• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interviewing God

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I know what I'm about to say isn't something you believe in, but I wanted to respond to your post. Over the years, I have met some people who were worried about their own afterlife or the afterlife of their deceased loved ones. I wasn't always able to communicate with their loved ones, but I tried to console and counsel them about the spirit world and what could happen to them after death. My point is that many people are concerned about dying and what happens after death. It worries them because they're uncertain about it. Based on my personal experiences over the years, I believe the Bible's teaching about the afterlife is inaccurate and misleading.

Correct, it's not something i believe. My belief is that our atoms carry on as per the 1st law of thermodynamics. I don't believe in a soul or that the mind continues after death, Great reasons to make the most of the life we have and not put our faith in the unknown

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
........................ Based on my personal experiences over the years, I believe the Bible's teaching about the afterlife is inaccurate and misleading.

What afterlife teaching? The Bible teaches resurrection.
Afterlife teaching means: being more alive after death than before death.
Whereas, the Bible teaches ' sleep ' in death (RIP)
Both Jesus and the OT both teach un-conscious sleep in death:
- Psalms 6:5; Psalms 13:3; Psalms 115:17; Isaiah 38:18; Ecclesiastes 9:5; John 11:11-14
Sleep in death until Resurrection Day ( John 6:40; John 6:44 )
If the dead were already alive there would be no need for a resurrection for the dead.
'Resurrection Day' meaning Jesus' future coming 'Millennium-Long Day' governing over Earth for a thousand years.
This is why the 'future tense' is used at Acts of the Apostles 24:15 that there 'is going to be' a resurrection......

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Correct, it's not something i believe. My belief is that our atoms carry on as per the 1st law of thermodynamics. I don't believe in a soul or that the mind continues after death, Great reasons to make the most of the life we have and not put our faith in the unknown
I find the Bible agrees with you because Adam was a soul, Adam did Not have a soul, and at death the mind does Not continue, so 'yes' make the most of life we have because whatever your hands finds to do, do with all your might, for there is No work, No planing, No knowledge, No wisdom in the grave, in death - Ecclesiastes 9:10,5

ChristineM

Premium Member
At the time of the writing at Psalms 90:10 we find that 70 to 80 years was the average life span.

History says different.

What was the average life expectancy in 200 BC

about 35 years of age

Ancient Through Pre-Industrial Times

Unhygienic living conditions and little access to effective medical care meant life expectancy was likely limited to about 35 years of age. That's life expectancy at birth.

How Has Longevity Changed Throughout History?

At the time of fallen father Adam the life span was within a thousand years of age. Genesis chapter 5.
Adam living to 930 years and the oldest person on Bible record is Methuselah who lived to be 969 years old.

Total genetically impossible bs, but it makes a good story.

So, Adam and the rest of mankind before Noah could Not live past 1,000 years old.

See above

They all died within that thousand-year day or time frame.
But during Jesus' coming thousand-year day instead of death there will be life, everlasting life forever on Earth.

Your belief and you are welcome to it.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
History says different.
What was the average life expectancy in 200 BC
about 35 years of age Ancient Through Pre-Industrial Times
Unhygienic living conditions and little access to effective medical care meant life expectancy was likely limited to about 35 years of age. That's life expectancy at birth.

How Has Longevity Changed Throughout History?
Total genetically impossible bs, but it makes a good story.
See above Your belief and you are welcome to it.

Yes, the non-Jewish nations had different hygienic standards than God's higher standards about cleanliness.
Cleanliness often does lead to better health and contributes to longer life.
Psalms 90:10 was dealing with the Jewish nation with God's clean hygiene standards to live by.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I knew two atheists who also did Not smoke nor use drugs.
However, of those two the one who lived more like the Golden Rule standard fared better in life.

One does not need a god to follow a version of the golden rule, it comes from human morality, without which there would be no civilization to create religion to take the "golden rule" for their own

ChristineM

Premium Member
Yes, the non-Jewish nations had different hygienic standards than God's higher standards about cleanliness.
Cleanliness often does lead to better health and contributes to longer life.
Psalms 90:10 was dealing with the Jewish nation with God's clean hygiene standards to live by.

Which were still pretty abysmal compared to todays hygiene standards

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
One does not need a god to follow a version of the golden rule, it comes from human morality, without which there would be no civilization to create religion to take the "golden rule" for their own

..... and I find human morality comes from having an in-born conscience.
However, a conscience (human morality) can become so calloused hardened life flesh seared by a hot branding iron.
Even as 'language behavior changes for the worse' so does human morality, but not biblical morality.
Removing the biblical 'family-themed life style' moves away from the Golden Rule.
In high school it was brought out that before the fall of the Roman Empire there was family breakdown.

ChristineM

Premium Member
..... and I find human morality comes from having an in-born conscience.
However, a conscience (human morality) can become so calloused hardened life flesh seared by a hot branding iron.
Even as 'language behavior changes for the worse' so does human morality, but not biblical morality.
Removing the biblical 'family-themed life style' moves away from the Golden Rule.
In high school it was brought out that before the fall of the Roman Empire there was family breakdown.

Don't give me that BS, religious morality is "stolen" from human morality, bastardised to exclude those who don't worship a particular god because it makes it easier to alienate them.

I suggest you check up on some statistical data regarding the prevalence of divorce, teen pregnancy, drug use, sdis and crime. It seems the higher percent per capita is claimed by christianity.

Example. https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/articles/states-with-the-highest-divorce-rates

ChristineM

Premium Member
One of today's hygiene standard is to wash hands for 20 seconds. Washing was important to biblical standards.

Jolly good.

But quite the opposite really, the bible trends to concentrate on spiritual cleanness, and says little about hygiene.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Don't give me that BS, religious morality is "stolen" from human morality, bastardised to exclude those who don't worship a particular god because it makes it easier to alienate them.
I suggest you check up on some statistical data regarding the prevalence of divorce, teen pregnancy, drug use, sdis and crime. It seems the higher percent per capita is claimed by christianity........

I think you know Jesus said MANY would come in his name but prove false - Matthew 7:21-23
So, just to claim to be Christian does Not make one a genuine ' wheat ' Christian.

The morality the ancient Israelites had was Not the same for the surrounding nations. - Leviticus 19:18

ChristineM

Premium Member
I think you know Jesus said MANY would come in his name but prove false - Matthew 7:21-23
So, just to claim to be Christian does Not make one a genuine ' wheat ' Christian.

The morality the ancient Israelites had was Not the same for the surrounding nations. - Leviticus 19:18

I know nothing Jesus said.

Both you and i know that the bible said jesus said.

Thanks bible also says do not judge.

Right it was more bloodthirsty in the name of their god

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I know nothing Jesus said.
Both you and i know that the bible said jesus said.
Thanks bible also says do not judge.
Right it was more bloodthirsty in the name of their god

Yes, Jesus said 'as recorded in the Bible'. The Bible writers acted as a reporter would today.
Right, we are Not to make personal judgements of others by imputing bad or wrong motives to another.
However, we are Not to judge God's judgement on matters as recorded in Scripture.
What God says is sin: is sin, and there is No judgement changing on what is sin.
We can't judge who has committed the unforgivable sin of Matthew 12:32
We can't judge as to who will end up as a figurative 'sheep' or 'goat' at Jesus' Glory Time - Matthew 25:31-34,37
Nothing blood thirsty about Matthew 26:52

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Only in ritual, not for hygiene
I think you have in mind the ceremonious ritual of the Pharisees - Mark 7:2-5; Matthew 15:2 __________
David too spoke about washing his hands at Psalms 26:6 in the sense of being morally clean.
Water was used at Deuteronomy 21:6.
Water for hygiene was used at Leviticus 15:5-12 see also Leviticus 15:13; Leviticus 15:16-17; Leviticus 15:18-24,27
At Leviticus 16:24 and Genesis 24:32 both bodies and objects were cleansed by water for hygiene.
Clothes were washed in water - Leviticus 14:8 besides Numbers 19:19 B.
Thus, before coming back to camp there was washing with water - Leviticus 16:26-28; Numbers 19:7-10
in Leviticus chapter 11 touching a dead body was making a person unclean.
Some more modern-day doctors used to go from the morgue to the delivery room causing death to new borns.
If they would have followed the Bible's instructions they would have washed first.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
...........I suggest you check up on some statistical data regarding the prevalence of divorce, teen pregnancy, drug use, sdis and crime. It seems the higher percent per capita is claimed by christianity................

I think when the Bible is read that Jesus makes a clear distinction between 'wheat and weeds ' the chaff, and between the 'sheep' and 'goats' besides giving the warning that MANY would come in his name but prove false - Matthew 7:21-23

Often, someone might say they are Christian but then won't discuss the Bible.
Seems silly because when someone says they are a sports fan they will discuss sports.
Or, someone might say only discuss religion inside of a church.
But that same person won't say only discuss sports in a sport's stadium.