• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ni_ki

Hi! My name is Niki! I am a nursing student. I was given an assignment to conduct an interview with someone from another religion. Everyone I know is either not religious or is in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day saints. I need to interview someone who is NOT LDS.

1. What religion do you practice?
2. What state do you live in? Are there many people in your area that also practice your religion?
3. What are some of the rituals related to death do you perform or observe?
4. What is your belief about birth?
5. What is your belief about death?
6. Do you have any suggestions on what nursing care should be adjusted to accommodate for your religion/belief?

Thank you so much! I need responses before 09/25th

Last edited:

Eyes to See

Hi! My name is Niki! I am a nursing student. I was given an assignment to conduct an interview with someone from another religion. Everyone I know is either not religious or is in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day saints. I need to interview someone who is NOT LDS.

2. What state do you live in? Are there many people in your area that also practice your religion?
6. Do you have any suggestions on what nursing care should be adjusted to accommodate for your religion/belief?

1. Practice the faith of the Jehovah's Witnesses. jw.org
2. Live in Mexico. There are around 1 million JWs in Mexico.
3. We don't practice rituals at someones death. We have a brief memorial talk that is based on the Bible's hope of a resurrection to give consolation to the grieving relatives. We believe that death is the cessation of thinking as the Bible says in Ecclesiastes 9:5, and that there is going to be a future resurrection of our dead loved ones either to heavenly life if they have been called to heaven, or earthly life in a paradise under Jesus' Christ kingdom rule.
4. JWs believe that birth is the beginning of existence. The Bible does not teach that we preexisted either as celestial beings or other earthly creatures as some religions teach. I know LDS teaches the former. No offense.
5. Again as stated in number 3, we believe what the Bible states:

"For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing at all.-Ecclesiastes 9:5.

The Bible likens death to a sleeplike condition:

"Moreover, brothers, we do not want you to be ignorant about those who are sleeping in death, so that you may not sorrow as the rest do who have no hope."1 Thessalonians 4:13.

Death is the consequence of sin and thus once a person has died he has paid for his sins. He does not go somwhere, to either heaven or hell, or purgatory to pay for or be rewarded for their sins:

"For the wages sin pays is death, but the gift God gives is everlasting life by Christ Jesus our Lord."-Romans 6:23

6. No.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I've been an RN for ~40 years. I don't consider myself "religious," in the usual sense, but, like many Hippies, I identify with Hinduism and consider myself such.

1. What religion do you practice? I don't "practice."
2. What state do you live in? Are there many people in your area that also practice your religion? New Mexico. There are few that I'm aware of.
3. What are some of the rituals related to death do you perform or observe? Nothing formal. Respect, burial or cremation.
4. What is your belief about birth? A pretty broad question. Are you talking about obstetrics, reproduction, or something abstract or spiritual?
5. What is your belief about death? Another broad question. Specify?
6. Do you have any suggestions on what nursing care should be adjusted to accommodate for your religion/belief? Respect the religious beliefs that give the client comfort. Allow clergy and in-room religious rituals.
de nada.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Sorry if I skip the others, but this is one Inhave frequently wanted amd needed someone to hear me out.
Respect people of other faiths. If someone doesn't have one and doesn't affliate with any and doesn't consider themselves spiritual, don't tell them this or that makes them spiritual. If they tell you they have no religion don't list it as "unknown" as if no one bothered to ask. Don't pester them about prayers. If they tell you no, treat it like a no.
These have been an issue I've dealt with since I quit religion. It gives me the impression they either aren't listening or are prejudiced against those with none (studies suggest we are discriminated against and recieve lesser
quality of care).
And for the love of everything never tell someone they should leave and move away from their home. Just don't. It hurts, its painful, amd infuriating (and not good for those of us who already generally do not trust healthcare workers). And nip the "us vs them" mentality where you see it. It can make the job harder for everyone invovled, amd put a "them" like me in an awkward and uncomfortable position if they become an "us."
*these examples happened when I lived in Indiana. It's gotten generally better for me in California.

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

1. I am a Left-Hand Path polytheist who follows the Germanic Heathen worldview and cosmology with influences from Kalikua Shaktism (the form of Hinduism that focuses on the Goddess Kali as the Supreme Being).
2. I live in Ohio. I don't know of anyone here who shares my exact beliefs. My path is a solitary one.
3. I would like to have a human skull (ethically sourced, of course) to meditate with and a charnal ground or cemetery nearby when I'm close to death.
4. Birth as when we emerge from our mother's uterus? Just a necessary stage to go through to experience this world. Our coming as is important as our leaving. A major event.
5. A transition to another state of being.
6. I wish that nursing homes will be more understanding of the needs of religious minorities and that staff should educate themselves on Satanism and general Left-Hand Path religions, including from Hinduism and Buddhism so they will be more accepting of non-mainsteam spiritual practices.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
1. I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

2.a) Alabama. b) Quite a few, all over.

3. No rituals. According to Genesis 3:19 & Psalms 146:3-4, it is the end of life ....until the Resurrection, promised to come later. (John 6:44) All we have, are viewing times, then about 30-min. long Memorial services, and maybe a repast afterwards, all to support the grieving loved ones and to reinforce our faith in Jehovah's promises. Cremation or burial is fine.

4. I may not understand the question. It's the start of life...no pre-existence. We do believe that imperfection / sin (leading to death) is an inherited state, per Romans 5:12. We also reach this conclusion, when we read about the long lifespans of the immediate generations after A&E's rebellion, then gradually reduced to the normal 70 - 80 yrs by Joshua's day.

5. Death is the payment for sin...there's no further punishment. (Romans 6 7,23) This harmonizes with God being love. Future life comes when the Resurrection happens. (Further evidence of God's love.)

6. Well, more R & D into bloodless surgery. Many hospitals find it a better way to manage healthcare.

Ni_ki

Thank you so much for the replies! I have definitely learned a lot from your responses! Again thank you so much for sharing your beliefs and religion with me! :)

Ni_ki

Sorry that the questions are so broad. Those were the questions my teacher gave me, I think he made it broad because every religion is different, if it was too specific it might not fit for some religions. Is there a term you would prefer besides "practicing'? I had issues with this term too but I wasn't sure how else to word it.

I think for birth and death. It's really about what is your own personal thought about birth and death. So it could be both spiritual, physical, or both.

Ni_ki

Sorry if I skip the others, but this is one Inhave frequently wanted amd needed someone to hear me out.
Respect people of other faiths. If someone doesn't have one and doesn't affliate with any and doesn't consider themselves spiritual, don't tell them this or that makes them spiritual. If they tell you they have no religion don't list it as "unknown" as if no one bothered to ask. Don't pester them about prayers. If they tell you no, treat it like a no.
These have been an issue I've dealt with since I quit religion. It gives me the impression they either aren't listening or are prejudiced against those with none (studies suggest we are discriminated against and recieve lesser
quality of care).
And for the love of everything never tell someone they should leave and move away from their home. Just don't. It hurts, its painful, amd infuriating (and not good for those of us who already generally do not trust healthcare workers). And nip the "us vs them" mentality where you see it. It can make the job harder for everyone invovled, amd put a "them" like me in an awkward and uncomfortable position if they become an "us."
*these examples happened when I lived in Indiana. It's gotten generally better for me in California.

I'm sorry you went through that! It's important that we respect those who are part of a religion and those who are not. At the end of the day we are all people who deserve to be loved and cared for.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi @Ni_ki ,

Welcome to RF

The Baha’i Faith

I live in a small city in New Zealand where there are about 70 Baha’is.

We have a special prayer for the dead and burial.

The soul begins at conception.

The soul progresses through the worlds God after this physical life ends.

I am a medical doctor. I am a firm believer in Interfaith chaplaincy services. There is nothing specific that nurses should do when caring for Baha’i patients. Baha’is don’t consume alcohol and are discouraged from smoking.

All the best with your nursing studies.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
1. Buddhism. (Sōtō Zen / secular).
2. The UK. No. At the last census (2011) 0.28% identified as Buddhist.
3. Hmmm...can't think of any. I think it's a thing in Japan, but I've not really looked into it. According to Wikipedia, about 90% of Japanese funerals are conducted as Buddhist. (I only mention this because Sōtō Zen originated in Japan).
4. It marks the beginning of consciousness.
5. It marks the end of consciousness.
6. Talk to the individual and try to accommodate any wishes. If you were looking after me I'd probably need more cake.

Best wishes with your studies. :thumbsup:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Hinduism

I live in Ohio. Pew indicates that less than 1% of the state's population is Hindu.

Religion in America: U.S. Religious Data, Demographics and Statistics

I don't perform any, personally. But I don't presume to speak for any other Hindus.

In my true nature, I am eternal. Pure consciousness. I existed before my birth.

Essentially the same as my belief about birth. My true nature is eternal. Though my body will expire, I do not die.

Nothing needs to be done to accommodate me from a religious standpoint, though I would hope that nurses are clear on the wishes of others that request special accommodations that align with belief and provide them, within reason, of course.

You're quite welcome.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
First welcome to RF, hope the answers to your questions give you plenty to think about

And now... Atheist, here, yes you will meet some of us loathed reprobates during your career so here's a bit from my non religious point of view

None

None. I am British living in France

What are some of the rituals related to death do you perform or observe?

None although i understand some people would at least want to say a few words about my life.

It hurts. Get it over with and behind you so you can concentrate on the child

Very long story involving the first law of thermodynamics so i won't recount it here unless you really need to know, in which case PM me.

Edit: the thing about death is, the real thing is that i would like to avoid it as long as possible.

Where i live atheism is accepted, in fact healthcare has no need to know anyone's religious or otherwise beliefs. Just accept people for what they are.

Good luck

Last edited:

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
1: Sanathana Dharma
2: The Netherlands. Not many practice my Religion in my area
3: "Who Am I" practice; most efficient practice to overcome "death"
4: "We are born, to not be born again"
5: "Death is an illusion, because we are in reality incarnations of the Divine"
6: Respect my wishes, that is enough

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

1. Hindu, monistic Saiva Siddhanta
2. Canada, there are 12 Hindu temples in my city, maybe 20 000 Hindus.
3. 31 day retreat from religion, cremation of the body, no food eaten at funeral, open casket, Vedic hymns
4. It's a time to be sad, soul is entering another round of samsara, who knows what karmas they will face
5. A time to rejoice, another round of samsara finished, soul gets a break from this place, moving on to a new body
6. Watch for diet, (you should ask) women would prefer a female nurse, accommodate for prayer, in dying some might like to voluntarily fast