fleet being larger than 21 miles.

Ellen Brown

Iran is testing the UK due to the UK seizure. Iran knows the EU is militarily weak. The UK is the only power that can project any force. The only risk to Iran is if the UK gets the US involved. Watch what the 5th and 6th US fleets are doing. If one enters the strait shots will be fired due to RoE range and the defense zones of the fleet being larger than 21 miles.

Before today, I had no idea that the Strait was that narrow. And from looking at Navigation charts, outside the channel it is only like 62 feet. I had thought that was Fathoms, but checking the chart, it is feet. Yallah !!!

If we had another President, that would not have happened, and we would be in a war, or not. I'm pretty sure that Russia and perhaps China would react to US action there. Tense times ahead.

Cooky

Veteran Member

...And there's not a darn thing they can do about it. And nobody will protect Iran, going against the US.

China won't help them, Russia won't help them. Nobody will.

Last edited by a moderator:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
If only Margaret Thatcher was still around.
I think this letter to the editor echoes that to some extent: Letters: Seizing an Iranian oil tanker was reckless, and now we’re paying for our actions

To seize an Iranian oil tanker, however legally justified the seizure might be, and not take the most stringent precautions against the inevitable Iranian retaliation, is reckless.

Given Britain’s track record over the last two decades of weakness in the face of our opponents, how can the prime minister, the cabinet and senior civil servants think that this confrontation can end with anything less than a humiliating British climbdown?