• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interview Questions About Your World View!!!

Kayla B

Hello, I am currently doing an assignment on a person's world view for class and I was wondering if anyone could answer the questions below to help me out, it would be really appreciated. The questions are based off of your personal opinion and the way you see things!!
  1. What is the nature of our world? How is it structured and how does it function?

2. Why is our world the way it is and not different? Why are we the way we are and not different?

3. What is a human being?

4. Why do we feel the way we feel in this world and how do we assess global reality and the role of our species in it?

5. What is your purpose or goal in life?

6. How are we to act and create in this world? What are general principles by which we should organise our actions?

7. How do we know what is right and wrong? Where do ethics come from?

8. What future is open to us and our species in this world? By what criteria are we to select the possible futures?

9. Why is it possible to know anything at all? How can we know anything?

10. What happens to a person at death?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
1. I view the world multiple ways, because its incomprehensible. Consider the concept of 4 dimensional space. You cannot see 4 dimensional shapes, only their shadows which appear to us like 3D shapes. What appears to be an object may only be a shadow of a more complex object. This is a useful analogy in many ways, because you have asked a question about something which can only be partially understood even by the brightest and most educated.

2. Like a lot of people I believe our world arises from the nature of order. In other words I think we exist inside of something like a Math construct. This only one way of looking at God and the universe though. My view is similar to the ancient Platonian view, except I don't believe in ghosts. I believe we are like ghosts, not real, having form but not substance. At the same time I think that makes us permanent. Each person lives in his or her time permanently. In a sense we live the same life repeatedly or we exist in all times within our lives eternally. As I mentioned in #1 this may be not be the entire picture, because I am trying to describe something which cannot be described. I'm only describing one shadow of it.

3. A human being has the capacity to make moral choices and is affected by those choices. A human being suffers. A human being experiences boredom. A human being has complicated desires which are at odds with one another and must make decisions about conflicting desires.

4. That seems like a vague question, but we feel the way that we feel because our bodies and minds constantly attempt to conserve body heat and energy. This makes us lazy, ache and generally not want to exert ourselves. We are like other mammals, lethargic; and its because we need so much energy to maintain our lives. Our bodies constantly try to store and save energy. We also have a tendency to kill ourselves off when things are not going well. I think this is one of the worst things, but most human beings experience suicidal tendencies at least once in our lives. We are never fully content and need to feel needed and useful, respected, desired.

5. My goal in life is another complex object. One aspect of my goal is to outlive my father and to do my part in supporting my family.

6. You don't ask for much, do you? (sarcastic) We do not live by general principles. That is what we tell children, but it isn't how things work. We live in between general principles. We must read between the lines. Imagine that the general principles are the steel frame of a building. It still needs a roof, walls, stairs, insulation etc. Sometimes one general principle will appear to conflict with another general principles, and so we exist in between. We can neither abandon general principles nor live precisely by them, because in doing so we would be destroying ourselves.

7. Ethics arises when we reject unfairness and when we empathize with the suffering of others. Ethics and justice are also two different things. What is just may not be ethical. Justice is practical while ethics is sentimental. Both are diplomatic. Justice is a compromise between revenge and renewal. Justice is not fairness. Justice limits revenge for many reasons. A person who is wronged may be in a mood to kill. Killing is not justice even those times when it is fair or more than fair. Justice limits revenge in order to end and slow a potential cycle of violence. In the long past people did think that revenge was justice, and sometimes they do today when they are ignorant of the history of revenge.

8. You can only shape the future with the help of other people, so help other people shape it.

9. We live in between perfect knowledge and no knowledge at all. I suggest that you choose to value your life and to value the ability to understand and experience things. What you call knowledge: let it be knowledge. What you call ignorance: let it be ignorance. Compromise with other people, and count their eyes as your own. Its harder to do this than to say it. For me its nearly impossible, so I have strong opinions about everything.

10. Death is a mystery, moreso than most people think. Neither Science nor religion can give you a promise about this. Con artists love to make promises about this, as if they know something. They'll wring every last bit of your energy from you if you offer it in exchange for knowledge of the afterlife. Remember what I said about ethics? Some people don't have empathy. This adds to the confusion when you're trying to determine what happens at death.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
What is the nature of our world? How is it structured and how does it function?
It is a part of God's creation, it is structured and functions according to the laws of nature

Why is our world the way it is and not different? Why are we the way we are and not different?
Because of God's designs

What is a human being?
The only type of animal (we know of) that can know God and has knowledge of good and evil

Why do we feel the way we feel in this world and how do we assess global reality and the role of our species in it?
Because of how things turned out. And for the second thing, by studying what it means to be human and what our relationship with God is

What is your purpose or goal in life?
To do good, have fun, and progress to the next level

How are we to act and create in this world? What are general principles by which we should organise our actions?
These can be discerned by studying philosophy and/or religion and by debating with others

How do we know what is right and wrong? Where do ethics come from?
1) nature, 2) revelation, 3)philosophising

What future is open to us and our species in this world? By what criteria are we to select the possible futures?
We have a stark choice: change our ways or be annihilated

Why is it possible to know anything at all? How can we know anything?
We have evolved to be capable of holding knowledge about things. By simply living as humans we can produce knowledge, and know stuff - having knowledge is central to being human

What happens to a person at death?
Their Earthly body rots and they progress to the next level, which one depends on one's conduct as a human - but nobody can know what these are, but we can have beliefs about it, e.g. "Heaven" and "Hell". I personally would like to progress to Heaven

Altfish

Veteran Member
  1. What is the nature of our world? How is it structured and how does it function?
Our planet is a cooling, unstable rock that is circling a sun

Why is our world the way it is and not different? Why are we the way we are and not different?
Why should it be different? Different to what? Our planet has evolved to suit the elements and environment that it inhabits.

An animal with a well-developed brain.

4. Why do we feel the way we feel in this world and how do we assess global reality and the role of our species in it?
I don’t know how other people ‘feel’; I live life to the full as I know my time is limited, I feel lucky to have been given this opportunity. Our species is very wasteful with the resources

5.What is your purpose or goal in life?
To pass one’s genes on is probably too flippant; to enjoy life, help others enjoy life and do as little harm to this great planet as possible.

6. How are we to act and create in this world? What are general principles by which we should organise our actions?
We are generally a social animal; we should respect other humans and other species. Our actions should be for the benefit of all not the few.

Experience teaches us, we make mistakes and we learn and adjust our behaviour. We learn from our pears. Ethical behaviour comes from the same place – experience, life lessons, elders, friends, family.

8.What future is open to us and our species in this world? By what criteria are we to select the possible futures?
We need to reign in our abuse of the planet; we need to stop/reduce the inequalities of this world.

As I said in 3 above, we have a brain; as Newton said, we are standing on the shoulders of giants

Life is over; you become a memory.

A Vestigial Mote

The world is what it is. If we want to know the nature of a particular aspect, the only way forward is to investigate it. Conjecture (hypothesis) only gets you so far, and then you have to test it rigorously - otherwise you haven't really accomplished anything. And so, I subscribe to the items that describe the nature of our world that have undergone significant scrutiny and revision. Otherwise - what can I possibly know about the nature of our world if anything more hasn't been rightfully discovered?
2. Why is our world the way it is and not different? Why are we the way we are and not different?
There isn't a meaningful answer to the question "why" in these instances. We are the way we are, full stop. There is no "reason" for it.
Nothing more than what we humans have decided to make the definition of ourselves. The descriptions and attributes that qualify a living creature to be considered "human." That's it. Each one of us may be a whole lot of "things" on top of the general definition, but you seem to be asking for a general composition here, and not specifics of individuals.
I am of the opinion that we feel the ways that we do due to our instinctual and social development throughout our species' infancy to now. Global reality is what it is, assessing it is extremely difficult because no one can have the full picture at any given moment. Our "role" is whatever we want to make it. That is each of us, individually, and all of us as a species (if we could ever come to agreement(s) on what we "should be" doing).
From my perspective, the supposed "goal" of what most of us consider a "human" (an unfortunate emphasis on the consciousness, emotion and memory) is to keep the colony of cells (all the individual living organisms that make up the human body) nourished and out of harms way. That's it. That's the most important thing that the consciousness is tasked with. Hands down. You are a slave to your stomach. You are a slave to thirst. You are a slave to oxygenated areas. You are a slave to warmth. You are a slave to sleep. That's you. Your first and most important priority is to meet those needs. A great many of us tend to forget this in this age of convenience and technology. Once the needs are met? Then your goal can be anything you want it to be. Mine is to raise my children the best I can and hopefully leave this world better than I came to it as a result, and then to live out my days in comfort, enjoying what I can.
There is no dictation of our actions or definitive direction we should be taking in our endeavors to create and expand our "humanity." This is all up for grabs.
I don't know for sure (nor do I believe it possible to be sure), but my belief is that, as we evolved from other primates, we kept (or developed) the need to acquire help from our fellow humans to survive. We survived best in groups, and so those traits that gave way to desiring to help one another, understanding one another via empathy, etc. were the traits that won out in our trials of the "fittest." Therefore, we came with some form of compassion and empathy pre-packaged. I sometimes wonder whether psychopaths and sociopaths are some part of the diversity of genetic information - the "system" basically "testing the waters" of diversity and those members of our societies having those traits sort of "just in case" those are better outcomes for survival. This is anthropomorphizing "evolution" a bit too much for my tastes - giving it direction and/or "purpose" or agency - but it is sort of hard not to describe things in that light, even though there is no such agency involved.
8. What future is open to us and our species in this world? By what criteria are we to select the possible futures?
The future brings with it the destruction of Earth by some means. Even if that is the death of our sun in millions to billions of years. If "we" are still around (though by that time we may not be so recognizable as the current version of "human") we'd better have come up with some way to get off the planet and on to greener pastures - or at least have figured out how to survive in space "on our own" - utilizing the energy from this or that star or solar system. I think we could do it. Just need to learn to work together a bit better.
Evolution saw it as extremely advantageous to allow for memory of past encounters. This is how we can "know anything at all." Take memory out of the equation, and it is impossible. With memory, anything we can remember and subsequently perform consistent tests against the memory has the potential to become "knowledge."
I wouldn't dare pretend to "know" - but I believe death for a human being to be not much different than turning off a light bulb. The energy dissipates out of the "important"/relevant parts and that's that. Lights out. The evidence we have seems to support this. There is no evidence of "soul" or "human consciousness apart from the body", etc. All of that is pure conjecture... until it isn't. Perhaps there just needs to be someone intent enough on finding the "soul?" I don't know. But as it stands, it certainly seems like a fiction born in conceit/arrogance/ego.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Hello, I am currently doing an assignment on a person's world view for class and I was wondering if anyone could answer the questions below to help me out, it would be really appreciated. The questions are based off of your personal opinion and the way you see things!!

The world is simply a form within a continuum. It's structure is atomic in nature and dictated by the arrangements of atoms.

The second question could be posed as it's that way because it "works well enough".

Identification is relative to the identifier. Rounding out the third question I think.

Feeling and perceptions are simply that. If you ask me, our role is to simply replicate and pass on DNA. So goes the fourth question.

For the fifth, I suppose the goal is to just live out this life as best as possible with minimal discomfort and pain.

Sixth is simply be cognitive of the effects of karma. Cause and effect.

Seven is simply based on societal harmony. Right and wrong are subjective at best. Nature illustrates that sufficiently.

As far as the future goes? Maybe, maybe not. Ending eight.

Nine is easy. We already know everything.
Being a sum component of everything, the question lays with intuition rather than head smarts to answer that one.

Ah ten. Good night Irene. ;0)

danieldemol

Premium Member

1. The nature of the world is physical

2. That’s the way the cookie crumbled

3. A human being consists of a human body and an immortal spirit

4. Why we feel the way we feel is the product of human emotion and varies amongst individuals. I consider humans to mainly have a negative impact on the environment. We should do our best as a species to preserve our global environment for future generations.

5. Our purpose is self created, however I personally get joy out of service to humanity.

6. The general principles we should live by are compassion and truthfulness.

7. Ethics come from an evolved sense of right and wrong

8. I think that a potentially glorious future awaits humanity provided climate change and nuclear war can be avoided.

9. I can’t describe why it is possible to know anything, but have my conviction that we can know things all the same

10. At death the person puts of the mortal body and is awakened in the spirit world

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
What is the nature of our world? How is it structured and how does it function?
God is the Creator of all including humans and the physical universe. He sends Messegers or Prophets for our Education.

Because God has decreed it to be so.

What is a human being?

A creation of God.

Why do we feel the way we feel in this world and how do we assess global reality and the role of our species in it?

Through our faculties such as our senses, reason and experience but also through Divine Revelation.

What is your purpose or goal in life?

To know and to Worship God.

How are we to act and create in this world? What are general principles by which we should organise our actions?

Actions are based on what is right in accordance with what we learn.

How do we know what is right and wrong? Where do ethics come from?

Divine Revelation provides an essential frameworkas does culture, experience and reason.

What future is open to us and our species in this world? By what criteria are we to select the possible futures?

We can choose to act in accordance with our highest principles or not.

Why is it possible to know anything at all? How can we know anything?

We have innate capacity to learn and to know.

What happens to a person at death?

We have a soul that passes beyond this world through the worlds of God beyond.

Hope that helps. Thanks for dropping by. :)

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

1. This is really too broad a question. It's an essay answer. You need to get more specific -- then I'll be happy to answer. Even the way you worded your question is unclear. Please articulate what you are really after, and try to limit to question to something specific. Don't ask us for an essay.

2. We are we/the world the way we are rather than some other way?
A. During the Big Bang (which was the moment of God's creation of the Universe), certain laws of physics were put into place. I think these were determined by God, because these were the exact laws that would eventually give rise to the evolution of sentient life. Change even one just a tad, and the universe would be hostile to life. In addition to the laws of physics, there were other overarching laws. For example, there is math. In the same vein, there is a moral law which pervades the universe that is objective -- you won't find humans having a concept of fairness and justice on earth and another sentient species having a completely incompatible idea on some other planet. Again, this infusing is the fingerprint of the nature of the Creator, his nature of justice, love, etc. These moral laws begin to express only at a certain level of sentience.
B. Humanity has a dual nature. We are essentially animals that are evolving into something more. What you might call "animals plus." We still have an "inclination to evil" which is simply the traditional way of referring to our animal instincts, procreation, surviving, etc. But we also have an "inclination to good" aka our conscience which arrived when we evolved an amazing moral sentience. There are many times when our two natures are at war with each other -- and that is where religion comes into play, to affirm that when there is conflict, the inclination to good must win. This evolution is not over. Today we must teach our children to do right, to fight temptation. The day will come when we are no longer tempted. As our prophets say, the Law will be written upon our hearts.

3. I think that answered "What is a human being" as well.

4. You have a bad habit of asking unclear questions that are clearly beyond the scope of question and answer. I'm not writing any essays. Seriously, if this is a research paper for you, you are in real trouble, because you are ALL OVER THE PLACE. Narrow your scope. Go for depth, not breadth.

5. First, my life has intrinsic worth, just as everything in creation, from the most majestic mountain, to the most irritating mosquito,has intrinsic worth. "And God said, it is good." Just by existing I have purpose and meaning. Just by existing I give glory to my Creator.

Second, I'd like to quote Ecclesiastes: "When all is said and done, here is the conclusion: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole of man." I find such Joy in serving Hashem, in obeying his precepts. Walking in his ways makes my life so much more sensible, happier, healthier... I can think of nothing better than to worship and serve Him--to love God and love my neighbor as myself. To be able to do so as part of a tribe with a covenant, and a religious community to worship, learn, and fellowship together, is icing on the cake.

I would like to say that Family is central to my life. I would have had more freedom had I remained single, but with every year that goes by, I know that I have made the best choice to marry and have children. There is a deep, deep sense of meaning when I hold my grand daughter on my lap and teach her history, or science, or about God, or just have tickle fights.

And I want to say that even as a young person, it was important to my understanding of myself that I spend my life in service of others. In a way, I love God BY loving my neighbor. I have always made sure my careers were in service to others -- teaching, counseling... I have participated in service activities such as volunteering in homeless shelters and food banks. I didn't do it for the good feelings it gave me, but I found that the more I gave, the more I got.

6. To quote Hillel, What is hateful to you, don't do to others. That's the whole deal. Now, go and study how best to do that. :)

7. Ethics and morality come from three places for me.
A. Much of it is simply biologically encoded. There are just certain things like "don't murder" and "don't steal" that all of humanity innately knows are wrong -- it's hardwired.
B. Some of it is principal and applied principal via the Torah. As I said, love God and love your neighbor as yourself. That's the principal. The rest of the Torah are basically specific instances where the principal is applied. By studying Torah in depth, I learn to think with a kind of moral reasoning. Maybe I thought it would be okay to tell something ugly about someone and it would be okay if it were true -- but THEN I study, and learn that killing someone's reputation is serious. Unless I'm doing so to prevent someone being harmed, it's a terrible horrible sinful thing to do. That's an example of what I mean when I say that studying helps me learn to apply "loving my neighbor as myself."
C. The more you study, the more accurate your moral compass becomes. Things you once had to reason out a step at a time become grooves on the rock. As life goes on, situations arise, and you just know what to do, the way a shadow boxer knows how to handle himself in a real fight.

8. In terms of what we *can* accomplish, I think we are limited only by our imaginations. The problem is, our moral development is lagging behind our intellectual development. The biggest crises of our future will be caused by doing things and creating things we could, but shouldn't have. We desperately need more classes in ethics -- business, medicine, science, tech, information, etc.

9. I don't really know. It's the old God wanted it that way, so that's the way we evolved.

10. I don't really know what happens after death. I hope there is an afterlife, but am not sure there is. I don't think about it much because it is irrelevant to me. If I knew there was an afterlife, I would live exactly the same life I'm living now. If I knew that this life was all there was, I would live exactly the same life I'm living now. I moral life full of the richness of God's blessings (despite life's pains) is always the best way to go. So I focus on what I am supposed to be doing right here, right now. The afterlife (or not) will take care of itself.

And we'll all eventually find out :)

Thanks for listening.

Jesuslightoftheworld

The world has nothing to offer us!

10. What happens to a person at death.

i have a Biblical worldview:

1. The world was created by God for us to live and have a loving relationship with Him. Apart from man the world is complex and perfectly made and is sustained by God. Everything came from Him. God is the concept of ultimate reality. The existence and purpose of the world around me are both physical and spiritual.

2. The world is the way it is and we are the way we are simply because God designed that way.

3. A human being is a being that is alive with soul and we have a self consciousness.Our bodies are made to live physically and our soul or spirit is our connection to our Creator. He created life itself.

4. Some of the reasons we feel about the world the way we do is cultural. From the beginning humans have always confronted the issues of God, humanity, and nature. Why has humanity even have the idea of God if He didn’t exist? I assess my role in the world by knowing God’s nature and He has revealed His character and a guide to life in the Bible.

5. My purpose in life is whatever God determines to be His Will for me life. It’s taken 47 years to see it, but I believe I am finally living out my purpose. My life is not my own, it belongs to God as do I. It is very simple to love and be loved by God and dedicating it to do God’s Will. And His Will is what truly will make us happy, content, and fulfilled. That is my goal. It’s the only thing that matters.

6. Everything we will ever need to know is in the Bible. We are to seek His guidance, to be kind, loving, humble, honest, thankful, generous, to serve rather than to be served, forgive, Selflessness, seek wisdom, take the road less traveled. To turn away from sin. God uses people to help other people. And ultimately, we glorify him when we do these things. To be disciplined and build character. Philippians 3:8 “I consider everything a loss compared to surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus our Lord for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish that I may gain Christ.

7. We know right from wrong because it is hard wired into us. But God gave us free will to chose for ourselves. But with choice comes consequences. We get our ethics from culture and our worldview. Our worldview should determine our values and then our behavior from our values. But in society today people behave how they want then create their values to justify their behavior, and then pick a worldview or many worldviews that suited them. It’s a way to not have to be accountable for their choices. They lie to themselves, deny God, and self indulge.

As we move further and further from God, the future of this world is grim. How much longer can it continue this way? Can you not see the signs? We could change it around we have the control to do that, but man’s heart must first change. And they won’t. We cannot avoid the inevitable. It is all going to come to and end. It has been prophesied in the Bible. Jesus will come again and save His people and the rest will die.

9. We can know that we exist and we are real. From there it is just simply connecting the dots. Are we evolved or created. The only way it makes sense is the way it is written in the Bible.

10. When we die our bodies stop working, then our soul either goes to God in Heaven to live on in Spirit for eternity. Or our soul goes to Hell and burned and tortured in total separatation from God for eternity.