• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interviewing beenherebefore

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Okay, you said you might respond.

@beenherebeforeagain

My initial questions:

I thought you once stated you were a teacher or a professor. What was life like as a teacher or professor?

What do you enjoy about your home state?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Okay, you said you might respond.

@beenherebeforeagain

My initial questions:

I thought you once stated you were a teacher or a professor. What was life like as a teacher or professor?

What do you enjoy about your home state?
1) My third major profession in my life was as a university lecturer. I'm disabled/retired now. The distinction between lecturer and professor has to do with production of academic peer-reviewed research (at least in my field). I really enjoyed it; it allowed me a great deal of freedom to pursue new ways to transmit important information about my field to my students.

My university was lots of non-traditional students and first-in-family/first generation in higher education. And although I love theory, I found it much more important to attend to practical applications of the field...teaching students how to understand and use the theories of the field, rather than just memorizing hundreds of facts...

2) Illinois is mostly flat; that's both good and bad. I live in the central part, and corn and soybean farming dominates the countryside. The large city I live near is famous as the home of Abraham Lincoln, and Lincoln tourism is one of the foundations of the local economy.

As the state capital, it sucks tax dollars out of the rest of the state, and it's also home or regional HQ for several insurance companies...which also sucks dollars out of the rest of the state. Healthcare, retail and dining rounds out the economy.

I'd actually like to live somewhere else, but so far my wife and I are unwilling to leave family to move far away.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
That's interesting!

I have said it before, but my town kind of has a history with ghost stories, somewhat. There were a few real old stories involving "ruffians" from Chicago passing through. Then several years ago, someone created a website where town folk could post their ghost stories. Before the website shut down, it had amassed thousands of stories.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
That's interesting!

I have said it before, but my town kind of has a history with ghost stories, somewhat. There were a few real old stories involving "ruffians" from Chicago passing through. Then several years ago, someone created a website where town folk could post their ghost stories. Before the website shut down, it had amassed thousands of stories.
That's a growth industry around here, too. :D