• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Intro... brand new member!

Ghazaly

I'm familiar with all of that, although I also know that some Islamic scholars have argued that the penal code of Shari'a should apply to non-Muslims living in Muslim countries rather than Muslims only.
- That doesn't mean much of anything. Penal Code relates not only to subjective jurisdiction, but also to territorial jurisdiction. Thus, to deal with transgressions under Islamic rule there are three relevant things to consider:
1. The manner by which the territory was gained, by decree (amr) or by surrender (unwa) or by treaty (sulh).
2. The community (millah) to whom belong cultivation & settlement in the territory (iqtaa).
3. The nature of transgression (jinaya) in question.

- There is a consensus on territories which have been adopted by decree, namely the Arabian peninsula, & there is a consensus on Qisas (retribution) in transgressions against life (murder) for all Muslims & non-Muslims alike without question, anything beyond that is a matter of difference of opinion. Right to Faith is a huge deal in Sharia, called Ismat al-Millah (for Hanafi) or Ismat al-Dhimmah (for Maliki).

I was a conservative Sunni and lived in Saudi Arabia for nearly two decades, so I'm aware of everything you've elucidated here
- Salafi?

About what? I'm not sure what exactly you're asking about, but I can't list any contentions here either way because this is not a debate thread. To debate here would be a Rule 10 violation.
- Your contentions with Islam.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
- Thanks for the useful info. Can't say I don't love correcting others, though I can't debate in places other than those designated for debate right?
No, but this also means that you can step out of zones where there is heavy arguing and just talk about things and not have to be directly contradicted.

Hop_David

Welcome to RF.
You got your moniker from Al-Ghazali, the one who, according to Neil deGrasse Tyson, ended the Islamic Golden Age?

If you are as anti science as Al-Ghazali, you'll get your options to debate.

Ghazali was not anti science. Tyson's video is riddled with falsehoods.

However Ghazaly's into thread isn't the space to debate this. So I am hoping this quote will take a reader to a more appropriate thread:
Tyson's video is riddled with false history.