• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iran admits to shooting down plane

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
I hope their families are coping. Such a great loss of life.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Iran admits 'unintentionally' shooting down plane

Found it too difficult to sustain the lying? How about those responsible for MH17 now owning up?

PS Their intent was to shoot the plane down - they made a mistake in their assessment of what it was.

I hope Iran issues an apology to the family members of those whom Iran blasted to death. Also, I'd expect the International Court of Justice to issue a legal verdict in favor of Ukraine ordering Iran to pay out a million dollars to the heir of each active wage earner and half a million dollars to the heir of each non-wage earner Iran killed on this jetliner flight shot down by Iran. Precedence for this case goes back to when the United States paid $300,000 for each active wage earner and $150,000 for each non-wage earner the U.S. military had inadvertently killed on Iran Air flight 655 back in July of 1988. One million dollars in today's dollars would have the equivalent purchasing power of what three hundred thousand dollars would have been able to buy back in 1988.

I suppose Iran might claim she lacks $177 million to pay one million dollars to the rightful heirs of each active wage earner person along with a half million dollars to the rightful heirs of each non-wage earner Iran had blasted to death on this jetliner flight. If Iran were to get rid of its nuclear research program, then crippling economic sanctions could be lifted against Iran in order for this nation to be able to pay for its screw-ups.

Last edited:

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Iran took responsibility for shooting down the plane but blamed the U.S., I wonder if what Iran said will be echoed here or by democrats in congress.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
They pretty much had to. The evidence for it was becoming undeniable.

Hasn't stopped the Russians from denying all responsibility for MH17, and even producing counter claims. Is this just a blip in the honesty expected from governments to take responsibility for the actions of their citizens?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Hasn't stopped the Russians from denying all responsibility for MH17, and even producing counter claims. Is this just a blip in the honesty expected from governments to take responsibility for the actions of their citizens?
It would be nice if they did. And it would be the wise action to take. They can afford to do so and it would be an act of enlightened self promotion.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Iran took responsibility for shooting down the plane but blamed the U.S., I wonder if what Iran said will be echoed here or by democrats in congress.

And I wonder if and when the the same level of honesty, no matter how coerced, will crop up from time to time from within the Trump Administration.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
human error?
Really? Yeah right.
They just nervously thought it was a US bomber. IMO.
You seem to challenge it being human error.
Then you explain why it is.
What am I missing?

This points out the danger of Trump's having escalated violent conflict.
War is dangerous & chaotic. Errors happen. Ameristan once shot down
a civilian airliner. Russia did the same. Now the Iranians joined the club.
We can claim we're not at fault because we didn't do it. But Ameristan
created this climate. We haven't guilt, but we have responsibility.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
And I wonder if and when the the same level of honesty, no matter how coerced, will crop up from time to time from within the Trump Administration.
I am sure that it has happened once or twice. The problem is that with constant lies and idiocy from them it is hard to remember any honesty.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You seem to challenge it being human error.
Then you explain why it is.
What am I missing?

This points out the danger of Trump's having escalated violent conflict.
War is dangerous & chaotic. Errors happen. Ameristan once shot down
a civilian airliner. Russia did the same. Now the Iranians joined the club.
We can claim we're not at fault because we didn't do it. But Ameristan
created this climate. We haven't guilt, but we have responsibility.
Dang fat fingers on a tablet. Tried to give you a like. Missed and hit funny. Changed it to like. Thought about it and decided it merited a Winner. Missed and hit Informative.

sooda

Veteran Member

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

sooda

Veteran Member
And his own secretary of state is not supporting him.

Here's an excerpt:
The executive order grants the administration power to place anyone involved, even indirectly, in the construction, manufacturing, textile or mining sector on a global financial blacklist. It also targets 17 of the largest steel and iron manufacturers — one of the few growth spots in the hobbled Iranian economy — along with three foreign companies, including two based in China, under secondary sanctions.

“It sends a signal to other foreign firms that continue to do business with Iranian steel producers that this is off limits,” said Davis, a former Treasury Department official.

Adnan Mazarei, a senior fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics, said the sanctions will hurt an Iranian economy that was forced to cut fuel subsidies earlier this year, triggering nationwide protests, but they also will make it harder for government to negotiate with the U.S.

“This will be seen as another sign that the U.S. government cannot be taken at its word when it says it wants to negotiate,” Mazarei said.

Trump ups Iran accusations, says 4 US embassies targeted

Stanyon

WWMRD?

Are you saying the U.S. is to blame? Could we also blame the airport for not halting flights during this tension?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Here's an excerpt:
The executive order grants the administration power to place anyone involved, even indirectly, in the construction, manufacturing, textile or mining sector on a global financial blacklist. It also targets 17 of the largest steel and iron manufacturers — one of the few growth spots in the hobbled Iranian economy — along with three foreign companies, including two based in China, under secondary sanctions.

“It sends a signal to other foreign firms that continue to do business with Iranian steel producers that this is off limits,” said Davis, a former Treasury Department official.

Adnan Mazarei, a senior fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics, said the sanctions will hurt an Iranian economy that was forced to cut fuel subsidies earlier this year, triggering nationwide protests, but they also will make it harder for government to negotiate with the U.S.

“This will be seen as another sign that the U.S. government cannot be taken at its word when it says it wants to negotiate,” Mazarei said.

Trump ups Iran accusations, says 4 US embassies targeted
Three years have shown us that Trump is not the master negotiator he claimed.
We wonder if negotiation is even the goal with Iran. Does Israel pull the strings
to simply lay waste to Iran, if not militarily, then economically?