• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Intolerance is sin?

PhileoTruth

Lover of the Truth
Is it "intolerant" to deem gangbanging, zoophilia, pedophilia, and other deviant sexual behaviors as "deviant" & "wrong"? Is the greatest sin of our society being "intolerant" of ANY chosen lifestyle or behavior? Why or why not?

Based on what I've learned, morality is an illusion. It exists nowhere but in the boundaries of a functional society's method of organizing for efficient progression. Likewise, toleration is merely the decay of different morals within that society. Thusly, the more tolerant a culture becomes...the less efficiently it will progress. Morals provide directives, and keep the society thriving for longer.

Jeremiah

Based on what I've learned, morality is an illusion. It exists nowhere but in the boundaries of a functional society's method of organizing for efficient progression. Likewise, toleration is merely the decay of different morals within that society. Thusly, the more tolerant a culture becomes...the less efficiently it will progress. Morals provide directives, and keep the society thriving for longer.

"Based on what I've learned"

Well, keep at it. Clearly you still have a long way to go.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Is it "intolerant" to deem gangbanging, zoophilia, pedophilia, and other deviant sexual behaviors as "deviant" & "wrong"? Is the greatest sin of our society being "intolerant" of ANY chosen lifestyle or behavior? Why or why not?

Well, one wouldn't extend tolerance towards things that obviously harm and victimize the innocent, and it's dishonest to make such a comparison to things that obviously do not.

ellenjanuary

Tolerance is a sin. What's so difficult here? Sin is a religious mandate; those who describe sin are intolerant, making tolerance a sin. Morality is an illusion. What is important is ethics.

Wannabe Yogi

Hitlers Germany was very intolerant yet only survived a few years. Groups like the Ohlone Indians of northern California were extremely tolerant women leaders, homosexual marriage, the most giving person in the tribe became chief. They were around for 100s if not 1000s of years.

Wannabe Yogi

Any society needs clear rules to live by, if not there is just anarchy. This does not mean that we need to be Intolerant of groups like homosexuals. Most societies have out lets homosexuality built in to the culture. It is only with the spread of the Abrahamic faiths did that change.

Wannabe Yogi

What we tolerate and interrelate as a culture should be based on reason. We know pedophilia is a deviant sexual behavior because it damages children. We should not tolerate hurting kids. People who hurt children sexually should be taken out of society and locked up. Should we tolerate different religions or belief systems? Yes! As long as somebody is a good neighbor who cares what they believe.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you

I do know that there are problems with what I am about to say but, like with so many religious concepts, this one too, may be better understood in context of one’s personal relation to other beings. What I mean is the following: that I find spiritual reason to “tolerate” [and forgive] you for doing x onto me, does not at all mean that I can claim spiritual reason to tolerate you doing x onto somebody else.

Is there no truth in this thought?

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress

The morality lies in the agreements between individuals I think. We should be tolerant of agreements and understandings between individuals. With zoophilia, this sounds ridiculous but there is a language barrier. The animal cannot agree, so unless the animal is humping the human I wouldn't tolerate such behavior due to the inability to have agreement and understanding. I don't think the greatest "sin" of society is intolerance. What the hell is a "sin" anyway? Morality is opinion based with the collective opinion of society shaping the opinion. One person's "sin" is another person's blessing, depending on the "sin" of course. Intolerance I think simply stems from peoples overwhelming desire to control and possess based on thier own opinions, like with my opinion of zoophilia and my intolerance for animal humping yet my tolerance for animals humping people if people so wish to be on the recieving end.

FYI- No I do not let animals hump me.

lol....

no-body

It's easy to think strictly in terms of black and white. It is far more difficult to sit down and look at things objectively to see why people do the things they do and what effects they have and if they are wrong.