• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Intriguing foodstuffs!

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Sita is an incarnation of Lakshmi, who appeared out of the earth as a baby in her father's field. She is literally a child of Mother Earth. She is married to Rama when she is older, and when Rama is exiled, she follows him into the forest. Her, Rama, and his brother Lakshmana live peacefully there until one day the two men are tricked into leaving her alone by an asura named Ravana, and he kidnaps her. Because of a past curse on him, he is unable to force himself on her, but keeps her in his kingdom, promising her that if she doesn't choose to come to him willingly within a year's time, he will eat her for his breakfast!

Meanwhile, of course, Rama and Lakshmana attempt to find and rescue her. They are aided by a group of monkeys(this is where Hanuman comes in, if you've ever heard of him). Hanuman locates her, but she does not go with him; she wants to go only with Rama. Long story short, Rama does rescue her and they all return to their kingdom, exile having been served.

Happily ever after, right? Wrong. . All is well for awhile, until the the people of Ayodhya, the place which Rama rules, begin to talk. All rumors involving "How could Sita resist the handsome Ravana? I am sure she was unfaithful to Rama." While Rama himself didn't necessarily believe this, it wasn't suitable for a good king to have a wife in which the public scorned. So, he had his brother trick her into going away from the city, down a river in a boat. Lakshmana leaves her at an ashram in the forest. So miserable is she that she is about to drown herself in the river, but she is seen by the sage Valmiki, who stops her, and takes her into his ashram.

It is discovered in time that she is pregnant, and the twins you see in the picture are born in the ashram. There they grow. Over time, Rama dwells on what he has done, always missing his wife. Years down the road, he sends for her, and she returns with the children. Still, the public talks. Sita declares that if she is pure, her Mother Earth will take her back this very instant! And... she does. The earth opens up and swallows dear Sita, refusing to subject her to humiliation anymore. And then Rama is left without her for good.

It doesn't seem Sita is widely worshiped. She does have a birthday celebration; two, actually. Its not that she has two birthdays, its that its celebrated on different days in different places. One was in February, and one is in May this year.

I think Navaratri is pronounced as its spelled. I'm a bad person to ask for pronunciation. I mispronounce a lot, because I don't have a lot of people to talk to about things that interest me out there in the real world, so I don't get to try all these fun words out.

No, Ares wouldn't do that, and he'd probably watch you with horror. But LeeAnder totally would... and then be horrified when he was informed he wasn't supposed to eat that.

I ate a mango with the peel the first time around... you live and learn.
Oh wow, Ares would watch me in horror eat a cantaloupe like that? A lady commented on it. Maybe it was horrifying to people. :eek: I was on something , and homeless!

When precisely are Sita's birthday celebrations, so I can keep them in mind?

Does she still suffer?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh wow, Ares would watch me in horror eat a cantaloupe like that? A lady commented on it. Maybe it was horrifying to people. :eek: I was on something , and homeless!

When precisely are Sita's birthday celebrations, so I can keep them in mind?

Does she still suffer?

I think he'd be horrified because he knows you shouldn't eat it, and it doesn't taste good(to most people). But I wouldn't be too upset on his judgement... I had to make him stop playing outside today because he kept eating mud. :rolleyes: He'd get it on his finger and lick it off... Yuck!

Sita Navami is May 9th for our area. I'm not finding the date for the other one for next year, but this year I believe it was February 23rd.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I think he'd be horrified because he knows you shouldn't eat it, and it doesn't taste good(to most people). But I wouldn't be too upset on his judgement... I had to make him stop playing outside today because he kept eating mud. :rolleyes: He'd get it on his finger and lick it off... Yuck!

Sita Navami is May 9th for our area. I'm not finding the date for the other one for next year, but this year I believe it was February 23rd.
The cantaloupe is nutritional and delicious, just not the skin. :D

I won't do that again. :p