• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Introvert, extrovert, omnivert or ambivert

We Never Know

No Slack
Introvert, extrovert, omnivert or ambivert.
Which are you?

Ambivert but closer to introvert here.

Introvert - An introvert is a person who prefers alone time and minimal social situations. Introverts like smaller or more intimate social events, as larger ones demand more energy. For this reason, introverted people tend to have a small group of close friends. Introverts are often self-aware, contemplative, and considerate because they spend more time alone with their thoughts and practice solitary hobbies.

Extrovert -is an outgoing person who thrives in a stimulating environment. Whether at work or doing social activities, extroverts shine in group settings and feel energized by the company of others. Personality traits of extroverts include impulsivity, comfort in social settings, and outgoingness. For extroverts, engaging in social gatherings and being the center of attention brings extroverts joy and validation

Ambivert -is someone who displays qualities of both introversion and extroversion. Ambiverts might enjoy a mix of extroversion-introversion preferences, which can mean they experience validation through both alone time and social situations. Both are necessary depending on the person’s mood or desires

Omnivert -is someone who experience extremes in introversion and extraversion. Unlike ambiverts, omniverts have trouble balancing outgoingness and shyness. As a result, they can seem like they have a dual personality depending on the situation they're in.

Last edited:

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm highly extroverted; being alone for extended periods (usually a week or more at a time) noticeably drains me. All therapists I've had for more than a few sessions have also classified me as such. Talking to people online in between hanging out with them helps with that, but it's no substitute for meeting in person.

Being extroverted definitely doesn't always entail being outgoing or impulsive, though.

extraversion (extroversion)

n. one of the elements of the Big Five and five-factor personality models, characterized by an orientation of one’s interests and energies toward the outer world of people and things rather than the inner world of subjective experience. Extraversion is a broad personality trait and, like introversion, exists on a continuum of attitudes and behaviors. Extraverts are relatively outgoing, gregarious, sociable, and openly expressive. Extraversion is also one of the three personality dimensions in Eysenck’s dimensions. —extraversive adj. —extraverted adj. —extravert n.

With people I don't know well, I tend to be on the quieter side and to listen and observe more than I talk, although I usually still feel comfortable in social settings. I also far prefer smaller groups to bigger ones and dislike most small talk.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh goodie! More labels for people we couldn't shoehorn into the original two. Some of you are already aware of my "affinity" for labels.

That said, I still fit best under the introvert label. I have ambivert qualities as defined in the OP, but the last sentence disqualifies me from being placed into that box exclusively. I'm very outgoing, but prefer solitude. Social situations aren't necessary for me. I can go months without them.

As far as finding any situation energy draining, I find solitude as well as social settings quite invigorating and don't find either draining. It's not people in general, but individuals that can sap another's energy, and I've given no one license to sap mine.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
A dummyvert is someone who is uncomfortable by themselves but who cannot deal with other people, either.

A jerkyvert is someone that other people cannot tolerate but who cannot be comfortable when alone.

Salesverts were thought to be extinct since the Amazon Event, however a living specimen has been recently found in hibernation.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Ambivert maybe, not entirely sure. I like being alone, though there are times I feel lonely. I have no friends. I'm on the autism spectrum as HFA. Masking is exhausting. I intensely dislike social events. I can function in them but will avoid them as much as possible. For example, there is sometimes a "cousins reunion" in my family. I don't go. I went on only one cruise with my family, out of I don't know how many they went on. If I can avoid weddings I do. I've even avoided seeing my family (siblings, their kids) when someone was in town. I have nothing against my family, I just didn't want to be around anyone. On the other hand, at my job(s) I am extremely outgoing, goofy, friendly, boisterous with customers and coworkers. I regularly make people laugh (not sure if "with me" or "at me" :D). Exceptions have been social functions at work. I avoided them. We had holiday luncheons I avoided, even though I was in the office.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I'm a 9 or 10 on a scale of 1-10 when it comes to being an extrovert. But I want to point out that I need a lot of alone time to recharge so to speak. Hours alone in the mornings and evenings. HOURS. When I had to wake my kids up to get to school, and I worked full time, I would get up at 5 am just to have one hour alone before my day kicked off. It was the best hour of the day and worth getting up early for.

I tell people I have two speeds - on and off. Period. I work in sales and I constantly have to tell myself to walk and talk slower. Which I do, and people STILL say to me "Wow, you sure do cover a lot of ground quickly," and things like that.

But it's 9:30 am and I am off and still in my PJs!

One thing I have noticed is this - on my days off, I still schedule SOMETHING to get me out of the house. Otherwise, I can get bored, which is an unusual feeling for me. I am typically very inquisitive and busy doing something interesting to me.

For instance, on my day off today, I have a vet appointment and then I'm getting together with a friend. Tomorrow I am working at a local soup kitchen for several hours. Thursday I am helping a friend move which will basically be all day. Then Friday I go back to work for a full day. Same with Saturday. Sunday is church and then lunch with friends and shopping.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I would get up at 5 am just to have one hour alone before my day kicked off.

It's a wonderful time of the day. I have no need now but I've spent my life getting up at 5:30.
A bit of alone time listening to the forest and some yoga before the fat hits the shin (spoonerism) when the children get up

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
It's a wonderful time of the day. I have no need now but I've spent my life getting up at 5:30.
A bit of alone time listening to the forest and some yoga before the fat hits the shin (spoonerism) when the children get up
You are so right. I am still a pretty early riser though my kids are grown and gone.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Question for introverts: aren't afternoons the absolutely worst time to be out? (All civilized cultures have an afternoon siesta!) I even have difficulty understanding extroverts when they speak during the afternoons.