• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Invited to other religious/spiritual celebrations

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Have you been invited to other religious/spiritual celebrations then the religion or spiritual path you are following you self? How do you react if someone invite you?

Or maybe you do not have a religion or spiritual path you follow. would you accept to vist Churches or Temple or Mosk to both learn or e interested to see how they celebrate?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Me too. Actually it is sometimes ery educational to visit other religious paths or spiritual path. sometimes they think of a question one has in a total different way then one self :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I have an evangelical neighbour who used to invite us to everything. She invited all the neighbours, and was one of the reasons I got my 'no soliciting' sign up.
But if a friend invited me, I might go. Depends on the situation. I've been to Buddhist temples and Gurdwaras on my own. Nice places. Churches for weddings and funerals.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I have an evangelical neighbour who used to invite us to everything. She invited all the neighbours, and was one of the reasons I got my 'no soliciting' sign up.
But if a friend invited me, I might go. Depends on the situation. I've been to Buddhist temples and Gurdwaras on my own. Nice places. Churches for weddings and funerals.

I can understand well that being invited over and over again by same person can be a bit overkill :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I can understand well that being invited over and over again by same person can be a bit overkill :)
Yes, she was a bit much the first few years we moved here. We would probably moved had she been right next door. Fortunately she's around the corner a few houses. Tons of next door neighbour disputes involving police, and all that. She used to have large annoying signs on her lawn, but they seem to have come down the last few years.

That all said, true interfaith visits CAN be quite fascinating. Just the difference between sitting on the floor versus chairs or pews can be a culture shock for some, let alone what's going on.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Have you been invited to other religious/spiritual celebrations then the religion or spiritual path you are following you self? How do you react if someone invite you?

Yes, and I've enjoyed them.

We go to the same home every year on Christmas for a Christmas gathering, although I don't know how religious the celebration is. They say a prayer before eating.

And, we went to a Hanukkah dinner three years ago, and enjoyed it. That was more religious.

And we marched on a carpet of alfalfa into Jerusalem behind Jesus carrying small, woven palm fronds one Palm Sunday, which was fun.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Have you been invited to other religious/spiritual celebrations then the religion or spiritual path you are following you self?
Of course.

How do you react if someone invite you?
Very diplomatically.

Or maybe you do not have a religion or spiritual path you follow. would you accept to vist Churches or Temple or Mosk to both learn or e interested to see how they celebrate?
At one point, for sure. Now, I simply no longer recognize religious authority - in general terms.

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I LOVE going to accept a chair and then sitting down on the floor next to it. Most people don't believe that I prefer to sit on the floor or on the ground outside. *shrugs*

He he yes :) Often if i do sit in a chair or sofa i put my legs up anyway

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I do the same LOL. I almost NEVER sit the way you are supposed to and immediately look for how I can tuck into the 1/2 lotus LOL. Even sitting in my spiffy new computer chair, Ill often cross my legs for comfort. :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I LOVE going to accept a chair and then sitting down on the floor next to it. Most people don't believe that I prefer to sit on the floor or on the ground outside. *shrugs*
When I taught, I spent a whole lot of time over on the shelf beside a window sitting in lotus, or on my desk. Kids thought it was cool, other teachers thought I was weird.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Nothing wrong with a bit of comfort when one are used to sit cross legged :) But comfort in the way of actually sit in lotus even when one are not supposed to :p

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
When I taught, I spent a whole lot of time over on the shelf beside a window sitting in lotus, or on my desk. Kids thought it was cool, other teachers thought I was weird.
I love it! Do you suppose that it's just a common thing for long term meditators? I've done this for so long that it is muscle memory now. :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I love it! Do you suppose that it's just a common thing for long term meditators? I've done this for so long that it is muscle memory now. :)

Yes, I think it's common. I'm no longer comfortable in full lotus. Ankle injuries and age have seen to that. Half-lotus, sure.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Just the difference between sitting on the floor versus chairs or pews can be a culture shock for some, let alone what's going on.

I prefere the floor :D

Me too. I also prefer stone or stone tile over carpet.

I do the same LOL. I almost NEVER sit the way you are supposed to and immediately look for how I can tuck into the 1/2 lotus LOL. Even sitting in my spiffy new computer chair, Ill often cross my legs for comfort. :)

Nothing wrong with a bit of comfort when one are used to sit cross legged :) But comfort in the way of actually sit in lotus even when one are not supposed to :p

Yes, I think it's common. I'm no longer comfortable in full lotus. Ankle injuries and age have seen to that. Half-lotus, sure.

While I always wanted to meditate in the lotus position, I have always found it uncomfortable to sit on the floor. The discomfort has always been very distracting. My derriere needs to be at least a foot off of the floor in order for me to be comfortable unless I have back support. I guess I'm just that meditating anomaly that needs furniture. :oops:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Nothing wrong with a little support :) as long you not lean your back toward the wall ( in my view) But i learned that the reason full lotus is best has to do with energy that going around in and around the body when we meditate :) Not sitting in full lotus make the energy flow a bit less. But I have also used half lotus and had progress in meditation :)