• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interview with Booko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
1) What is your religion and how did you become to be part of that faith?

I’m a member of the Baha’i Faith. I was raised Protestant (Reformed) but after a while realized that I had no reason to believe any God existed. Because of that, and a few difficulties I had with Christianity as I knew it, I became an atheist. In the years of atheism, I still read many religious texts, mostly with a view of trying to figure out why anyone would bother to believe in any of them, and also as a matter of historical interest. While doing so, I was struck by the similarities in ethical teachings especially, as well as teachings about the place of people in creation, the importance of humility, assisting others, and helping to improve things around you. The mystics in all religions sounded the same to me. The study I did in those other religions eventually pointed me to a particular place (Persia) and time (mid-1800s). One day I ran across some information about a religion that began in that place and time, and found a copy of the Kitab-i-Iqan (Book of Certitude) by Baha’u’llah. After some time reading up on the Baha’i Faith, I was convinced that Baha’u’llah was really who he claimed to be, but I still had to meet the Baha’is and see if they measured up. I met the Baha’is in my area and shortly after joined the faith. I’ve been a Baha’i for 20 years now.

2) How do you view other faiths in the context of your own religious path?

The Writings of my religion say that humanity has never been left without guidance and never will be left without guidance. It also says that nearly all religions come from God, with only a very few being the result of human perversity. We are instructed to “consort with the followers of all religions in a spirit of friendliness and fellowship.”

Because of these teachings, I tend to view other’s religions as if they are part of my own. There will always be differences of opinion on some matters, but at the core I see them as all parts of one larger “religion.” If I disrespect someone else’s religion, I disrespect my own.

3) If you were to convert to another religion which would you choose and why?

I’ve thought about Buddhism and Taoism before, because there’s much there I admire and believe, most especially the emphasis on balance and finding the middle way. But I’m not sure how I would find much of a sense of community there, given where I live and the culture I’m part of. Most likely I would convert to Judaism. It has a long sense of tradition that is very rich, a great sense of community, and is accepting of other religions.

4) If you could meet any member of RF who would it be and why?

That’s a tough one. I think I’d like to meet Sunstone’s Acme Latex Love Doll. :D Does that really need an explanation?

There are so many people here I would love to meet. I’ve been part of religion conferences for years, and on many of them we managed arrange meetings. The farthest I traveled for one was to Lubbock, Texas and to NYC. Usually I’ll take any excuse for a road trip.

5) What is the best book you have read recently?

I’m about half way through Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies, by Jared Diamond. I was going along just fine, and then my husband took it with him on a business trip. Aargh! I’ve always been interested in history, but seem to be more interested in the overarching themes than the minute details. I think the Hindu view of history as cyclical has a great deal of truth to it.

6) If you could make one change in the world, what would it be?

World Peace (I don’t ask much, do I?)

7) What would be your dream job?

Writing non-fiction, but only as a freelancer. I’m not too interested in having a boss breathe down my neck any more. Been there. Done that.

I’d also love to “retire” to a foreign country and teach English. We’ve given serious consideration to Eastern Europe, but there are plenty of other options. We have friends in Honduras now, and they love it there. I’ve done some teaching before and really loved it.

8) When not on RF what are some of your hobbies and favorite activities?

I have a small garden design business, and enjoy gardening. I’m a Georgia Master Gardener and work on some volunteer projects as well, especially the Schoolyard Wildlife Habitat at our local elementary school. That’s where we keep our pet ducks and chickens.

I also read anything that has print on it. This accounts for why I now need reading glasses.

Cooking! I’ll cook anything. My favorite cuisines are Greek, Middle Eastern, Iranian and North African. I’ll bake anything too. I’ve had to learn how to cook for food allergies lately, which can be quite challenging, but it’s been fun to try new things. Experimenting in the kitchen is very similar to some of the lab work I used to do as a Chemist years ago. It’s both a science and an art.

9) What are your top 5 favorite movies?

Not necessarily in this order:

Dr. Strangelove
Casablanca
Lord of the Rings
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Good Night, and Good Luck

10) Who has been the greatest influence in your life, whether you knew them personally or not?

That’s a difficult question. I think I’d have to choose my husband Dave, because he’s around so much to be an influence. Our personalities and our strengths and weaknesses match up in a way so that we complement each other. His idealism balances my pragmatism. His tendency to keep looking at information balances mine to come to a decision and move on to something else. I honestly think if I had not met Dave, I probably would’ve never gotten married. There’s a strong tradition of scholarship in Dave’s family, and it shows in him as well. Subjects at his dinner table would range from RCC theology to history to physics. You never knew what would come up, which made things very interesting.

Discuss the interview here

Status
Not open for further replies.